Casper's Supercharged GTi - MK Indy Hayabusa Turbo - 413bhp/243ftlb

CasperGTI

Really impresive project ! RESPECT

i have question regarding water cooling of eaton !?

which facet pump do you use ?! any pic

i saw that operating temperature of facet pump is form -31 to +55 Celsius

but i think water temperature is higher in hot days ??

Really impresive project ! RESPECT

i have question regarding water cooling of eaton !?

which facet pump do you use ?! any pic

i saw that operating temperature of facet pump is form -31 to +55 Celsius

but i think water temperature is higher in hot days ??

Its the small square facet pump, its quite hard to get to as its hidden away at the front of the slam panel.

With the watercooling the water gets to about 50 degrees, i can still put my finger in the wayer without any discomfort. The pump is quite high flow and the radiator works well on it, it does take alot of heat away from it. The charger operating temp with the jacket must be about 70 degrees i would have thought.

Had a bit of a brain wave last night, i slotted the side steady on the charger, so i think its probably fallen to the bottom of the slots with belt tension and heat, which might be another contributing factor to the heat as its closer to the exhaust manifold. Ill make a new steady today.

John

I couldnt resist when this came up.

Brand new 2005 5th generation supercharger, still has the timing marks on it, Its super rare and i got it for a propper steal!

Mine will be refurbished and then will be up for sale for anyone interested.

Will be adjusting it to fit, making a new plate for the boost pipe and machining up the intake pipe to suit over the weekend hopefully.

P1040189.jpg

P1040192.jpg

P1040191.jpg

P1040190.jpg

P1040196.jpg

P1040195.jpg

John

Yeah it is, its just spanking new.

You can port them yeah, not many people have done it in the uk, mainly in the usa. You can get a bit more boost out of them, but you have to strip it down to do it. I dont want to do that again! especially to a new unit.

John

Near enough.

I have a blanking plate for the end to put on, i have to cut a bit off and trim down one of the lugs to get it to sit at the right height, and im going to make a new exhaust pipe off the charger which will go straight to a 63mm stainless pipe not a 76mm then to 63, just to save me some space.

John

Well it's going to be rebuilt, so will owe me that cost. Been watching them on eBay and 5th gens are going for about 250 plus postage, when they acutally turn up on eBay that is. so if I don't get a hard offer for that them I'll let it go on eBay.

Bearings finally arrived yesterday, so popped them in the freezer overnight to fit them.

Better than the last one, well whats left of it

Blowtorch on the casing to get it to expand, and then pressed it in, which was a right nightmare. Then fitted the charger back together and filled it up with oil with mobilube SHC, relubricated the bearings, nicely packed. From moving it by hand its loads better, so hopefully ive given it a new lease of life.

Got my heat shield and made an exhaust manifold shield.

Heat proof material for the bottom of the charger too. Need to get as protection as possible.

Charger back in tomorrow, then will run it for a bit before putting the water jacket on and painting it to make sure its all alright.

Then water jacket back on, give it a new coat of paint and then back on the rollers to play with the ignition timing to find a bit more power.

Once a project, always a project.

John

Hi John!

Can you tel me how did you mount the bearings in the SC. I've got my new bearings to from Rolling Performance, and I will mount them tomorrow, and I dont know what should I do. Should I cool down the bearings (put in the freezer) or should I heat the body of my supercharger? Or both?

Thank's for help: Matthew

I froze the bearing and heated the charger but they are very hard to put in still, ended up using a press aswell to get them in, it is very hard to keep them square when purring them in. Be very careful, it is very easy to damage the charger casing, it's a very soft aluminim casting

john

Good to see this is still progressing!!!

I was up at the Isle of Mull rally a few weeks ago, and one of the minisport BMW mini coopers was using a cooling system exactly like yours on the supercharger, fixed to each side with a separate header tank and radiator. I took some pictures so you could compare how you've done it to the pro's!! TBH yours looks better, lol!

Ill get the pictures up when I find them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Andi I have to say that it really works well in stopping heat transfer to the charger, I'm really pleased with it.

From reasons marks comment, I realised I haven't updated this in quite a while so here we go!

Fitted the new charger after modifying it to fit about 2 weeks ago now, I must say that it was a very noticable difference in noise and the way it performs straight away, I raised the charger up as high as it can go now, and extended the belt up to a 1894mm and also moved the tensioner, I'll put up some photos when I have the time.

Still a bit to do but it's running great at the moment, and that's without the cooling jacket and the reduction pulley.

Wil be puting a smaller pulley on at some point, I think 55mm was too small so probably going to goto 60mm it's basically just to get the peak boost at the right rpm.

Got alot of plans for the winter, looking for some show wheels, few interior bits, this and that..... Enough to keep me busy anyway so stay tuned!

John

Yeah Andi I have to say that it really works well in stopping heat transfer to the charger, I'm really pleased with it.

From reasons marks comment, I realised I haven't updated this in quite a while so here we go!

Fitted the new charger after modifying it to fit about 2 weeks ago now, I must say that it was a very noticable difference in noise and the way it performs straight away, I raised the charger up as high as it can go now, and extended the belt up to a 1894mm and also moved the tensioner, I'll put up some photos when I have the time.

Still a bit to do but it's running great at the moment, and that's without the cooling jacket and the reduction pulley.

Wil be puting a smaller pulley on at some point, I think 55mm was too small so probably going to goto 60mm it's basically just to get the peak boost at the right rpm.

Got alot of plans for the winter, looking for some show wheels, few interior bits, this and that..... Enough to keep me busy anyway so stay tuned!

John

What RPM are you seeing Peak boost at atm??

Show wheels??