LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI Lotus!

Tigz™

MattyB

My mate has a S2 sport135 in yellow. It was the first Elise I drove and I instantly knew I wanted one (well I wanted one since they were released) but after a drive in the series 2 I was hooked more than ever.

I really like the series 1 sport160 or series 1 VHPD190 but I wanted reliability at least close to the ultimate dependability the Lupo gave me. The 111R is fast, very fast but certainly less raw than the series 1 and perhaps a little bit too far from the original Elise concept for some although it is just right for me...well it is now it has the stage 2 as it was too quiet standard.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
You been driving this yet Darren?

8000 miles worth mate. Been to Wales and done Snowdonia and the Evo triangle which was amazing fun. Off to 'Ring next month too.

Few more modifications since last time too. Small front number plate, front plastic arch trims removed, ITG filter, de-snorkelled intake and the VSV intake flap de-activated (these 3 modifications give intake noise similar to a Lupo with a BMC). Oh and 12 coats of Zymol too!

Still toying with 4 point harnesses (might make it too fussy and put me off using it so much) and some Nitron coilovers and a full geometry set-up (might prevent me getting on my drive).

Harnesses are terrable to live with, you need to be able to move around the cab in the Elise, at junction if I remember my previous passenger rides.

Plus its a 'Luxury' interior, may spoil the look LOL

That car is crying out for ITBs Darren.

I wouldn't bother with either harnesses or Nitrons unless your doing alot of trackwork. Nitrons are overkill for the road, and they're not cheap either.

Harnesses are ok if you keep the original belts in, so you have option.

Still looking at Exiges here - but they tip even further into inpracticality!

Andi, Matt, thankyou for the feedback on harnesses. I tried a Cup 255 with them and thought they may be a little restrictive which has held off any decision to get them yet. I could just reach the radio and heater with them tight but not passenger window switch...more importantly though I would struggle to see when at tight junctions, when parking and also I would have to undo them everytime I needed to reverse. I think you may both be right in that they may be too much for the road, I would want to remove the standard belts too so it would be all or nothing then.

I only really fancy Nitrons to lower the ride height a bit. I specified full Exige suspension and geometry (so it is already really hard riding) but it still seems a little high, especially at the front. Ohlins are too expensive and Lotus adjustable suspension has only 10mm of height adjustment so I figured Nitrons might be a good compromise.

I know I shouldn't have but I already looked in to some ITB's Andi. Not really anything available which is a shame as they would suit the engine with its high revving, low inertia characteristics. Apparantly 'the best' cylinder head of any road car with amazing flow characteristics all done by yamaha so some 'bodies would be very nice and likely give good power gains and the usual amazing 'noise' (ever heard a sport 190)? I think for the first time ever I am thinking about forced induction, proven (cars running with lots of miles on the kits) aftermarket charger kit that takes power to about 260bhp and is about £3500 all fitted and running. Not as nice sounding as 'bodies but based on the supercharged Elise I drove there is going to still be some whooshing. :D

• 1 month later...

Been enjoying the car a fair bit lately. Reason I was not at E38 was that I was at the Nurburgring lapping the Lotus (and getting taken out in the ring taxi, a 480bhp RS4 and a Boxster). Update on how Lotus life is going.

1. All badges removed except "LOTUS" letters from the rear.

2. Factory fitted Exige seats.

3. Lotus stage 2 exhaust (lots of popping and banging).

4. 3/4 sized from number plate.

5. ITG panel filter, intake trumpet/silencer removed and the VSV solenoid disabled (leaves intake flap open all the time). We have awesome induction without the heatsoak that induction kits cause.

6. 14 coats of Zymol (lol).

Still deciding on some suspension and whether to have itb's or a charger when warranty runs out next year.

Some recent pictures.

2008-SIDE1.jpg

2008-SIDE8.jpg

DAY4-THELOTUS2.jpg

DAY4-THELOTUS3.jpg

Mock up of how I want it sat with new suspension

2008-THESLAMMEDEFFECT.jpg

And yes...I do still do cleaning!

2008-ZYMOLREFLECTIONS3.jpg

2008-ZYMOLREFLECTIONS4.jpg

2008-CLEANUNDERNEITH.jpg

Car is looking sweet as a nut darren!

Hope this doesn't seem like gratuitus advertising, but Norlog (Northern Lotus owners group) are having a rolling road day at awesome saturday after next mate (20th September) If you fancy popping down! Maybe you can get your car on the rollers ;)

Cheers, Al. (nfbr)

I facking miss mine loads. Not so much with the downpours we've been having (I'd need to start bailing out I think) but the whole experience was unmatched.

How are you finding it now, I know a while back you said you weren't sure you'd done the right thing in selling the Lupo?

And incidentally, where *is* your GTi? I'd have expected it to pop up on this forum at some point, given its spec.

MattyB

If I had not had such rubbish experiences with Rover products in the past I would have bought a S1 sport 160 as they are for me the best example of what the Elise is about. I thoroughly understand why you miss your old car so much, every journey would have been an occasion of motorsport-esque experience. The S2 is just a little bit more civilised and loses some of the occasion that the S160 has.

I still miss the Lupo but I am starting to enjoy the Lotus for what is all about. A while ago I did a road trip to Wales and spent 2 days around the "Evo triangle" driving it many times chasing my mate in an Exige and another in an old 911. We really got to work the cars hard and it made me realise how capable the car is. 2 weekends ago I was at the Nurburgring and took the Elise out for a couple of laps, again making me realise how the car just feels at home on any road (apart from some of the odd cambers and bumps)!

Now the Elise is making the right kind of noises it adds to the experience, just need to get it lowered and then it will be how I want it for now. I said this with the Lupo but I really cannot see me selling this car through choice...unless I can suddenly afford a 360 CS one day.

Not heard anything about the old Gti since it went up for sale at a garage in Leicester a few months ago. Was hoping it would get spotted or be at E38 but not heard anything. It will have needed an MOT by now so wonder if it is off the road as it would not pass on the map it had on...needed the MOT map. I hope it is still alive, was totally mint when I sold it a year ago.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

• 5 months later...

Little bit of an update after the car having done very little work over winter (apart from a track day at Snetterton which was sliding, tyre-melting fun).

Anyway a few more changes.

1. Free this one apart from a whole afternoon of my time, most of which was getting the parts off the car and back on again. It is a modification to the air box to replicate the recently released 'cup' airbox for the supercharged Exige. Hopefully it should prevent any inlet depression now the open area to the airbox is increased. I also have the ITG panel fiter in the airbox and also the vacuum operated flap permanently open for even more inlet area (and a great induction roar).

Original opening.

2008-AIRBOXWITHSNORKELREMOVED.jpg

My modified airbox

2008-CUPSTYLEAIRBOX2.jpg

2. Not free this one. £1830 worth of custom specified Nitrons (adjustable everything) with Eibach springs.

Rear springs are 8" long and 550lb rating. Front springs are 7" long with 400lb rating.

Custon valved dampers by Hofmann's (pretty well known in Lotus community).

Ride height is down about 32mm at the front and 25mm at the rear giving a nice stance and the all important rake front to rear.

Car corner weighted with caster, camber and toe all set to their optimum for the car's height, weight and specification.

The stance for the road, about the same ground clearance as the Lupo had, this handles better though!

2009-SIDE3ROOFOFF.jpg

Getting out of my drive (worse with me in the car)

2009-SLAMIT.jpg

3. £15 for some paint and a day of my time (including cleaning all the wheel arches and 'stuff' under there. I painted the standard grey callipers with black paint and then highlighted the 'LOTUS' with some storm titanium paint to match the bodywork. This photo was taken a week or so after I did the painting without the car being cleaned so the calliper looks dirty, only time I thought to take a quick photo.

2009-FRONTBRAKES.jpg

:wub:

fantastic darren, id love a series 1.

january's evo had a good artical on lotus' old and new... driving it on the welsh roads must be a hoot!

looks perfect at its new ride height too!

• 2 months later...

A little update with some recent shots as I went to the Nurburgring two weeks ago. See, I do actually drive the car as well as clean it :lol:

Clean before I set off.

2009-SIDE8.jpg

My second lap this year.

DAY2-DAZONTHERING.jpg

My third lap this year...giving it plenty through the carrousel.

DAY3-DAZONTHERING2.jpg

Just past 16,000 miles now and not even two years old yet. (Pretty lazy really, I did 40,000 miles in my Lupo in the first two years).