Remap Offer

KrazyKev

you could probably ask them what the wheel figures were. for comparing results to other peoples results it better to use wheel figure.

i think i will get mine rolling roaded next week to see where my powerchip gained me. can you post up a pic of the graphs?

Edited by Clouseau

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great result!

Sounds like a definite trip is needed for this on Jens car smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That seems pretty good to me!

Do you have to run around using 97/98 octane fuel with it being chipped, or is it just a case of "optimising" the factory set up? Have thought about having cars chipped in the past, but as I never seemed to get any noticable benefit from using higher octane fuel, it just meant I had less to spend on beer!

Ian

it isnt just about power though. its about driveablity which is what other bolt ons arent going to for you.

edit: You won't always use more fuel because of it. Sometimes the map can be a tad rich standard, giving you flat spots and sapping power.

Edited by IanW

Sorry... But... LMFAO laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

£300 Remap, for 8hp and 10Nm of torque? **** off... Confirms my original statement though (in my opinion) that there is no point remapping a stock motor. You can get more power for less, if you use your head and think about what you're doing. Besides which, mod the motor again, and you'll be back needing another remap. Schweet. May aswell mod the motor to begin with, and then map it complete. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Just out of interest though - how much has your fuel consumption gone up by for those 8hp? After all, horsepower gain = fuel increase huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

You clearly haven't engaged your brain before tapping out your reply rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Fuel consumption has actually improved. Have got another 30 miles out of a full tank so more power clearly doesn't ALWAYS mean higher fuel consumption. IF I were to fit an air filter/exhaust in the future which I doubt then I wouldn't bother to get it remapped again as it would probably only yield another 1-2bhp so that is a pointless exercise if you actually think about it! You can use your head as much as you like but £300 on its own will not be better spent on getting more power, torque and driveability. How much is a decent exhaust fitted? £350. How much are BMC's? £150? and how much power and torque are people making for their £500 spent that way. Not 135bhp I'm sure but even if they are it's cost another £200 and gives an annoying noise that drones away on the motorway and won't be optimised across the range getting rid of flat spots etc. yes If I had a budget of £1000 for engine mods maybe exhaust, air filter then remap could give 140-145bhp ish but I don't have that budget so this is clearly best bang for buck if you are only going to spend £300 which was my point.

Kieron, "Budget" ?

They did it for free tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

We didn't know they were doing it for nothing - Kieron went to pick it up with every intention to pay for the work done - it was just a fab surprise when they said no charge wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

What are these 'magic' mods for £300 that make 8bhp or more and extra torque whilst maximising efficiency throughout the rev range and improve driveability and throttle response? I'd be interested to know as (from using the search facility) nobody on here has managed to tap into this route of modding. The modifications that you talk about seem to require a lot of labour and expertise which combined with parts I'm sure would cost more than £300.

You clearly know your way round and engine and are capable of doing the work yourself, which is going to be very cheap for YOU, but for the average person on here, paying someone to do it is a different kettle of fish.

At the end of the day guys, you pays your money and takes your choice. For the third time my personal view is that if you ONLY have £300 to spend on engine mods this is the best way to spend it as opposed to exhaust, air filter etc. It IS worth doing as the car is definately noticeably better in every aspect of driveability. Just thought I was giving some useful feedback on a service but if all you guys without remapped gtis know better than me whether or not it's worth it - fair do's!! After all we've only driven it before and after so what should we know eh? Oh that last post by the other half (Vixwagen) was actually me under her username (don't want people thinking I get my girl to finish arguments for me)

It's the other way round isn't it ?

You make your choice then pays your money

Typically the kind of person who is likely to remap a n/a car is likely to purchase further mods which require/benefit from a remap.

Mr John Average isn't likely to remap a n/a car for 8bhp of improved "driveability".

Kieron is one of the few exceptions.

Well I was talking about the 'type of person' that only has £300 to spend on engine mods. Please enlighten me how this would be better spent. It seems like there's an echo in here as again I say that I don't dispute spending ££££s on engine mods then getting it remapped would be the prefered ideal. Of course it would but I'm saying £350-£400 for a noisy exhaust reducing torque and giving you maybe 2bhp at the top end or £300 for a remap to your engine improving power and torque across the rev range? No brainer in my book but like I said people do what they want to their car but nobody can convince me that it wasn't worth it until they've driven the car. I don't really get where the hating is coming from on this I really thought the result would get a positive response but hey ho

"you pays your money and takes your choice" is the usual wording of that phrase I believe

I didnt actually think you could chip the gtis until now... still its done now, nice to see the results etc, plus i think if you had expected more than 10bhp gain etc if would have been a let down.. thats all chips are though isnt it at the end of the day . a map?

Fair play anyhows to take advantage of the offer, it was there for everyone , its also something for myself to consider saving up for in the future..

It's the other way round isn't it ?

You make your choice then pays your money

Typically the kind of person who is likely to remap a n/a car is likely to purchase further mods which require/benefit from a remap.

Mr John Average isn't likely to remap a n/a car for 8bhp of improved "driveability".

Kieron is one of the few exceptions.

If we're being pedantic about correct phrases - isn't it Mr JOE Average??!! rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Can we not just leave it that you wouldn't choose to remap your GTI and yet we have ours?! After all, as is said on CL soooo many times, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

Please be quiet now - this is getting boring.

Amen.