The definitive Pedal Box Thread

Bit of help, today the pedal box went in my friends sport, it's a 54plate with 45k however the dealers won't fix it on goodwill because he's not the original owner? Are they talking rubbish? It's had 3previous owners. Were going to weld

It so he can still do big fat tour but it needs replacing, preferably for free!

Any help is appretiated!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Was drivin tonight and my clutch cable went straight to the floor. As the previous owner told me they had repaired the pedalbox themselves, could my problem just be a snapped clutch cable? i had this problem in my old fiat and it felt exactly the same when it went. My car had been crunchin in 2 reverse sumtimes and wasnt always the easiest to put in 2 first which is makin me think its more than likely the pedalbox? Ne help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers guys

All i know is that the pedal box has been bolted by the previous owner, and i was told i shouldnt have the common pedal box problem because of this. However under closer inspection it looks like it might actually just be the cable guna get a local garage to take a look for me on thursday and then i'll know for sure. Fingers crossed its only a snapped cable as VW quoted me £380 to fit a new pedal box :(

Woo just got my car back from the garage turned out it was just the clutch cable, which was a nice quik fix :D

Edited by S21MDN

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend has an X red 2001 Lupo 1.0, the clutch is squeeky and abit clunky, I thought it was just the clutch cable until I saw this.

Is there any way I can see if it is the pedal box? Clutch is same level as other pedals so that bits fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i havernt read the whole thread, but ive looked into this recently, after welding up the G/f's pedal box twice!!

** This is subject to the vehicle being under 8 years old or 999,999 miles, whichever comes first **

spocke to my local dutton forshaw, and the as soon as you metion Goodwill, they ask "has the car got a full service history" to which i said i didnt know, knowing full well it hasnt, so i gave them the no. plate, and they tell me its hasnt, and there wouldnt be any good will...

i then asked to speak to the service manager, who basically said the same, my reply was what difference does it make who changes the oil.... thats not gonna fix a badly designed pedal box.... he then started spouting loads ****e about part numbers relating to that car, my reply... what part no's are applicable to the goodwill policy?

his reply "thats clasifed infomation" blar blar bollox ****e...

so i asked for the number for VW uk, turns out there over in leeds, and they also wouldnt touch the vehical, unless it has a full service history and is less that 60 months old (5yrs)

they both knew about the issue, but wernt willign to do any of the work for free, the dearlership let me know for them to fit the new (correctly desinged) pedal box its £345 incl VAT!

so they know theres an issues, and they have made a part to fix it... but dont wanna fit it for free... criminal.

so we're boloxed, hopeflly the ****e metal will hold up now that ive welded it again....

Edited by alex1916v

Just to update. I did finally get VW UK to pay up for full pedalbox replacement. My local London-based dealership were useless. I did have full service history, but they told me my chassis number wasn't in the range to receive goodwill (alth the year of the car, '02, was - some '01 cars apparently are also eligible). I chased this with VW UK asking why certain chassis numbers could get goodwill and others not (i.e. what criteria they were using to discriminate which cars should get goodwill) and, after they took a while to look into it, they said they couldn't find the information and so agreed to reimburse the costs of the replacement (by this time I had had the car towed to a local garage and paid half the dealership price to have the pedalbox repaired). It took a lot of phone calls, but worth it in the end.

My Pedal box failed August 08.

My contact at a VW dealer garage who does the servicing for me had warned the box was on its way out and that it was covered by VW goodwill.

When it failed I got it towed to a different VW dealer who said there was no goodwill to cover as I hadnt got full VW service history.

My contact assured me it was covered, and after trying the useless VW customer service phone bods and getting nowhere I had the Loop towed to my contacts VW place.

Fixed it and has been brill since, saving me GBP375 to boot.

The car was just celebrating its eighth birthday and had done 45000 miles.

VW are being very sly over this issue. It really tarnished my perception (and perception is reality, right>?) of the brand... If I was in the position of buying a new car would it be VW... I dont know.

best,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My clutch cable has gone, and my mechanic told me this is a common fault, and he thinks its been caused by the pedal box!

Glad i've looked on here now and saw this thread, it's been a great help and it makes so much more sense now!

• 4 weeks later...

heyy,

my loop is 10 yrs young now and touching 74000miles my clutch cable has just snapped, however i havent noticed any of the symptoms mentioned for the pedal box to be going, the clutch was operating fine before this happened,i work as delivery driver and this has been such a pain happening on new years eve, all the parts places are closed for the weekend holidays :@

it just seems to be one thing after another with this car:(

• 3 weeks later...

hi there,

i have a lupo 1.4 sport 2001 its done 44 000 miles and i cant get used to the clutch, i have got 2 polos and this loop seems weird on the clutch. i the clutch seems to bite everu time i let the clutch out when i change gear i can get it right wen driving sensibley if u kno wat i mean lol. erm the car is mint inside and out im just worried that it could be the pedal box, the clutch seems quite heavy???? i checked the pedals as on this forum someone said about if the clutch pedal is lower then the brake pedal which would mean the pedal box is not very well. mine the clutch pedal is higher then the brake pedal some im guessing it could be alrite. the only thing i have yet to do is go to my local vw dealer and see whether they have any info on the car on thier system. like check there system to see whether it has had the pedal box done at another deal, im not sure if it is possible. i dont kno if anyone knows anything more that they could tell me or suggest, thanks for reading my loong essay!

cheers justin :)

• 2 months later...

hello every one

i have all the problems from the first part of this thing with the clutch being lower then the brake peddle and it not goin into gear at all but ajusting the nuts on the cable seem to help for a bit. But its a 2001 soo would it still be good for the done for free will ? and if it is how long do they take to do it ?

thanx jiz :)

hi

we've had all the symptoms on the Arosa.

it's 6 years old with 30,000miles so by my reckoning eligible for goodwill?

Called up our nearest SEAT garage and they wanted the chassis no. before they would say anything. They then said that there has never been any problems or recalls on Arosa's.

so we took it to a VW dealer and they said yes, the pedal box had gone but it was brought on by a heavy clutch and as it was a SEAT they would not offer goodwill but would happily charge £800 for a new box and clutch. They also denied that they've had problems with any Lupo's.

Then we tried calling up a different SEAT dealer but they said goodwill was only available if you had bought something from them previously.

tried the local garage that does me dad's work vans and they said it would still be about £600/700

Has anyone managed to get an Arosa done at a VW garage on goodwill?

is it worth calling literally every SEAT dealer in the midlands?

has anyone else managed to get anywhere in this area?

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine went but before it went it was creaking/clicking is this another sign its on its way?

even now ive had it done my car still crunches into reverse every now and again with the clutch flat and the car at a complete stop

just done this job on the mrs Lupo, not for the faint harted!! ive never had such a new car in bits, its easy in someways, but just plain awkward in other's, it took me longer to get it all off/out than it did to put back, infact it proberbly took me just as long to put the plastic cowling back int he correct order as it did to re-attach the pedal box!!!

one of the studs connecting the master cylinder/servo thu the fire wall decided to spin and be a paint in the ass!!

all the electrics were simple, they only go in one socket, one way etc... i also messed up on the steering colum, i mounted the joint before the cv joints, 180* out, so when i sarted to bolt it back up the steering wheel was upside down!! anyway luckily i sorted that well before finishing it off!!

it took me a long afternoon to remove it all and about 3hrs to put it all back this evening mainly because i only got the new pedal box first, not knowing about the plastic ball joint clip inside the brake pedal which you can only break when removing!! so i had to get that before i could start the fit up.

theres another 'how to thread' on here, which mentions shear bolts, im guessing they mean the top 2 bolts holding the top of the pedal box above the steering coloum, these are torx head bolts, which do look like shear bolts, but mine wernt sheared so i just undid em, and just re-did em up at the end!!

id defiantly say you need afew 1/4 extensions to do this job easier, to get all the nuts on the captive studs behind the pedal box etc, then the same in 3/8's drive, with wobble heads to nip it all up!!

also the M8 pressed nutwashers they use woudl be unsafe to re-use, i cant see one undoing, but in that area i woudlt wanna take any chances so i used brand new M8 nylock nuts id advise you to do the same, you'll need 5, and 5 small washers.

anyway, the parts you'll need from a VW dealers if you wanna attempt this job yourself are...

X V6X2 721 115 G new metal pedal box. £36.62 incl vat.

X V1H2 721 169 plastic balljoint clip inside the brake pedal £5.01 incl vat.

the car is fine now, no clunking into 1st, or grinding into reverse, the clutch release bearing is still on the nosiy side, only just fiant at idle, but i cant see that going before the clutch, so it'll only get nosier!!!

thought id past this info on, as theres allot of VW dealer bitchin on here(from me included), but i could'nt find any part no's or defianitive parts lists to order etc... so i hope ive helped afew people out!!!

cheers

alex

• Like 1

this thread has appeared to of helped my problem but just need a little heads up

basically i went into third then my clutch just stayed in and managed to get home down hill lol

and now i start car clutch is fully in put it in gear jolts forward and stalls am i looking a pedal box or maybe just a simple clutch adjustment

also my car is 2002 lupo git so will vw definetly do it for free will ring them monday but need it sorted asap so just thinking whether to put it in local garage or should i wait for vw as it might be free .

would appreciate all comments i know its probly been asked 20 times but i havent got time atm to read threw the 8 pages please help

thanks alex :D

• 4 weeks later...

my pedal box has just gone!! can barley change gear :( what sort of price shuld i be looking at for it to be repaired from a small garage, seat have qouted me about £230 to have it fixed!! thats all in wid a new clutch cable, what price do u think it wuld come in at from a small garage, what have people paid? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lupo S, V reg 99 1.4. Crunching into reverse,hard to engage first. Took off the cover underneath found the pedal box got a 1cm crack.

Been to Benfield Volkswagen, Newcastle upon Tyne (Scotswood Road) today, got told goodwill only happen to cars less than 5 years old. They said few lupo owners been there before, none of them get it done FOC...

Just phoned VW Customer Care on 0800 0833 920.

Answer are the same... :thumbdown:

PS: Benfield Volkswagen just called me: price the job for 466.xx pound. They said gonna be a six hours job. They say the part will cost 40 quid. So... the that works out (466-40)/6 = 71 quid per hour!!! :furious:

i just spoke to a local franchised vw garage in Twickenham about the pedal box in some respects i felt cheeky asking if this would still be covered on a v reg 1999. I guessed the answer before he confirmed it, NO. The information the chap had was a 5yr warranty on that part. I then mentioned the little bubbling i spotted on the lid near the gutter. He replied its only a 10 year over my manager has a v reg lupo too. However we are welcome to pop past and let there spray shop manager have a look at it still and he can give us a verdict.

I then called the vw customer help line, the 0800 number, by the way a big thanx for posting that number. I was told there is no actual recall for the pedal box and because all vw garages are independent good will gestures seemed to vary on loyalty to your local dealership !!! So the age old saying, its not what you know, its who you know !!! I told him about the 8 years or mileage policy and he was unsure of the mileage limit and then dismissed it. He then confirmed 8yrs was the limit for the age of the car. I'm not surprised about the NO given to me on this issue on a near 11yr old motor.

Regarding the roof, it is a 12 yr warranty as long as the car has not been in an accident or had any other body work repair but yet again it is down to the the independent dealership that you take it to upon inspection.

We have had a mobile mechanic look at the gear issue and he has told us a new clutch has recently been put in and someone has knocked/moved ( i cant recall exactly the part he mentioned). then done some minor fiddling, told us i might still need a bit of adjusting but its better. He was right it was better but only for a few days, he is coming back this week to change the cam belt so we will tell him it needs adjusting again. Should i trust the mechanics verdict of just minor adjustments or mention the peddle box issue to him ?

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys... just so you know im going though the same thing with the pedal box..

pricings wise...

Pedal box with no accessorys, just the box itsself is £38.96*

Plastic clip behind the break pedal to the Brake servo linkage... £25*

if you can... DONT BREAK IT!

Sheer bolts X2... £3.57*

I was looking for pictures on what too look fore before risking it for a biscuit and i couldnt find any.. so i took some myself. there on my Facebook page if you want to see the progress so far.. www . facebook . com / Tdunning

and look for my "Damn car..." picture album... still half way though repairs at the moment as VW arnt in gear to get my parts...

if anyone needs a hand with the job.. contact me though here or my facebook :)

Oh... and if you want it to be doing FOC... your car has to be under 5 years old*, under 999,999 miles*...

(* - All representative of Lookers, Lincoln on outer circle road.)

anyway, the parts you'll need from a VW dealers if you wanna attempt this job yourself are...

X V6X2 721 115 G new metal pedal box. £36.62 incl vat.

X V1H2 721 169 plastic balljoint clip inside the brake pedal £5.01 incl vat.

HEy alex... Thanks for informing me on that £5 ball joint clip.. they quoted me £25... lets jsut say negotiations are taking place and i WILL be getting it cheaper.. :)