6 Speed Gearbox Swap!

veedubdude

Im planning on swapping the standard gearbox on my 1.4 AHW to the 6 speed from the gti. From what I've read, it's basically a straight swap, just with the pin(?) from the top of the new gearbox needed too. Can anyone confirm this? And also does anyone have one lying about by any chance?! Lol

What sort of power can these boxes handle, and do they have the inherent rivet problem as seen in the golf mk4 1.4 and 1.6 gearboxes where they (the rivets) can sheer off?

Cheers guys, Andy :)

I don't know how similar the 1.4 golf engine is to the Lupo ones, but you can't swap the 6 speed box on to the Lupo 1.4's as they don't fit. But i can't remember the engine codes off the top of my head.

Im planning on swapping the standard gearbox on my 1.4 AHW to the 6 speed from the gti. From what I've read, it's basically a straight swap

Thats for GTI to GTI.

The none GTI would need a lot of work.

Sump needs changing, pedal box needs changing, gearlinkages need changing, and theres no one tried it to see if it would even work!

• 4 months later...

Just tp drag this back up now I've done a lot more research! i am going to need to change my 'box now the turbo is going ahead... The golf has a hydraulic clutch as standard, so am I right in thinking I would need the different sump to bolt the g/box too, and the different gear selector linkages? With the car in bits at the moment this won't be too big a job luckily!

The blocks are the same, and now that Im running the lupo GTi internals, i can see no reason why this shouldn't work!?

Cheers fellas :)

Well I've been looking at a lot of different pictures of my block, and the GTi block - and I dont think the 6 speed will bolt on :(

Ah well will just have to run it very carefully this year until I can afford some sort of performance gear rebuild!

Well my box is off a 75 bhp engine, and the GTi is at least off a standard 125 bhp engine. I know the golf box has inherent problems with rivets used on the diff, but I cannot get new uprated gears for my 'box.

Anyways, Ive bought a lupo block so that I have the option to fit one of the GTi gearboxes (whether this be off the polo/lupo i need to work out yet). The block itself is also a different casting internally, and is a lot stronger than my current block!

i happen to have my six speed gearbox sat in my garage would you like me to take a few pics so you can see if it will fit

;) ;)

Noddy, any chance of that pic yet? ;)

Cheers!

sorry buddy i took the pic at the weekend and forgot about them here

Gearbox.jpg

Gearbox2.jpg

06112007146.jpg

hope they help

• 10 months later...

Need to drag this thread up again! Noddy, do you have any pictures of the actual lupo six speed mounting bracket? Im trying to figure out if the beetle 6 speed gearbox mounting bracket has the same bolt pattern as the lupo - Im pretty sure it has but the pictures on ETKA are no use! That way I can use the original top part of the mount, the beetle bottom half of the mount, and not need any custom fabrication to finally get this 6 speed in!!!

Cheers :)

OK,

Top mount looks like this:

P1020195.jpg

And goes Here:

P1020194.jpg

P1020197.jpg

Bottom mount attachment is here:

P1020198.jpg

P1020200.jpg

P1020198.jpg

And the rest is still attatched to the car, which reminds me that i must take it off the car and get some poly bushes to fit it! it looks like this:

P1020203.jpg

P1020204.jpg

P1020205.jpg

John

Edited by CasperGTI