stretched tyre size library

one litre wonder ;)

righto the idea of this thread is so that when people are going to buy tyres they can see what the stretch will look like or to see if there wont be any stretch etc , posts should be to do with the tyres not the offsets etc . also in your comments if you want to add how they were to fit ie needed a cheater bar etc

ill start off with my 3 sets

wheels - 15x7

tyres - 175/50/15 Kumho KW17's

comments - just a very small stretch

IMG_3634-01.jpg

IMG_3633-01.jpg

wheels - 15x6

tyres - 175/50/15 kumho KW17's

comments - nice square sidewall with no real stretch but no ballooning

IMG_3883-01.jpg

IMG_3884-01.jpg

wheels - 14x6

tyres - 185/55/14

comments - bit of ballooning but standard size for that wheel

IMG_3881-01.jpg

IMG_3882-01.jpg

Edited by one litre wonder ;)

wheels - 15x8

tyres - 165/50/15 Nankang NS-2's

comments - stretched to buggery, tyre fitter had doubts as to whether they'd stay on, took three of us, a cheatah air compressor and had to leave them overnight to seal onto the bottom bead.

Will dig out some better pictures when I get the internet working on my other computer again.

Photo-0124.jpg

Better pic here.

IMG_7129.jpg

Edited by Philplop
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

165/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE040 on a 6.5" RM.

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

bbsoffside.jpg

Chris

Edited by Poobah

will the tyres stay on if driven hard? my friend seems to think they'l pop off the rim if driven too hard into corners

Simple answer, NO!!!! if they are put into a corner with any kind of speed they WILL come off. Every tyre manufacturer in the world has condemned this use of tyres. I for one believe its a crazy to do. *steps off the box*

As always it comes down to what degree. For instance on most RUF Porches, M Coupes, cars with weird offset split rims etc you'll probably notice that even these standard cars have a minor degree of stretch but its what level you take it to.

I'm not sure at what level it becomes dangerous as every manufacturers safety tolerance is likely to be different. Some on here look..................................worrying :)

Personally l had both reasonabley stretched rubber on my RM's and stock rubber on my standard wheels. RM's with stretched handled very poorly. No sidewall weight transfer and much lower overall grip.......although l never had one come off.

Chris

Edited by Poobah

will the tyres stay on if driven hard? my friend seems to think they'l pop off the rim if driven too hard into corners

This is an age long dabate, I've thrown my car into corners at high speed and havent had any problems, personally I think stretching tyres is'nt that bad of a thing to do, if there was a great risk of them popping off, then why would they use this technique on many drift cars?

As has been said before, it's all depednant on what degree of stretch you've got. Philplops picture looks faintly terrifying if l'm quite honest where as some of the others seem reasonabley safe.

Chris

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
wheels - 15x7

tyres - 175/50/15 Kumho KW17's

comments - just a very small stretch

IMG_3633-01.jpg

165/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza on a 15x7 wheel...

Stretchedtyres.jpg

Right here is a question, how can 10mm of width and 5mm of wall height make such a big difference in stretch. I am looking into this a lot at the moment to find suitble tyres for some 15x7s

Edited by Joe