Das Auto.

jon_273

Didn't see that you'd fitted an amp. Has it improved the stereo a lot then? How much did it cost? Been fancying doing something like this but didn't want to have to putthe amp in the boot. Although thinking about it, it still might not fit under my mk4 seats...

Love the wheels too. B)

how much did you lower it by mate??? is that 40mm all round?

Its on 30mm Eibachs, but the front measures 40mm.

Didn't see that you'd fitted an amp. Has it improved the stereo a lot then? How much did it cost? Been fancying doing something like this but didn't want to have to putthe amp in the boot. Although thinking about it, it still might not fit under my mk4 seats...

Love the wheels too. B)

Yeah, it did improve the stereo a lot before it broke! Remember on the drive out the fuse blew? Well with the fuel pipe fiasco etc. I just wired the standard HU back in so I had a radio while that was being sorted. Anyway, I redid the wiring with a 10 gauge kit, finished all the wiring, and when I went to put the fuse in it blew straight away! Got the multimeter out and all the wiring is fine, but there is a dead short across the amplifier power terminals (which I'm sure isn't normal). I had a quick look inside the casing and there are no burnt components, no burning smell or anything, so I hope its an easy fix :blink:

Aside from that, it made a big difference to the stereo IMO, much clearer, and loses all the 'boominess' the standard system has. It was a £50 bargain from ebay too :wacko: When its all sorted you can have a listen at the next meet.

I didn't know about the amp either. Good work :) I know the seat misses the amplifier when it slides, but does it miss that blue desk lamp in the photos? ;)

This is turning into a nicely modified car! :)

Haha, not quite! Shouldn't be needing it much more either with these light nights :shades:

New wheels look fantastic!

More pics please :shades:

here you go:

P1010481.jpg

P1010482.jpg

P1010486.jpg

P1010497.jpg

P1010492.jpg

P1010491.jpg

P1010483.jpg

Nice pics :shades:

Took a while for us to find the place and avoid the farm traffic to get them though :lol:

Looks great as always Jon B) But where are the interior pics? :P

Edited by cardaft

Thanks for the comments :)

How often do you two meet up for pictures? :whistle:

Usually after we've done any minor modifications to the car! Just as well it's not camera shy :lol:

have been looking for a decent small amplifier to fit under a seat. Found this Genesis SM60 and it fits the bill perfectly!

P1010436.jpg

Just a quick word of warning Jon, If you ever get any door/door seal leaks, the first place that will get wet is the carpet under the seat. Keep an eye on dryness just to be on the safe side.

Other than that, The car is coming along superbly :)

Just a quick word of warning Jon, If you ever get any door/door seal leaks, the first place that will get wet is the carpet under the seat. Keep an eye on dryness just to be on the safe side.

Funny you should say that! :blink:

Cheers people :)

Yes it is funny you should say that, as I'm rocking without an interior carpet until I find out why the insulation is soaking wet! The carpet is fine, but the underlay that sits on the metal floor (stuck under the grey felt stuff) was dripping wet. I noticed it when wiring the amplifier.

Ideas anyone? I was thinking it might be condensation from the A/C :wacko:

Cheers people :)

Yes it is funny you should say that, as I'm rocking without an interior carpet until I find out why the insulation is soaking wet! The carpet is fine, but the underlay that sits on the metal floor (stuck under the grey felt stuff) was dripping wet. I noticed it when wiring the amplifier.

Ideas anyone? I was thinking it might be condensation from the A/C :wacko:

Mine leaked in through the front speakers :(

Edited by nfbr

• 3 months later...

Cruise control fitted :D

P1010751.jpg

I have also added touch of sound deadening for the front doors. Dynamat was used for the outer door skin, and some foam pipe insulation was used to cover the doorcards where there are holes on the inner skin of the door. I'm not sure whether this actually does much for sound deadening (I was told it does), but it's lightweight, was free, and helps stop rattles, so it can only be a good thing.

P1010778.jpg

P1010782.jpg

P1010520.jpg

P1010516.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've had the TDi remapped! I eventually decided to take it to Stealth Racing since they have lots of experience with the 1.4 TDi. It was a long journey but worth it!

Remap2.jpg

Stealthpower_800x567shkl.jpg

Stealthtorque_800x569shkl.jpg

Power:

VW Figure - 73bhp

Before - 81.2 bhp

After - 108.9 bhp

Torque:

VW figure - 144 lb-ft

Before - 162.9 lb-ft

After - 179.1 lb-ft

The map seems very smooth and the car pulls harder and longer than before, plus it is more free-revving too :D. Economy doesn't seem to have suffered either.

The guy who mapped it said he thought it should hold the power for longer. You can see in the graph that it starts to drop off after 3300rpm, he said he thought the air intake may be restrictive so I'm going to look at relocating it behind the front grill. Plus a new air filter would probably help!

I got a shock when i was struggling to keep up with you on the way back from the NEVW Show, kept saying to Sarah that i was sure it'd been remapped!! :lol: Really impressed me though, nice little car and coming on well. B)

TBH I was surprised to see your car getting smaller in my mirror - I was convinced you weren't trying! Surprising how effective the remap is really :D

I think there is a limit to how fast one can drive on country roads, no matter how hard Matt tries to prove otherwise ;)

And the photo for evidence (shamelessly stolen from Jon). Thanks again guys :blush:

jon_lupo_hawes.jpg

Edited by jon_273

• 4 months later...