Indicator/Hazard Clicking Noise

MurgaGTi

My GTi has started to randomly make the clicking/ticking noise that you hear when you indicate. The lights don't flash inside or outside I just get the annoying noise, sometimes it will go on for my whole drive, sometimes it's just every now and then. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Cheers

Murga

omg its the most anoying thing in the world isnt it, it does it every now and again on the 306.

on the 306 forum they said it is the actual indicator stalk that is making the relay tick. apparently your meant to clean all the connections on the stalks but its a chew on getting them off so i just hammer the indicator from side to side hoping to dislodge it some how lol. never works though so i just turn the music up biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

my car has started doing that... i think its a blown fuse or something... i find that it does it wen im usuing a lot of electrical stuff

The clicking should come from the hazard switch? might need a new switch, its quite a common thing for them to go.

Our Citroen has the same probelm, it goes made and statrs buzzing too, although its behind the dash and i dont fancy removing that blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I've thought about just headbutting the dash where the noise seems to be coming from but some how I don't think that would work!

It's driving me crazy!

Be funny if it set of the airbag laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The hazard light switch is also the relay on the lupo, so that is probable the first thing you should change, if that dont work its either a indicator stalk or wireing fault but from that you have described it sounds like the hazard light switch!

• 3 months later...

oooh... we have this problem... the indicators have stopped working when locking/unlocking the car and the hazard lights don't work when you press the button either...

also, when turning left with the indicator on it make a faster clicking noise than normal (like a bulb had gone even though they all work) - is this a stalk/relay fault?

is the switch an easy fix?

Both of my Arosas have had the hazard problem.

Dont worry, its just the fuse, i think its a 10amp fuse you need.

Look in the fuse cover and the diagram will show you which one you need to replace :)

As for the fast ticking, thats the indicator switch, which i think its just part of the stalk so you will need to replace the whole thing.

Its a steering wheel off job though.

My 1.0 Arosa is having the same problem, however i took off the steering wheel couling, and sprayed into the part which i thought was the switch, with contact cleaner and WD40. Once it worked in it does work better now, although every now and again it still flashes fast.

When its flashing fast, no light will be flashing :)

• 1 year later...

I have just sorted this problem on my wifes Lupo.

The hazard/indicator relay clicks away almost none stop without actualy putting the indicators on at all. Just click click click etc..........

I also had smoke coming out of the sterring wheel housing yesterday, so I thought they might be linked, and its about time I sorted it.

Taking the sterring wheel off, the cause of the smoke was a build up of fluff/hair etc on the copper slip ring behind the steering wheel. I cleaned this up.

As for the clicking the fix was to Replace the Indicator Stalk. 100% sorted.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My GTi has started to randomly make the clicking/ticking noise that you hear when you indicate. The lights don't flash inside or outside I just get the annoying noise, sometimes it will go on for my whole drive, sometimes it's just every now and then. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Cheers

Murga

HAZARD SWITCH / INDICATOR RELAY CLICKING ALL THE TIME

I have basically managed to fix the annoying constant or intermittent clicking from the Hazard Switch / Indicator Relay. Yes the problem lies with a worn out contact in the Indicator Stalk or Indicator Leaver which I took apart, cleaned and soldered a very small nipple back onto the contact that had worn off. Without this little nipple making contact I guess the stalk was not turning the relay off properly. The following is how I did it and what tools I used.

TOOLS:

1. 24mm Socket with 1/2 inch Wrench

2. Hex Screw Head Set

3. Flat Head Screwdriver

4. Phillips Head Screwdriver

5. Solder and Soldering Iron

6. Fine Emery Cloth

7. Wire Brush

1. Take off steering column Covers. One Hex screw and two Phillips head screws underneath. Then prize apart the 2 covers to remove.

2. Un-clip the airbag wire harness. It should be to the left of the column and holds the wires that rotate around the rear of the steering wheel. This is instead of disconnecting the battery. Be sure to reconnect on re-assemly!!

3. REMOVE STEERING WHEEL:

- Insert key into ignition, and turn to the "on", but not "over" position (this will keep the wheel from locking).

- Turn the wheel 90 degrees to one side. You will feel/see a small hole in the back.

- Insert a small flathead screwdriver into the hole. Make sure the screwdriver is angled such that the handle is against the steering column, and the flathead is as high up within the hole as possible. Make sure to push the screwdriver in as far as you can.

- Pull up on the handle. What you are trying to do is push down on a small spring within the steering wheel that holds the airbag locking latch secured.

- You may have to try a couple times, but you will eventually see, hear, and feel the airbag catch release from the spring.

- Turn the wheel in the opposite direction 180 degrees until you can see/feel the second hole.

- Repeat the screwdriver procedure.

- The airbag and horn should now be released from the steering wheel. However, Horn & Airbag still attached to their wiring harnesses.

I managed to leave these connected and balance the airbag while undoing the steering wheel nut. Then the whole ting comes off together with wiring intact.

Otherwise make sure to unplug the harnesses from the airbag and horn before you pull it out too far from the wheel. Be sure to reconnect on re-assemly!!.

- Use the 24mm Socket to undo the Lupo Steering Wheel Nut and Steering Wheel will come free.

4. Un-clip the indicator wiring harnesses from left and right sides of the steering column.

5. Undo the 3 screws to free the indicator stalk from the windscreen wiper stalk and pul free.

6. Take the stalk to your cleaning area where you can arrange the bits we are going to dismantle. Don't worry as below should be pictures I've done to help you through dismantling and reassembly.

7. Undo the one screw on stalk case. Gently unclip the 3 little clips around the case. The case is still held together because of a copper terminal running through both halves of the case. You need to push the protruding copper prong back through its hole with a pair of pliers, being careful not to bend it. The case will prize apart now.

8. Basically we need to clean all terminals of grime and rub them clean with the emery cloth.

9. The main thing on mine was to re-solder a nipple onto the terminal / brush on the Stalk as shown in the picture below. P.S. These pictures are from my server so they may not be around for ever. I wish Club Lupo could host them!!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg