Reasons for power steering to go heavy

NOCK

Right, the power steering on my car has gone heavy, I went to VW bought some power steering fluid, got home, and found it doesn't even need topping up.

I have inflated my tyres to the exact pressure that VW say to.

So what, what can be wrong? Is it likely that the pump has gone/is going and if it is how expensive is it to fix?

Thanks for any help/info in advance,

NOCK

Edited by NOCK

sounds like the belt's snapped or the pump has siezed

If it was either of those though, would I still be able to turn the wheels? Because I can, infact I can drive it, I'm just worried I'm gonna do more damage by doing so as it is not steering well at all without elbow grease.

NOCK

If it was either of those though, would I still be able to turn the wheels? Because I can, infact I can drive it, I'm just worried I'm gonna do more damage by doing so as it is not steering well at all without elbow grease.

NOCK

maybe your rack is on its way out or the pump maybe just starting to let go confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

think i have a pump in the garage somewhere !!!!!

Well it could be the pump or the belt, you would still be able to drive it and turn the wheels. Just like you can when the ignition is on and you roll the car, it just feels like non assisted steering, or heavier.

Well it could be the pump or the belt, you would still be able to drive it and turn the wheels. Just like you can when the ignition is on and you roll the car, it just feels like non assisted steering, or heavier.

if it was the belt the alternater would pack up as well so it would ****** the batt so i dubt its that if the pump was just slowly dieing then it would just get harder to turn till the day it packs up all together then it would be very hard to move the wheel still say its the pump or the rack not the belt .

do you have aircon??

Nah I don't have aircon (only because I wanted to save weight qually! lol). It's funny you mention the battery because the car has cut out on me a couple of times lately after I listened to the stereo at nearly full crank for about an hour whilst cleaning the car. I have been driving around without the stereo off since and must have covered about 100 miles doing so.

The steering feels weird like sometimes it is ok sometimes it is intolerably heavy! Do you think this could be simply battery related? The god thing is only about 9 months old, I have a warranty though so it would be great if it was just the battery to blame.

NOCK

Edited by NOCK

right noddy i was thinking of mk 3 golf , these use a seperate belt just done the cabby and my van uses same get up....... but if your steering is sometimes heavy and your battery sometimes dies or is *****.... i would say it's belt related ....slipping...or the pump is indeed on it's way out and not rotating freeley enough to allow the correct flow

Okay thanks for that, so if it is my belt is it a big job? Will I be able to do it myself with the correct tools (and a new belt) or is it gonna be a job that I'm gonna have to get done professionally and if it is do you (or anyone else) have any idea how much that will cost?

NOCK

Thanks for all the replies:

if its ok sometimes then goes hard could if be something like having air bubbles in the pipes maybe

Wouldn't those air bubbles have always been there though?

Are your tire treads the same? If you have a new tire on one side & an almost dead one on the other side this can sometimes affect steering.

Yep exactly the same, same tread, type, and pressure too. Cheers for replying though

Move the steering wheel up or down wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I tell you what mate if that works I will buy you a drink if I ever see you! It would be so funny if that fixed it, cheers for the advice!

NOCK

Edited by NOCK

Okay my Power Steering has decided today that it is going to be on good behaviour and it has been fine for around 20 miles! A little confused and the only explanation I can think for it is that there is more energy in the battery, would I be right in thinking that a low battery can cause heavy steering?

NOCK

Okay my Power Steering has decided today that it is going to be on good behaviour and it has been fine for around 20 miles! A little confused and the only explanation I can think for it is that there is more energy in the battery, would I be right in thinking that a low battery can cause heavy steering?

NOCK

I wouldnt have thought so confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

I wouldnt have thought so confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Neither would I but I have just been out again, this time with windscreen wipers on and my stereo and the steering was heavy again! I am going to charge the battery tomorrow but it is a right pain to get out of the bay if I remember correctly, how do I disconnect the stuff off the negative terminal!?!?!?

NOCK

Well I've just put the battery on charge so we will see if this solves my problem and we will see if a low battery affects steering also. I can't really see it solving the problem but if it does I will be real chuffed.

NOCK

Power stearing is hydraulic.

Only connection with the battery is that the same drive belt drives the power steering pump and the alternator (which charges the battery).

I'm open to correction here, but I can't see why a fully charged battery would effect hydraulic power steering.

Seems more likely to be the pump, steering rack or drive belt, but if it were the latter I would expect to see the battery light on.

Hmmm...

R

I didn't think that the battery affected steering either but when I have no stereo on it is sometimes ok, when i have the stereo on it is ALWAYS heavy, these are the only reasons why I think my steering is being affected by the battery. We will see, I fully expect the fully charged battery to do nothing for my steering, but there is no harm in trying anyway. I will let you know the results

NOCK

Edited by NOCK

• 3 years later...