The VW Up!

dxg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Europe, power will come from a relative of the 1.2-litre, three-cylinder engine currently found in Polos and small Skodas.

Oh dear. I've driven a polo with that engine in. It sucked, big style. Lots of noise, not much else. The 1 litre in the 107 et al is far more responsive and fun. The polo was like a suet pudding in comparison

The first thing I thought when they had named it up was l-up-o and sc-iroc-co. I love it, is it rwd drive? that would make sense with the engine in the back.

Maybe the 1.2 they power it with will be similar to the 1.2 turbo in the Renault twingo. We'll have to wait and see, very interested though!

This video is well worth five minutes of your time.

http://www.webridestv.com/movie_v3.aspx?movieid=300

It shows you just how small this thing really is. Plus, you have to see the dash in action (and the satnav) - I doubt they'd make it into production, but still very impressive.

Deek.

• 2 weeks later...

The 60bhp 1.2 will be more than enough.

The 50bhp 1.0 was fine in the Lupo, I would imagen the up! is just as light/lighter than the Lupo.

Dont forget the Polo is oer 1100kg so it will feel sluggish.

I think it looks better in the vids than any of the pics.

Speedo/Trip functions and Satnav look quality pieces of kit, and should be light and handle well.

Has there been any other colours mentioned than white? Not that white wont be the best colour, but its very Apple.

Might start saving.... :blush:

I like the look the ass end is a bit strange. The 1.2 in the lighter Fox is quicker than the Polo. The Up is supposed to be lighter than the fox. no need to break the bank if it is going to cost £4000 ripe for modifying unless it comes as standard with those wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it on the TV.

Going to cost £6k for the posh one, £5k for the budget one.

Should be on sale end of 2008 or beginning of 2009

I think Im going to buy one.

If the 1.2 Polo engine fits, Im sure the 1.6 GTI engine will also!

£5000? I'll believe it when I see it.

They said that about the Renault Twingo. What do we get? From £8500!!!!

In Europe, Britain is the land of plenty money. And suckers.

• 2 months later...

Seat is also part of the Up project to create new affordable models for VW and Skoda.

The spiritual successor to the Arosa – hence its ‘Ros’ name – is at least three years away. But it will be a more convincing entry-level hatch than the Polo-derived Arosa and by then Seat’s new design language should be well practiced.

Ros city car - due early 2011

Autocar, Latest News, 22 Nov 2007

• 2 weeks later...

i think the platform, will be used for lupo/arosa and some kind of retro beetle. vw have said they will use if for various themes, also the mini mpv type thing aswell. they are trying out lots of ideas for it. maybe the beetle looking version will be the fiat 500 competitor.

• 5 months later...

Well, it seems that the Up! is in trouble :(

The most interesting Volkswagen idea of recent times was the tiny Up! mini-car, basic and cute and shown as a concept with a Smart-like rear engine. It was planned for launch in 2010 but has hit a few snags along the way, one of which is that rear engine.

'It was not fully thought through as a concept,' says Bischoff, 'and it may yet be front-wheel drive because of cost and aerodynamics.' It turns out that being tall and rear-engined, the Up! is unstable in crosswinds in a way which might have been acceptable to buyers of an original Beetle but isn't acceptable now. There was also a problem with getting enough cooling air to the engine.

'We'd have had to make dramatic design changes to make it work, so it's better to use front-wheel drive and get back to the original look. It will have an interior that will be unusual – we're deeply into metal-sheet doors.

'By the time the Up! comes, a lot of product will have been renewed and there will be a feeling of functionality. The Up! will fit well.'

Source: http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/225360/v...king_ahead.html << On the plus side, there are some interesting comments on the New Polo in that article.

car_photo_272385_7.jpg