News Today

Luppie70

Did anyone see the news today where to police stood by and watched a boy drowned after saving his sister from drowning. When asked why the did not help they said they were not trained to deal with that situation.

Can anyone tell me why we are told to leave dangerous situations to the trained proffessionals when these have just stood by cause"were not trained yet" :angry2::angry:

Weren't they PCSO's, not 'proper' police?

Fair enough, they hadn't been trained, but neither have I, and I reckon I'd have still tried to help. As would most people I imagine.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually heard the full story, all I know is that he drowned and they were there, nothing else.

They were PCSOs, and imo, were probably very simple people who considered themselves to be doing what they were told.

The reality of the situation is that they have to be told not to enter the water, because if they did and they drowned, there would be trouble.

I think most people with any compassion and half a brain would have gone in and tried to do something. That sounds harsh, but that's what I think.

Yeah, they'll be under strict orders what they can (which isn't much) and can't do.

If they had gone in they probably would have got bollocked and quite possibly suspended or something. If something had gone wrong, their employing force could have been sued, so they'll just tell them not to do anything that could be dangerous.

Health and Safety gone mad really.

Edited by Philplop

Might be they just couldn't swim. Supposed to find a branch or similar to throw to them rather than enter the water anyway though depend on the situation. Sure they did what they could, maybe they were too busy saving the sister.

The truth to the story is,

The police did not watch the boy drown. He was under water and not visible when the police arrived. It was a dark muddy lake. Its not like looking into a swimmiing pool and seeing a kid on the bottom.

Brave little kid saving his sister though! RIP.

Story in the post up here not long ago:

Fireman rescued a lady from the River Tay in Perth after she jumped/fell of the Queens bridge. He was lowered on a harness and the crew sucessfully rescued the lady the guy lowered got himself hypothermia into the bargain.

He has been recommended for an award for going beyond the call of duty, but got into "trouble" from his Fire Brigade bosses as the crew weren't trained or properly equipped for this type of rescue.

See here...

As already said, H&S gone mad!

Ray

The truth to the story is,

The police did not watch the boy drown. He was under water and not visible when the police arrived. It was a dark muddy lake. Its not like looking into a swimmiing pool and seeing a kid on the bottom.

Brave little kid saving his sister though! RIP.

That wouldn't stop me from jumping in and trying.

The boy had been under water for some time. If anyone is to blame for this tradegy I blame the parents. Where the feck were they? I saw them on tv they looked a right state. Pikeys all the way!

That wouldn't stop me from jumping in and trying.

Surely they'd not have jumped into muddy water if they couldn't see anyone drowning...

I think the point putney was making, was that by the time the police were there, (also as stated on the news of our local radio station) the PCSO's couldn't actually see anyone in the water... so they were exactly gona try and jump in, for something that could just have been a false report.

You wouldn't jump in a pond to save someone if as far as your eyes could see, nobody was there, would you?

Did anyone see that Traffic Cops the other week? There was a guy who had fallen into Grimsby dock while a bit pished and the Police turned up and wouldn't jump in either. They said that they weren't equiped and they couldn't know where the lad was, or what dangers luked beneath, like old trolleys, cars etc that they might've got trapped on. They waited for the Fire Brigade to turn up who got in and fished him out with a hook on a pole.

A similar situation and I think it is all as much about minimising danger to the living as well as saving others.

Did anyone see that Traffic Cops the other week? There was a guy who had fallen into Grimsby dock while a bit pished and the Police turned up and wouldn't jump in either. They said that they weren't equiped and they couldn't know where the lad was, or what dangers luked beneath, like old trolleys, cars etc that they might've got trapped on. They waited for the Fire Brigade to turn up who got in and fished him out with a hook on a pole.

A similar situation and I think it is all as much about minimising danger to the living as well as saving others.

Thats a good amount of bullshit not to get wet!

having working with children around water; the golden rule is to not enter into a situation where you unnessicarily put the lives of yourself or others into danger.

Imagine if they had jumped in, pulled him out and he died anyone.....contributory manslaughter through negligence anyone?

they did nothing wrong, i blame the parents.

why does anyone need blaming?

why can't it just be an unfortunate accident?

i don't like this "blame it on someone else" society we live in.

well children (and some adults for that matter) should not be allowed near deep water on their own.....the fishing lakes over at harefield mate, they claim 2-3 adults a year.......water is dangerous...

I blame you for the moonlit sky

And the dream that died with the Eagle's flight

I blame you for the moonlit nights

When I wonder why

Are the seas still dry?

Don't blame this sleeping satellite

dude you sure your not gay?