Getting Silicone off paintwork

Similar to MartyP's post but when I took the rear drivers side strip off, I realised it was stuck on with what seems like Silicone and I can't for the life of me get the damn stuff off. angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Want to get it off ready for the VW Festival, anyone know a way of getting it off without damaging the paintwork?? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Many thanks

Rob

(will try and get a pic posted)

cant u be very careful n use a stanly knife blade if its not in a noticable place?

Very bad and wrong suggestion, as the first post mentions it is under where the side strips were, i.e. slap bang in the middle of the outer door skin...

Stanley blades are for self harmers, not for someone cleaning up their paintwork.

Edited by nfbr

Very bad and wrong suggestion, as the first post mentions it is under where the side strips were, i.e. slap bang in the middle of the outer door skin...

Stanley blades are for self harmers, not for someone cleaning up their paintwork.

ill make that sound a bit nicer , stanley blades + paintwork = not a good combination

Warm it with a heatgun/hair dryer.

Plenty of elbow grease, some bug and tar remover.

Think I'll try this method. Thought of using a hot power washer, but don't know what effect that might have on the paintwork after what one did to my old red Scirocco. ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Thanks for all your suggestions

Hope to meet some of you on Sunday.

Edited by mintylupo

Petrol will disolve adhesive too, but again wash with water straight after so not to damage the paintwork. Put a small splash on a cloth and rub on and the glue will roll into clumps that you can pick off. May need repeated a few times, or when the majority is off use a bug and tar remover.

Petrol will disolve adhesive too, but again wash with water straight after so not to damage the paintwork. Put a small splash on a cloth and rub on and the glue will roll into clumps that you can pick off. May need repeated a few times, or when the majority is off use a bug and tar remover.

Got told about using petrol off a friend tonight funnily enough.

Tried the hair drier, did ****** all sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Need to get it off quick, due to clay bar it on Thurs, to get polished on Fri or Sat. Not sure why I'm going to so much trouble, cos it's bound to look crap next to all the other Lupo's. It's going in to get lowered on Thurs morning, but desperately need some new rims, the original ones have been heavily kerbed.

sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Bought some Auto Glym Tar Remover and that did the trick! :D

Also today, got the car lowered 60mm/40mm F/R on lowering springs, looks so much better. And I started clay barring the car, what awesome stuff!!

The bonnet after clay bar, but not polished yet.

bonnetafterclaybar.jpg

freshlywashed.jpg