EPC Light - No Brake lights - VW Price to fix

Hi there.

My EPC light has come on and I have no brake lights but the bulbs are fine. After consulting the club lupo forums it looks more than likely my Brake Switch has gone. I have rung Citygate VW in Watford and they have told me it's going to cost me £94 for a diagnostic check (that's with a discount!!) and if it is the brake switch around £100 to get that fixed!! Now £200 seems pretty expensive to me, so I have the following questions.

1) Has anyone else had the same problem and if so how much did it cost to fix it?

2) If you have done the fix yourself how difficult was it and do you have any tips/diagrams?

Any other help you might think applicable would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

i work at vw sheffield and diagnostic is £49.95+vat it will be your brake light switch as they are very common very easy to fit just twist to get old one out then line up new switch fit and twist to lock into place they are on the 8th generation so switch may look different from one you have

Thanks for that little red devil!!

I had a look this morning and was trying to get the plastic guard off but was having no joy with the screws. WD40'd them and was having a feel for the switch whilst waiting for the WD40 to do its thing, found the switch and depressed it a couple of times. Still had no luck with the bloody screws and was starting to break the screw heads so decided to call it a day and go get a few more quotes for the repair. Started the engine up to move the car back and there was no EPC light. Wedged the brake with a brick and went round the back and sure enough the brake lights were on!! Went for a litlle test drive and no EPC light came on - looks like the problem is fixed!! My only thinking is that I had WD40 on my hands and the switch was simply sticking. Extremely happy as have service and new front tyres this month so it was going to be a very expensive month especially if the switch needed a fix- now it is merely expensive!!

Thanks once again - hopefully the problem won't return!!

Thanks for that little red devil!!

I had a look this morning and was trying to get the plastic guard off but was having no joy with the screws. WD40'd them and was having a feel for the switch whilst waiting for the WD40 to do its thing, found the switch and depressed it a couple of times. Still had no luck with the bloody screws and was starting to break the screw heads so decided to call it a day and go get a few more quotes for the repair. Started the engine up to move the car back and there was no EPC light. Wedged the brake with a brick and went round the back and sure enough the brake lights were on!! Went for a litlle test drive and no EPC light came on - looks like the problem is fixed!! My only thinking is that I had WD40 on my hands and the switch was simply sticking. Extremely happy as have service and new front tyres this month so it was going to be a very expensive month especially if the switch needed a fix- now it is merely expensive!!

Thanks once again - hopefully the problem won't return!!

i fixed mine once mate. by doing similar.

about 3 weeks later it came on again and i had to replace it as having a fiddle like the first time didnt work!! :lol:

just preparing yopu for a possible disapointment! i know how i felt :lol:

I had the same fault on mine, I ended up having to mod the switch a bit (with a pair of pliers and a pen-knife) to get it to fit in mine, twas alright though, it came from the dealers from new the same way! (i.e. a bit missing off the switch housing.) I think the part was about under £20 from a parts shop, was official part though.

Dan

Mine also did what yours has done and the EPC light went off again and brake lights came back but this only lasted for a few more weeks before I had to replace the switch anyways

I fixed mine myself the part only cost a few quid from what I remember (£5 tops I recon) then used this guide http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315 as they can be quite tricky to install and a prone to breaking if you fit them incorrectly ( I know the guide is for a golf but the part is the same and fitment is the same too)

• 9 months later...

Ok so it looks like the brake light switch has finally given up - not bad going with the temporary fix considering my original post was back on Oct 5th 2007!! So now it looks like I'll have to replace it and having read the article on VWvortex (thanks for that daraz uk) I was wondering if anyone knew if the part number was still 1J0 945 511 D or if there has been a newer version?

There was a thread about this the other day, I'm just trying to find my reply...

EDIT: see here

Just ask for a Lupo break light switch and make sure it's the new part :)

Edited by jon_273

Ok so it looks like the brake light switch has finally given up - not bad going with the temporary fix considering my original post was back on Oct 5th 2007!! So now it looks like I'll have to replace it and having read the article on VWvortex (thanks for that daraz uk) I was wondering if anyone knew if the part number was still 1J0 945 511 D or if there has been a newer version?

The new version should have a purple "shaft" and the older supposedly pants versions are completely black :)

Mine cost me £9 and i had a go at fitting it myself, didnt go too well and i was convinced they had sold me the wrong one.

A young kid came out and twiddled the switch and about 10 seconds later it fitted, i hadent twisted it enough. I said thanks bye

I certainly wouldnt be paying £200, £30 max!

Ok - got the part - and all fitted and working (took about 10-15mins to replace it). Many thanks to all those who offered advice and help and to writer of the VWVortex piece - brilliant!

I can confirm that the new brake switch version is Green & White and is part no. 1C0-945-511ARDW

Total cost was £8.11 for the Brake Switch from GSF Watford and a new screwdriver to remove the trim - so just under £10 I'd say. EPC light is out and brake lights are working.

Just goes to show you how greedy dealers are - £200 dealer Vs £10 DIY - Ironically if the VW dealer had said £50 I'd have said yes and they would be £50 better off.

Anyway thanks once again to all!!

Green & white? They've changed them again?

I've had 4 black and 1 purple... I'm still on the purple one now and its been about 2 years now.

Yes green and white, totally different to all the previous versions, I fitted two of them last week :coffee:

Even the parts guy in the dealer said "they have finally managed to make a decent switch that doesn't break all the time!"

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there.

My EPC light has come on and I have no brake lights but the bulbs are fine. After consulting the club lupo forums it looks more than likely my Brake Switch has gone. I have rung Citygate VW in Watford and they have told me it's going to cost me £94 for a diagnostic check (that's with a discount!!) and if it is the brake switch around £100 to get that fixed!! Now £200 seems pretty expensive to me, so I have the following questions.

1) Has anyone else had the same problem and if so how much did it cost to fix it?

2) If you have done the fix yourself how difficult was it and do you have any tips/diagrams?

Any other help you might think applicable would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Anyone know if the EPC problem would be the same on the VW Fox (2006) ?

Mine has just come on today, immediately booked it in with the dealership as the car is still under warranty.

Doesn't appear to be a performance problem, but did notice the air vents were unusually hot when blowing out warm air....might be my imagination though. Will check the brake lights as when the car was initially bought, the brakes wouldn't come on unless undergoing an emergency stop (dealer rectified)

Cheers

Rich