Lowering & Suspension... - Good/Bad Idea?

Guest ModdedCars

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weve had the alloy discussion before, but ill repeat my humble point of view on this for you

of the two i think the mille miglia looks best HOWEVER pleez look at the functional side for a second smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

the OZ superleggeras (you guessed it, my personal faves) are about 40% (alledgedly) lighter than other alloys (so probaly also than the polaris/evos).. this diminishes the unsprung weight making your suspension more responsive and you car more sparkling in the acceleration/handling department..

hence i like the superleggeras on most cars biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

for the full lowdown of how important reducing unsprung weight is on a car (clue: its EXTREMELY important.. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />), matt had a good link somewhere in the forum.. youll need to look it up tho, as im far to plastered to do it for you smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

cheers

Edited By bAAx on April 03 2002 at 19:21

matt had a good link somewhere in the forum

Did I? Heh smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> must have been one of my "better" days then when I posted that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I've never been one for this "wheel weight is very important" - yes, I'm all for functionality over asthetics, but I'm not really prepared to buy alloys I don't really like because they are slightly lighter ??? IMO, at least.

The Americans are mad for it, but its never really been an issue in the UK.

If I had to chose between the two, it would have to be EVO's for me....

*ahem* indeed, it WAS one of your better days tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

you may remember from your link, dear `ayatollah-admin`, that porsche (thats "over 'ere" in europe) went to great lengths to reduce its unsprung weight, as i would imagine other carmakers would, if there wasnt the price/styling question.

have you ever tried some lighter alloys? how about `40-something`-% lighter ones? now frankly, ive never tried it -either?-, but i can feel it in my (engineers tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />)bones its gonna make a VERY noticable difference, so im gonna go for it, but its all part of the grand `five-year`-plan `cash-wise` of course, so itll be a while before i can share the experience with you all (sadly)

i also like the `a-lot`-`of-really`-`thin-spokes` look better than those `flower-like` thingies like the five and six spokes biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

shows off the discs and calipers better smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

mandatory note around these parts: "everyone to his own", of course smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

What size u think i should go 4?15" or 16"? bear in mind that my car is an SDi not a GTI sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But i like it anyway tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> and i think that ill go 4 the evos 2 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

well, imho, if you go for the 16s youre gonna have to fit lower profile tyres (.../45 or maybe .../40) hinting at AMAZING performance smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />, also, and matt has telling imagery of that, you will find the car sitting slightly higher on 16s, so you will want to sink it a little (in itself recommendable smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )

Many Arosa owners have fitted 16's with 195/45/16 tyres without too many problems, and they have the same arches. Tha arches on the GTI are the same SIZE but are DEEPER and the GTi has a wider track, so the GTi can use 215 width tyres.

Heh, I saw some 215/35/16 tyres the other day - rubber bands or what!

... on that note, read on the -newly designed- EVO webpage that the petrolhead community welcomes the arrival of the Pirelli `P-Zero` Nero :

"Pirelli has launched a new `high-performance` tyre called the P Zero Nero. Aimed at those who want fully to exploit the sporting character of their car with no compromises, the P Zero Nero won't be used as an original fit tyre. Instead it will be marketed as an aftermarket tyre for very high performance cars or cars that have been tuned and fitted with larger than standard wheel rims.

Pirelli claims the Nero offers fantastic grip and stability as well as a marked improvement in stopping distances. Unlike strict trackday tyres the Nero is designed to cope well in both wet and dry conditions – but Pirelli still hopes to gain sales amongst trackday customers who don't want the hassle of changing tyres or worrying about unpredictable road conditions. It comes in 18 sizes ranging from 215/35 ZR16 to 275/35 ZR18. `Ultra-low` profile 19- and `20-inch` versions will arrive within the next couple of months."

text by EVO

of course they are forgetting 205/45orless Z15/16s hallelujah!

I saw that too....as you say, no Lupo tyres there....

Talking of EVO - they've ended the LupoGTI long term test. However, they havent done an "End of Term" report on it....all they have is a little update. `Chee-Chui` Lee has replaced his "much loved" Lupo with a Toyota Celica `T-Sport`.

He also says :

[i:post_uid0]"The little VW may have a light appetite for fuel, brakes and such, but it has one rather expensive taste - I was quoted over £260 for a set of front boots. Its a good job my time with the Lupo is at an end, saving me a packet by not having to replace them! Phew!"[/i:post_uid0]

Now, I'm not sure if they will do they End of Term test next month, which they may do. If not, I feel I may have to make a comment.

Other than that, £260! for front tyres!!!! I think I'm going to have to start going easy on the accelerator!!!!

I was looking at getting some "quality" tyres for mine too, i.e. Eagle F1's or something similar....

But I'd hate to think how much they'd be.... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Must buy new alloys instead biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

And one final thing, is the `never-ending` thread or something? This the 61st reply!

Not sure about extended quite, went into pub after work at 5ish for a quick drink, got slung out at 7ish following morning, and boy did I feel cr@p all day friday and most of today - must be because of the age thing......

• 2 weeks later...

i have a ibiza 8v cupra at moment until i pick up my lupo and recently forked out 580 notes on superleggeras 17" and they are so light, lighter than 205/40 rubber theyre wrapped in. as for handling im not sure if they are better or if the car is faster but if i was to replace the std gti rims i'd go for another set purely on weight reduction to counter my fat ass in the car biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(gordon)
i have a ibiza 8v cupra at moment until i pick up my lupo and recently forked out 580 notes on superleggeras 17" and they are so light, lighter than 205/40 rubber theyre wrapped in. as for handling im not sure if they are better or if the car is faster but if i was to replace the std gti rims i'd go for another set purely on weight reduction to counter my fat ass in the car   biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

pix please smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(gordon)
pic of my fat ass, i think i have a url for them.

rofl.....

and i hope its not one of those `amateur-ish` unfocused images with while skin around the flash area either biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(gordon)
do eibach do `anti-roll` bars for gti? got them on the beeza and def best £300 i spent.

yes they do, in addition to the `pro-kit` springs you can get a set for the lupo... check under "produkte" > "fahrwerk strasse" > "typenliste" > "VW combi" > "lupo" here

so did you fit them with or without uprated springs/dampers?

matt, remember, eibach make the springs to go with a good damper upgrade.. and their bars are made go go with those

but you prob meant a bilstein PSS9 or some or other biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />