Any tips on buying a lupo gti

lupoking

Hi there

Asides from the obvious (crash damage, oil levels, coolant, cold starting, tyre tread etc etc) I would make sure that it has had it's cambelt done. Should have ideally been done at 40-45000 miles or 4 years. The handbook says 60000 miles but that is wrong. Search the forums for more info on that. If it hasn't had that then you'll need to get it done. A cambelt service cost will vary depending on where you live but I paid £334 for mine in St.Albans VW.

Other things

Check the rear spoiler brake light as this will no doubt be or has been broken (it is a design fault - I gave up on mine).

If the tyres are worn then be prepared as they cost between £65 - £75 on average for Dunlops or Toyo's per tyre

Check the electrics but don't be to put off if the electric windows seem a bit erratic - again a common fault.

The other thing that occurs on many lupo GTI's is that you may find it kind of kangaroo jumps when pulling away from cold but that should then settle down as the engine gets warmer. Mine does this but have had VW run diagnostics and there is no fault - just a quirky characteristic.

So there are a few starting points - search the forums on these issues as they are an invaulable source of info - in fact I think there are a couple of topics specifically dedicated to common GTI faults.

Hope the car is "The One".

Went to see the Lupo GTi this weekend gone and it was a real stinker.

The brake light on the spoiler didn't work and the owner wasn't aware of this! The back spoiler was bubling. The front was full of stone chips and the back bumper was cracked. All the alloys were curbed.

The drive was really knackered. It felt like the dash was vibrating as I picked up speed and the car felt like it just wasn't moving! It was a 7 owner car too which didn't help matters. Poor guy went to open the bonnet too and the plastic clip fell off!

I feel really gutted cos I had my heart set on buying this Lupo as it looked good in the photos.

It does seem as time passes more and more gtis are going down hill, maybe they get into the wrong hands at times. Which is a shame.

Im sure you will fine your perfect one though, just keep looking and take your time.

I walked away from 3 or 4 GTIs before I found mine. I even saw a couple on main dealer forecourts (we're talking 4 years ago) with obvious crash damage.

Just keep looking. They're worth the effort of finding a good one!