3 months and 5059 miles, a bit a report.

AndyW

...I'm bored silly, its bank holiday, the girlfriend is working and I've spent all afternoon washing the car. Only thing left is to post about the car biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Its now almost 3 months (give or take a week or so) since I began my Lupo adventure, and its been pretty damn good so far I must say.

No mechanical faults as yet, though its much to early to count the chickens just yet. I've done a fair few miles in a short time, but this is very normal for me, I have a 40 mile a day commute to work, and I just love my driving so its to be expected. Also, I zip between my place in Cardiff, the girlfriends place at uni in aberystwyth (though not any longer as shes just moved home) and my folks place in the midlands, so to complain that I've piled on the miles is silly, I'm all over the place!

The GTi has so far been nothing more than fantastic, it does exactly what it says on the tin, and I love it for it. In my Punto I was always aware that I needed more power, and pulling away from stand still with just 82bhp was always going to be an issue. I've now decided that for the moment anyway, 125bhp is all I need. For the sort of day to day driving and short blasts that I do the GTi is nothing short of perfect, if a car was ever designed for the great british b road, this is it, and it can be propelled to way past the legal limit should that be your desire.

This however, we already know, those of us who are GTi driving know just how good it is, but we also know it has a couple of issues.

First, for me, it still doesn't steer when pressing along aswell as a MINI, I don't like admitting it, but its true. I'm very interested to drive a GTi with coilovers, as I hope from what everyone says, this may cure the dreaded roll, but we'll have to see. If it does, I'm getting a set asap.

Actually, thats the only thing I can think thats wrong with it, I haven't yet had a problem with the boot space as normally its only me and Sarah in the car, and for rear passengers there is notablly more room than in my old Punto, a larger looking car.

Mechanically this car is fantastic, I defy anyone to find a better gear box in any car at this price point, the MINI's isn't a patch (though I gather this has now been changed in the newly revised cars), the Xenons are typical VAG, bloody great, and in the last few hundred miles my engine has loosed up yet again. I can't really fault a thing, and I'm trying!

Sadly, the Lupo has been slightly tarnished. There was that badger that I hit some while back, I haven't done anything about having the bumper sorted out yet, its not that noticeable, and I may wait until service time.

I have a scratch on the drivers door made by a kind lady in a Safeway car park, she did however give me £20 and was very sorry.

However, a few weeks back, on the evo meet infact, a new set of scratches appeared on the drivers side of the bonnet above the headlight, lots of little surface marks and scratches. My best guess is that someone in a pair of jeans leant or sat on the car while it was parked outside Sarahs halls of residence. Should be cured by `t-cut` as they aren't deep.

And thats it really, as I've said before, first upgrade is a new stereo, but thats been put off again, I seem to have less money now I'm working than when I was a student, and after I finally get that, a BMC, new exhaust, some OZ wheels, a nice front strut brace and some other toys will be looked at, but just not yet.

At this rate I'll hit my first service well before the autumn, and come september hopefully it'll tone down as, da da da, I won't be using my car anymore. Why on earth will I be doing this you ask, there is a very good reason and thats cos it looks like I'm going to be living in the south of france for at least 9 months or so. Sarah is off teaching english in a primary school and I'm off to! Which will probably mean no lupo, at least not until the new year and the areas sussed out and I've got some driving practice in a hire car corsa biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Anyway, car on ladies and gents...

That was exactly what I was thinking!

I can't manage a day before getting withdrawal symptoms, its certainly an addictive driving experience.

9 months with a Corsa.....

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
Nice report! Glad to hear you're liking the Lupo (as am I). Sure you can bear to be without it for 9 months though??

Reacon it might be an interesting experience, living without a car for long periods of time, plus it will ease the miles off the car, especially as I want to keep this one.

Oh, and to clarify, won't be driving a corsa for 9 months, will just hire one every now and again to get some wrong side of the road driving experience smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Nice to know you enjoying it smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Oh! and waiting for 9 months will make you love your car even more, i have that feeling as i go back home every month (tho it's been nearly 7 weeks this time :roll: :cry: )

Got coilovers and a Gti and can happily report that the crap rolly polly handling is gone and the understeer is negligable. Best mod yet. It really is a great car to drive now. Plus its low as hell, like all good cars should be!! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Not at all keen on lowering cars, unless theres some proven benefit, I'm very interested to see a set of these coil overs on a car as if its too low it won't be for me.

All depends on what you call slammed to be honest l mean mines around `50-60mm` lower front and rear than the standard gti `set-up`. With the dampers `set-up` properly the handling is much improved. In my opinion the standard Gti is too high and the handling really does benefit from being reduced. Especially the rear. For a good guide look at racing car `set-ups` such as the lupo cup cars. I would recomend looking at Car and Track Day Car Magazine as they are currently testing a Lupo Gti with KW coilovers and doing a full `set-up` guide including preload, rebound and height.Think theres is a similar ride height to mine for track day specification so maybe rasie that a bit for adequate road performance. Check out the last `3-4` issues or go the on the website as the mag has a forum.

Chris

Also Andy, even without lowering the car, just fitting coilovers at the same height is going to improve handleing, down to the diffrence in design between a standard strut and a coilover unit.

Yeah when l was looking for mine l found the minimum drop l could have would be 30mm. Most kits are between 40 - 60mm but l believe that Bilsteins kit is 25 -45mm or something similar

QUOTE(Tigz)
Also Andy, even without lowering the car, just fitting coilovers at the same height is going to improve handleing, down to the diffrence in design between a standard strut and a coilover unit.

Yeah, thats what everyone seems to be saying, so I'm game I think. Agreed about the rear being too high, but I already keep scraping the front on speed bumps so if I do get them I'll only set them to the minimum drop.