The VW Up!

dxg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is awesome,i ve been following the progress for a while now and it looks like it ll be front drive instead of rear which is a shame as i was quite intrigued by a 'proper' succesor to the original beetle

was all over it like a rash at goodwood (apparently it wont be at the motorshow!!) got some really good pics of it especially the interior ,if it looks anything like the concept my names on the list!!

also if vw do what they did with the IROC concept then this is the successor to the lupo!!

IROC becomes sc-IROC-co UP becomes l-UP-o

dan

was all over it like a rash at goodwood (apparently it wont be at the motorshow!!) got some really good pics of it especially the interior ,if it looks anything like the concept my names on the list!!

I would *love* to see your real-world pics if you've got them online anywhere...

Its going to be the typical concept looks good untill it comes out then we will all be disappointed

the rear engine would have made it far more appealing in my eyes!

I think i like the toyota IQ better http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-iq.html some how i think

it will have more of the cute charm that i like in small cars

• 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere that apparently the engine is no longer going to be mounted in the back, summit to do with design/production costs.

Love the front end, hate the back/side.

• 2 months later...

some interesting tid-bits on the engine... Still not clear if it's rear or front engined, though!!!

Take a look at the smallest, most beautifully formed Audi ever. Auto Express has learned that the German firm is planning a new city car – and it will be based on VW’s ultra-economical micro-machine, the up!

The new baby blends fuel economy and style never seen before from Audi. It will share nearly all its underpinnings with the VW, while maintaining the badge appeal and executive air that buyers have come to expect from the four-ringed brand.

Bosses had previously hinted at the possibility of a small car, and speculation suggested it would be based on the same platform as the A1 concept, first revealed at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

But now it has come to light that the platform will be shared with the up! – which will also spawn a raft of other models from fellow VW Group brands Skoda and SEAT.

Audi’s new car will rival top-end versions of the Ford Ka and Fiat 500. As you can see from our pictures, the model adds a distinctive body to the chassis of the up!, with a gaping grille, neat headlamps, beefy wheelarches and a sculpted rear end. But the most innovative move – and potentially the model’s biggest selling point – is the choice of ultra-economical powerplants. Engineers at the VW Group are working on a pair of 600cc two-cylinder turbocharged units – one diesel and one petrol.

Fuel economy is predicted around 95mpg, with super-clean CO2 emissions of less than 100g/km – meaning the Audi won’t cost a penny in road tax under current rules. The company is also toying with the idea of introducing a 1.2-litre

three-cylinder engine.

Yet near-100mpg fuel returns are clearly not enough – as an electric powertrain is also under development. Details are sketchy at the moment, but ultra-low running costs and emissions are guaranteed.

In addition, Audi has hinted that an eco-minded replacement for the A2 could be on the way. Rupert Stadler, chairman of the manufacturer’s board of management, told us: “We have intentionally left a gap between the A3 and forthcoming A1. Although it’s too premature to talk about the car that will fill it – as it needs time – the A2 had a certain type of DNA with its aluminium body, and this should be respected. But electric drive is a must.”

This newcomer could be based on the larger, MPV-style space up! displayed at 2007’s Los Angeles Motor Show.

However, the up! project is not without its problems. Originally, VW had planned for a rear-engined, rear-wheel-drive layout, devised to provide more interior space. But top brass have since revealed that this threw up issues in testing, with the car proving unstable in cross winds and suffering difficulties with engine cooling.

So, a more modern and straightforward front-engined, front-wheel-drive layout is likely to be adopted. The up! is due on sale in 2010, with its Audi sister model following in 2012.

The 60bhp 1.2 will be more than enough.

The 50bhp 1.0 was fine in the Lupo, I would imagen the up! is just as light/lighter than the Lupo.

Dont forget the Polo is oer 1100kg so it will feel sluggish.

The Polo mk6 1.2 12v was 65bhp and gross weight is 1042kg.

The Polo mk7 1.2 12v was 70bhp, not too sure on gross weight although I'd imagine it to be the same.

Edited by Niche

I want one, going to start saving up now. Lol.

From the reviews it looks like it doesn't weigh much so the 1.2 engine should be fine. Lets just hope there aren't any issue with that poxy timing chain and that new gearbox is something to be wary about.

EDIT:

IROC - Scirocco

Up! - Lupo

Looks like the Fox is getting replaced by the Lupo.

Edited by Niche

id take one of those i reckon. bit high but some small wheels and collies and it would b game on me thinks....

It wouldn't even need lowering, smaller wheels and it'll be on the floor. haha.

Edited by Niche

The twin pot power plants seem reasonable enough. I see Ford are going down the 1 litre route for the next gen engines for the Fiesta & B-Max in various states of tune, the Supercharged ROCAM 1 litre does OK in S.America. Fiat have promised a 2 cylinder for the Panda and 500 for a while. I think in the real world, this approach is going to become the norm until batteries become viable for longer journeys.

The comments made about the A2 are good. It was ahead of the game in many respects when it was launched. If the Up!/Ros/A? followed on from that, then it should all be good.

I used to have a smart roadster. The best thing about it was its engine. A little three cylinder, 6 spark plug, 600cc turbo'd thing. It had this fantastic sound when really pushed because the engine was off balance - the 3 cylinder petrols in the current polo sound something similar when worked hard...

That engine gave 80hp (chipable to 100 - the 100hp version was chipable to about 120hp). It 's just a shame it was mated with such a dire semi-auto gearbox. Let's hope vw don't make the same mistake.

It was great in the city centre timing the revs and gear changes just right so the wastegate flutter would really make people look... :)

Edited by dxg

I used to have a smart roadster. The best thing about it was its engine. A little three cylinder, 6 spark plug, 600cc turbo'd thing. It had this fantastic sound when really pushed because the engine was off balance - the 3 cylinder petrols in the current polo sound something similar when worked hard...

That engine gave 80hp (chipable to 100 - the 100hp version was chipable to about 120hp). It 's just a shame it was mated with such a dire semi-auto gearbox. Let's hope vw don't make the same mistake.

It was great in the city centre timing the revs and gear changes just right so the wastegate flutter would really make people look... :)

How on earth does a 3 cylinder engine have 6 spark plugs?

Do you mean 6 valves (SOHC)? Or is it a 12v (DOHC)?

I would imagine it to be a 6v as its only a 0.6 litre engine.

Edited by Niche

How on earth does a 3 cylinder engine have 6 spark plugs?

Do you mean 6 valves (SOHC)? Or is it a 12v (DOHC)?

I would imagine it to be a 6v as its only a 0.6 litre engine.

Nope, two sparks in each cylinder - arranged vertically and timed so one starts to ignite the fuel and the other sparks later to finish it off. Alfa had the idea first with it's "twinspark" system.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?page=...&men=engine

Edited by dxg

lol, so gay.

its a 3 cylinder.

I think these companies are starting to donate cylinders to Australia.

Nah, Oz is at the forefront of air powered cars along with that French bloke in Nice. They must be anticipating the Apocolypse.

"It's light, your tight, stop being a poof!"

Careful now.

• 4 months later...

A bit more information on the new Lupo, from here:

64472853_02ec12cfb8.jpg

Good points:

- being considered for entry in North America (the new Polo is already confirmed). Think what this would do for the aftermarket space...

- production in Europe (yay! - so long as it's not the Spanish plant as it's record with the Fox and the old Polo was a disaster...)

- also production in Mexico to serve the US.

- and rumours of production in China, also

- - in short, sounds like VW are really serious about this thing.

Bad points:

- entry price has risen to 8.5k euros which, now that Gordon's truely fecked the economy, will shortly be £8.5k on the exchange rates to me. This is a massive step back for me.