Knocking..

I have always had this but recently its been getting a bit worse. Now its not just when reversing or turning in any direction. It seem to be when the wheel is turned through a certain point.

Anyone else got this??

I have checked all the balljoints etc and i think its something to do with the column.. I read in another thread that in japan there was a common fault with a bearing or something on car pre 2002. i have looked at Etka and there seem to be a bearing on the column just up from the Universal Joint.

heres the link

Does anyone know about this?

I have this or something similar with my arosa TDi, although ive not really looked into it, and its not been doing it as much lately.

but sometimes if i turn the wheel slightly each way from centre when parked it does it. And other times when im on rough country lanes and there is a pothole on a bend it does it then too.

Would like to know what it is if you dofind out.

Mine is an 02 reg so it could well be that bearning that you mentioned then.

see when my wheel bearing went it just sqweeked and that was it and they showed me the wheel bearing as they took it out and there was no bearings left laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I think its a bearing in the steering column rather than a wheel bearing, they usually make a droning noise.

@mattie - how much did it cost you to put it right and where abouts is the bearing?

still waiting on the bill!! it was the passenger side wheel bearing - I had a knocking from the wheel and could feel it in the steering wheel, plus the steering wheel was shaking. Happened very suddenly over about an hour.

Yea, wheel bearings usually drone. The bearing in the coloumn is at the bottom near the pedals. I dont want to take it all apart and its not that.

Oh right, hmm i thought that too. Although sounds like a huge job to have done and it not be that.

Mine doesnt seem too bad, it seems to have gooten better, or ive got used to it huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />