I went to look at a new Fox last week

IDGM

And compared to the competition, it seems the better car. The only downside is the complete lack of performance from the 1.2 and poor emmisions. Compared to the C1, there is no comparison! you'd have to put 12 bags of cement in the C1 to get the weights the same, and even then you're still 13hp up. The Citroen and Aygo are flimsy to say the least though.

I was tempted by a 56 Panda 100hp at £7995 in grey at the Citroen garage. Very nice indeed, but the deal was soured by 'brain dead' attempts to bump the cash price up by £550 and not telling me what the APR rate was. Needles to say, I walked.

I can buy a new Panda Multijet for £6600 (from £8300) through CSMA. No deals on the 100hp :angry2:

Or do I just repair the Loop?

Edited by IDGM

Would you trade in your lupo for its replacement? its probably the best thing to do with it if it has got a few problems but its still in usable condition so a dealer wouldnt suspect anything.

What kind of car are you looking for? it seems a small car for under £8K?

If so what about:

Citroen C3 - if your citroen dealer is doing a deal they are ultra cheap, ours was doing them new for £6700 at one point.

Grande Punto - probably about the biggest supermini and fantastic value too.

Seat ibiza - Think on a deal the reference is about £6,995, a local dealer to me was doing the special edition formula sport, which has a 100bhp 1.4 petrol engine, ac, sports seats, fr alloy wheels etc. For £7700 and just over £8K with met. paint. Which is superb value for a nice looking, nice driving car imo.

Out of the C1, Aygo or fox its difficult though.

The fox is a much bigger car for the money, although you would need the urban one to get anything on it. You dont even get slipt folding seats on the basic one. The 1.2 enigine is ok i think, sounds good and it doesnt mind being thrashed, although it doesnt really give anything back for that, just more noise.

The C1 and Aygo then, i did like these little things, before i had a pug 107 as a loan car for a week. I spercifically asked for a 107 to see what they were like as a mate had just bought one. It was just the entry level urban but had AC too. As soon as i started it up at the dealers it sounded like someone had removed the exhaust, it was very noisey indeed. Then on the move there was loads of tyre noise and such a bad ride, but it didnt roll too badly. Although my 50bhp 1.0 arosa is much more gutsy, although this could be down to the pug only having 2K on the clock.

The C1 comes with michelins instead of the conti ecocontacts that peugeot and toyota use, so they might help a little with the road noise. However it did not compare to my arosa in anyway. If you tilt the seats to let people in the back, once you put the seatback it does not return to its set place, so you are left sat fully farward and not reclined, so you need to set the seat everytime someone is in the back.

There was no nice little touches like lupos/arosas have, everything was very basic and looked very cheap. I did not like it at all. The fox is more of a car than the c1/107/agyo which always seem like little toy cars imo.

Pandas are good little cars, i like those, and the 1.3 diesel is supposed to be very good.

Have you been to test drive the c1 too? what did you think to that?

Edited by cardaft

As the weekend and today have progressed, I'm more inclined to keep the Lupo of Doom and see what I can drop in to keep it going. Of all the cars I saw to buy new, the Panda MJ looked the best overall, with the Fox 1.2 Urban second (if I could bear the poor performance). I was offered £1300 against either, so the valuations seemed fair.

We already have an Ibiza TDI FR and although it has performed faultlessly, I don't want another. Apparently, Seat have even stopped taking orders for new ones.

The C1/Aygo was just too flimsy and I've noticed a lot of big girls driving them today, which put me off further. The other Citroens don't appeal either.

I like my Lupo, but I'm frustrated at the lack of engine choice at the scrappies & breakers. Added to that, the cost (£500!!!!) and reliability issues of the straight swap engines and VWs constant swapping and changing with engine codes and specs, the super unleaded issues, and the situation becomes a nightmare. Nothing other than a GTI reshell has been attempted elswhere (ie loom, cradle, dash, engine & box). Does nothing reliable plug'n'play?

It's really getting my goat!

I think the technical term is it's ****ed. It's got the tell tale piston slap, clouds of blue smoke and chronic oil consumption. If my history with old cars tells me anything, it's that the bores are buggered at the very least. I doubt reconditioning it is financially worthwhile given the 'good' value of the car. That's why I'd try a 1.6 8V or similar, but it's an unknown if it'd work.

Hi I have a 1.2 urban fox the engine is better than the C1's the C1 sports a 65 BHP whith 65 NM of toque the fox is 55 BHP and 85 NM.

have you driven it some people say the 1.2 is as good as the 1.4 witch is the same as your loop has the thingh is slightly more wight with the fox (bang some allys on it you loose the wight) i like the fox you need to got to the dealer and thrash one.

Food for thought. So a Polo GTI will mate to my 'box and ECU?

As for the Fox, I'm more tempted by the Panda Multijet and it's remappable to 105hp. All for £6700!

Hi I have a 1.2 urban fox the engine is better than the C1's the C1 sports a 65 BHP whith 65 NM of toque the fox is 55 BHP and 85 NM.

have you driven it some people say the 1.2 is as good as the 1.4 witch is the same as your loop has the thingh is slightly more wight with the fox (bang some allys on it you loose the wight) i like the fox you need to got to the dealer and thrash one.

I've gotta say, driven a 1.2 polo with the engine, and it was extremely gutless, good fun to drive though, maybe better with a slightly lighter fox. I don't understand why VW just don't put the 1.2 12v 70hp in all their 1.2 cars, apparently thats a lovely engine for a 1.2. Although I havent got round to using one yet.

Pete

My loop went a bit like that, so I got a 2nd hand engine.

If you have a 6sp loop, a polo gti engine (the equivalent 1.6 16v) won't fit your box, so bear that in mind.

I intend to strip the original engine at some point in the future and have a fiddle.

I've gotta say, driven a 1.2 polo with the engine, and it was extremely gutless, good fun to drive though, maybe better with a slightly lighter fox. I don't understand why VW just don't put the 1.2 12v 70hp in all their 1.2 cars, apparently thats a lovely engine for a 1.2. Although I havent got round to using one yet.

Pete

I had an ibiza loan car for 3 months with the 70bhp 1.2 engine, it was really good, i was impressed, pulled fairly well, even with 3 of us in it going on holiday to scotland, with tonnes of luggage. Thanksfully Seat only put the 70bhp engine in all their 1.2 ibizas, so VW should do that too.

Its a shame VW dont put that in the fox, but there would be no need for the 1.4 then. But buying a 1.4 fox makes it more expensive, when its just intended to be a cheap car, so i dont see the need for the 1.4 fox.

VW have just recently swapped their 1.2 enignes about, they no longer do the 55bhp polo, thats now a 60bhp, and the 64bhp is now a 70bhp i think. So they are still seliining off the lower powered (55 & 64 bhp) ones but for the same price as the increased power versions!

Edited by cardaft

I'd wait for one of the new Fiat 500's. I want me one of those!
Why they look ok but they are ££££££ and Fiat My next car will be a Polo mybe a bluemotion or if VW make a Fox bluemotion as it will be fast and cheap.

Why they look ok but they are ££££££ and Fiat My next car will be a Polo mybe a bluemotion or if VW make a Fox bluemotion as it will be fast and cheap.

The thing with the 500 is most will only buy it for its fashion appeal, which will mean most will know nothing about it but only have it for how it looks. Which is what puts me off fashion cars like that the bini and the beetle. Although i have to say i do like then all :blush:

I had a quick look at the bluemotion today, it looks quite nice, liked the interior too, although the tyres looked rubbish, at over 5moh round a roundabout im sure you would loose it :lol:

I like the bluemotion though, and also the new ibiza ecomotive which is due in jan next year.

Thats very cheap, im asuming the years free insurance is for over 21s?

Id be more tempted by the C2 1.4HDi Furio for £9000 though, then add some VTR/GT alloys.

VTRs have those stupid paddle shift gears dont they! :huh:

its still french

The french make good cars :P

Ok they may fall to pieces eventually but that gives them character, who wants a car that never goes wrong :confused: Non of ours go wrong that much, no more than my Seats :huh:

They handle very nicely, much better than these german cars :lol:

Someone has to stick up for the Citroens round here :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

But the moral of the story is that its not German so your fighting a loosing Battle. Go defend them on a citroen Geek site or sumet lol.

If the Buggatti Veyron was French we'd still call it ***** as its French!