1.4 brakes - am i unreallistic ??

Hi All,

i have the car booked in at VW tomorrow as im sure that my brakes are not right. I know everyone says that the 1.4 (non sport) have rubbish brakes but surely they should feel like a modern car and have a nice tight peddle feel - as in it goes hard after its pumped with the engine off.

Last time VW said that the brakes where normal but i wasnt convinced that they even looked TBH. Do i just have unrealistic expectations? My old corrado did have 280mm with fast road pads and was a fantastic stopper, am i comparing the lupo to the corrado without thinking???

My Peddle is really spongy and doesn't really go hard when pumped with car off or on and i feel that it should.

Im not saying that the brakes dont stop the car but just lack bite and fade quick.

oh well im going to vw at like 9.30 in the morn but if fairly sure they will just say its normal. style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

sorry for the rant just want opinions. style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

cheers

++++++++++update scroll down+++++++++++++++

Edited by sciroccotune

my 1.4 S brakes are great. They're not spongy and they stop the car spot on.

I don't have a single complaint.

admittedly they're coming off at the weekend, still, hope the new ones are just as good.

Rich

Well mine aren't brilliant but I'm sure the pedal goes hard after its pumped with the engine off.

Has the brake fluid been changed?

Thnaks guys, im mainly concerned with the peddle going hard with the engine off - they should! should if you could check that would be spot on.

VW claim that the fluid was changed when the new discs and pads were put on just before i took delivery (that was over 1000 miles ago so they should be bedded in now)

As you say Rich for such a small car i see no reason why it shouldnt stop well with 239 vented discs - i have driven mk2 golfs with they same set up and they stopped well.

Well i had to cancel my trip to VW as i knew i was meant to be doing something and it turned out that the gas man was coming to service the boiler laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

So I feel i will re book with VW Or maybe just bleed the brakes myself.

This is probable the most annoying little thing about the car. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Edited by sciroccotune

Thnaks guys, im mainly concerned with the peddle going hard with the engine off - they should! should if you could check that would be spot on.

VW claim that the fluid was changed when the new discs and pads were put on just before i took delivery (that was over 1000 miles ago so they should be bedded in now)

As you say Rich for such a small car i see no reason why it shouldnt stop well with 239 vented discs - i have driven mk2 golfs with they same set up and they stopped well.

Well i had to cancel my trip to VW as i knew i was meant to be doing something and it turned out that the game man wqs coming to service the boiler laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

So I feel i will re book with VW Or maybe just bleed the brakes myself.

This is probable the most annoying little thing about the car. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I checked my brakes, they do go hard after the pedal had been pressed a couple of times. The pedal can still be pressed though, but it takes a lot more effort!

Yes there is no reason for them not to stop well, but I have driven a 1.4TDi and a 1.4 sport and the brakes on both of those have a lot more bite, and you dont have to press the pedal as much!

I checked my brakes, they do go hard after the pedal had been pressed a couple of times. The pedal can still be pressed though, but it takes a lot more effort!

Yes there is no reason for them not to stop well, but I have driven a 1.4TDi and a 1.4 sport and the brakes on both of those have a lot more bite, and you dont have to press the pedal as much!

thanks Jon,

I dont feel that my peddle gets hard (ooo eer) it gets harder but nothing anywhere near solid. I am able to push it to almost the floor (about 1 inch ish away from the fllor) even after it is pumped with the engine off.

guess ill have to take it to VW when i get a chance and just take it from there - i am loathed to bleed my self as i expect the car to come without problems when you buy from a main dealer wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I've got a Lupo 1.4 16v E and the brakes are shocking!

I'm comparing them to my 25 year old XR3 though, and my mk2 golf gti's and a 20 year old XR2 and... Every car I've owned and driven!

I had the discs and pads changed on the car about 500 miles ago and they have been non stop trouble before and after!

Check that yours hasn't had a recall, it will be in the service history. Mine did and I'm going to chat to VW about soon because the recall was to do with the brakes

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

there is an outstanding recall on a lot of lupos for the 'brake vacuum pipe' get it looked at!

all ready had it done, not under recall however - had to find out myself!!!

The stupid thing is that the system is basically the same as most other vag cars so why they should be so bad on this model i dont know? I sat in a polo of the same year just before i got the loop and brake peddle went hard and so forth and a polo is the same! annoying.

I wouldnt be surprised if the master cylinder in mine has been damaged as there is a little fluid on the inside of the clear cylnder shaped rod cover at the back of the peddle...

Ill keep you all updates as to what VW say when i get time to get it to them.

Edited by sciroccotune

i'm flogging mine soon. ha ha ha ha ha ha

There is definately a fault with the car, it is not a design flaw. We've had our 1.7 SDI for four years now, and I tend to brake hard and I've never lacked confidence with the brakes at any time.

+++++++++++++++++++++UPDATE++++++++++++++++++++++++

After a considerably annoying trip to VW (read as i was well annoyed) the situation has been some way fixed!

Once again the first VW technician i spoke to said that there was no problems with the car and after they wanted to bill me for clearing the engine light and epc light, caused by a software problem??, I FINALLY got to speak to a technician that was good at his job! He instantly said that the rear brakes needed adjusting and that no one had told him i had only had the car for 5 weeks!!!

Anyway i wont name him but he does have a loop and i hope he knows how grateful i am that he tried to fix the car as i have been fobbed off so many times now! Anyway he did it there and than and the car now stops much better I may still bleen the system one more time along with some uprated pads but i think that they are now s good as it gets.

A BIG thanks to the only Technician that tried to help.

the VW garage and VW uk will be getting a letter about the poor customer service i have had from them until now!

Anyway Rant over, glad its sorted now! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

+++++++++++++++++++++UPDATE++++++++++++++++++++++++

After a considerably annoying trip to VW (read as i was well annoyed) the situation has been some way fixed!

Once again the first VW technician i spoke to said that there was no problems with the car and after they wanted to bill me for clearing the engine light and epc light, caused by a software problem??, I FINALLY got to speak to a technician that was good at his job! He instantly said that the rear brakes needed adjusting and that no one had told him i had only had the car for 5 weeks!!!

Anyway i wont name him but he does have a loop and i hope he knows how grateful i am that he tried to fix the car as i have been fobbed off so many times now! Anyway he did it there and than and the car now stops much better I may still bleen the system one more time along with some uprated pads but i think that they are now s good as it gets.

A BIG thanks to the only Technician that tried to help.

the VW garage and VW uk will be getting a letter about the poor customer service i have had from them until now!

A complaint letter to VW, who would have thought it ! Im currently writing my second complaint letter about how my pedal box issue was dealt with at one very unhelpful garage. My sister is writing to complain about the two cars she was sold from VW main dealer which had not been serviced and promptly lasted about 2 days before breaking down and my father is writing one about troubles he has had from the same dealer as my sister.

On the other side of this there are some very good dealerships about, unfortunately the one fantastic one I have found is 60 miles away from me. All the nottingham/derby/loughborough ones have not impressed me in any way.

Adrian