eDead sound proofing, has anybody used it?

Right so basically I am looking to buy some sound proofing for the car because I am sick of the rattles I get at a few frequencies from my front speakers. I had a look on the bay and realised just how expensive Dynamat is, but this eDead stuff is quite a bit cheaper. So I was wondering if it is cheaper because of it being rubbish or if it is just because with Dynamat you are paying for the name?

Anyone had any experience with eDead?

Or does anyone have any other recommendations other than Dynamat/does anyone know where Dynamat is cheap?

NOCK

eDead is not flashing tape, it is butyl-rubber or whatever it is called, which means it wont melt like flashing tape does. It is the same as dynamat extreme and damplifier, however the reason it is so cheap is that it is really thin and you would need two or more layers anyway.

Get second skin if you can afford it but in smaller amounts it is too expensive.

Where are the rattles coming from? There are easier ways to get rid of rattles than sound deadening.

eDead is not flashing tape, it is butyl-rubber or whatever it is called, which means it wont melt like flashing tape does. It is the same as dynamat extreme and damplifier, however the reason it is so cheap is that it is really thin and you would need two or more layers anyway.

Get second skin if you can afford it but in smaller amounts it is too expensive.

Where are the rattles coming from? There are easier ways to get rid of rattles than sound deadening.

The front left speaker mainly, and I also want to soundproof my sub box as I think the bass could be louder than it is at present (please can no one tell me I've got a sh!t amp because I've heard it all before and just want to know about soundproofing).

Ok so general vibe then that eDead is not great, and that Second skin is very good.

Is second skin better than Dynamat or not?

Thanks for the input from both of you.

NOCK

Flashing tape doesnt melt ?

Its bitumen with an aluminium foil layer on top...

It can become soft in the heat and fall off vertical surfaces. I think it is perfectly good, got some in the mini and it does a perfectly good job.

Second skin has a good rep and I think it is thinker than dyanmat extreme but not sure. Dont think there is a massive difference in it.

Rattles can sorted out with foam and gaffa tape. Cheaper than sound deadening, but obviously it doesnt have the deadening effect.

Sub boxes dont need sound proofing, if it is made properly then sound deadening wont make any difference. You can sound deaden the boot to gain a small amount of spl.

Sub boxes dont need sound proofing, if it is made properly then sound deadening wont make any difference. You can sound deaden the boot to gain a small amount of spl.

That's the thing though, I made them! On a very small time scale lol. I think I may benefit from applying some to it. It looks good stuff but the pack is 40sq.ft! I don't need anywhere near that much! I reckon 5 sq.ft would be plentiful!

I'm also looking into getting some new speakers for the front doors as I am not a fan of the standard ones, but I don't wanna mess around with another amp. So much to do lol

NOCK

Trust me, just build a new box. Will be cheaper than sound deadening a box effectively. Sound deadening wont stop mdf flexing.

It doesn't flex as it is 18mm thick, but I want to seal it a bit better and make it even more sturdy. If I'm gonna buy 40 sq.ft. of the stuff then I may as well! lol.

If anyone would like some '2nd skin' soundproofing material then send me a PM and we may be able to sort out a deal as I really will not need that much.

NOCK

It doesn't flex as it is 18mm thick, but I want to seal it a bit better and make it even more sturdy. If I'm gonna buy 40 sq.ft. of the stuff then I may as well! lol.

If anyone would like some '2nd skin' soundproofing material then send me a PM and we may be able to sort out a deal as I really will not need that much.

NOCK

i find that flashing works very well. Im talking about the stuff that is foil coated bitumen. doesn't fall off is the surface is clean or if you stick it to the foam lining of a lupo door! (tried it today)

but i may be interested in a bit if you get loads

i find that flashing works very well. Im talking about the stuff that is foil coated bitumen. doesn't fall off is the surface is clean or if you stick it to the foam lining of a lupo door! (tried it today)

but i may be interested in a bit if you get loads

Okay, how much is a bit? what you thinking? I am thinking of getting it from here

NOCK

NOCK

No it is a waste, if it is not sealed, use silicon sealant or pva and water mix. Sound deadening wont make it more sturdy, use it on your car floor if you have too much and it will cut out road noise.

I might take a little bit (4sq ft ish) if you want to shift some. CAD is the only place you can get second skin in the UK btw.

sciroccotune - you know you have to stick sound deadening dircetly to the metal for it to work?

It can become soft in the heat and fall off vertical surfaces. I think it is perfectly good, got some in the mini and it does a perfectly good job.

It does soften slightly in heat, but it NEVER falls off unless you couldn't be ringed to prepare the surface propperly.

Door skins especially require propperly de-greasing and all the protection wax stripping before application of sound deadening.

I used flashing tape in the rear quarters of my lupo, and it WOULD NOT COME OFF on a hot summers day when i was trying to get my hand in to assess the damage to the sill...

NOCK

just buy a door kit you baffoon... 12sq ft for £49 in the "pro" stuff smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by nfbr

just buy a door kit you baffoon... 12sq ft for £49 in the "pro" stuff

Ahhhhhh I concur! Thank you kind sir I shall be purchasing some of this as soon as I get paid smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

NOCK

anyone thought of using carpet tiles ? could be good in the boot, they are pretty thick & £2 a go. dont know if they would be any good.

i fancy sound proofing my car (with proper stuff), does anyone know how easy it is to remove the carpet?

eDead is not flashing tape, it is butyl-rubber or whatever it is called, which means it wont melt like flashing tape does.
"eDead is a butyl based mat."

No it isn't. Please stop saying that.

"I heard that eDead and FatMat were really Peel & Seal."

I've heard that too. I have seen samples of Peel & Seal that are indistinguishable from the products you mentioned.

LOL... I'm guessing i'm right then ?

Edited by nfbr