Power loss Lupo 3L TDI

Hello!

Car: Lupo 3L TDI, year 2000,

Description: Last night my lupo started to lose power when driving at about 80 km/h. It feels like the turbo is not setting in. Is the turbo charger "broken"?

There´s no problem driving the car but I can´t get over 110 km/h and the acceleration is very slow.

I haven´t changed the fuel filter for maybe 3 years or so. Can this be a factor?

I changed the layers of the two front wheels one month ago. Can the ABS-sensor be a problem?

I will be ever so grateful for any help!

The filter should be changed every two years and the water drained from the filter every 6 months or so........but also sounds like a boost leak

How do I fix a boost leak..? :-) What´s the first thing to look for?

If you have any idea please reply! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A popped off hose or even a cracked one...........check from the intercooler to the engine and the airbox to the intercooler.

Worth checking small vacum pipes too.

I had power loose on my chipped Golf GT TDI 150 and it ended up being the intercooler hose popping off due to the high pressure the engine was creating........ran fine, but until you decide to floor it there is no power. Once put back on power returned.

Change your fuel filter on the the TDI too, as it plays a big part with the TDI performance.......draining the water it collects every six months is worth it too. There is a small plug at the bas of the filter that once undone drains the filter of the filtered water, so make sure you have a mug ready.

Edited by mike_m

A popped off hose or even a cracked one...........check from the intercooler to the engine and the airbox to the intercooler.

I had power loose on my chipped Golf GT TDI 150 and it ended up being the intercooler hose popping off due to the high pressure the engine was creating........ran fine, but until you decide to floor it there is no power. Once put back on power returned.

Change your fuel filter on the the TDI too, as it plays a big part with the TDI performance.......draining the water it collects every six months is worth it too. There is a small plug at the bas of the filter that once undone drains the filter of the filtered water, so make sure you have a mug ready.

Thanks! I will check it out tonight! I´ve bought a new fuel filter today so I will change that too...

Hello again! I changed the fuel filter last night and now the car is working again! I hope it´ll last! :-)

Thanks again for your help!

No probs.

I would change the TDI fuel filter every year, but that is me..........but do drain it every six months at least

Today the power loss began again..sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> very strange...I´ve driven it about 20-30 miles, about 4-5 times, without any power loss after the fuel filter change. But today it began losing power again. I´ve pulled the car to the curb and switched the engine off and started it again after a few minutes and after that the car ran fine until I got home 30 minutes, a couple of miles, later.

On another home page someone mentioned a vacuum hose in bad shape. Should I look for something like that? Or could it be anything else, an electrical problem or something else?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for the stupid questions...Where can I find the airbox to the intercooler and where can I find the "small vacuum pipes"? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 11 years later...
On 7/17/2007 at 1:17 PM, Mike_M said:

The filter should be changed every two years and the water drained from the filter every 6 months or so........but also sounds like a boost leak

Every 2 years? I've not heard that before.