Casper's Supercharged GTi - MK Indy Hayabusa Turbo - 413bhp/243ftlb

CasperGTI

Ok so once again time to take the car appart again. Not becasue its broken but its infact service time.

New oil, and the usuall filters. Yep thats right, my oil only lasts me 4000 miles and its £50 for every 5 litres.

Whilst the engine was drained, started to fit the thermostatic oil cooler, going to need it with the increase in power thats soon expected.

So as usual, didn't go for cheap stuff, nor did i go for a kit.... Went for a Mocal 235mm 16 row cooler, Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate with 80 degree thermostat, then to finish it off Aeroquip hoses and fittings, with a special adaptor for an oil temp take off as the oil comes out of the cooler.

Keeping the original water/oil cooler in there, basically because its too difficult to remove now everything is around it, and also because i will use it to warm the oil up faster on those cold mornings.

Just got to make up the brackets tomorrow to hold the cooler in place, gotta say its a really tight fit once again!

Started like this

P1050540.jpg

Then bumper off, and bracket work taken out of the way to get the cooler in.

P1050546.jpg

P1050566.jpg

All the new shiney bits ready to go on.

P1050549.jpg

P1050550.jpg

P1050551.jpg

Trial fit with the filter

P1050553.jpg

P1050554.jpg

Pipes all made up, and routed to fit.

P1050555.jpg

P1050564.jpg

P1050565.jpg

John

Whats the rad for under the drivers lights?

The supercharger is liquid cooled using a custom made water jacket. The small rad under the driver side headlight is the radiator for this cooling system.

Ah right, does that increase power? :confused:

Just makes it more drinkable.

Edited by nfbr

Well Oil cooler is finished, really really tight fit. Brackets are a bit odd too, just weirdly bent bits of aluminium. But it serves a purpose, and holds it in there well.

Took the car out for a drive yesterday, bearing in mind it was 28 degrees yesterday, and gave it a good drive. Highest i saw the oil get to was 210 deg F, Which is about 97 degrees C. Last summer i saw the oil reach 240F which is 115C before i had to give her a chance to cool down. So in comparison its made a fair bit of difference already.

Whilst doing it, i thought it would be a good idea to try and make a manual fan switch work too, so i have control of the fan whilst driving. Ideally for summer driving where i see high operating temps,

So centre console out, and got to the back of the heater/fan controls. As i dont use the air conditioning anymore i thought it would be a great little subdue mod to use the AC switch a the fan switch, nice and concealed. So after a bit of plugging about with the multimeter i found that it was an earth switching circuit, which i then traced the wiring back through the car to the fan control unit, and modified the wire so that it triggers the fan.

Works perfectly! Another job done, Next is water/meth controller and solenoid fitting.

John

Well Oil cooler is finished, really really tight fit. Brackets are a bit odd too, just weirdly bent bits of aluminium. But it serves a purpose, and holds it in there well.

Took the car out for a drive yesterday, bearing in mind it was 28 degrees yesterday, and gave it a good drive. Highest i saw the oil get to was 210 deg F, Which is about 97 degrees C. Last summer i saw the oil reach 240F which is 115C before i had to give her a chance to cool down. So in comparison its made a fair bit of difference already.

Whilst doing it, i thought it would be a good idea to try and make a manual fan switch work too, so i have control of the fan whilst driving. Ideally for summer driving where i see high operating temps,

So centre console out, and got to the back of the heater/fan controls. As i dont use the air conditioning anymore i thought it would be a great little subdue mod to use the AC switch a the fan switch, nice and concealed. So after a bit of plugging about with the multimeter i found that it was an earth switching circuit, which i then traced the wiring back through the car to the fan control unit, and modified the wire so that it triggers the fan.

Works perfectly! Another job done, Next is water/meth controller and solenoid fitting.

John

Does it ****! :lol:

Oi, yes it does...... laugh.gif

The light comes on when its off as to warn me ive not switched it on huh.gif

Like Homer's 'everything's ok alarm' genius!!