Casper's Supercharged GTi - MK Indy Hayabusa Turbo - 413bhp/243ftlb

CasperGTI

Well, you have obviously done your research and know what your taking about. Which is a refreshing change. How about a custom crank and shorter con rods? maybe use the conrods from a 20v turbo? Something to think about at least.

I spoke to phoenix engineering who could have made a crank shaft for me, but i fell off my seat when they quoted £1100 +Vat for the custom job, and that it would take close to 4 months to make, I simply couldnt afford to put it in to my budget.

I think the bottom end on the gti is strong enough, its the rods you have to worry about as they are pretty thin compared to turbo engines, and use weak 5/16 bolts in the bearing case... not good for anything other that what its meant for really TBH.

I dont know how much i could shorten the con rods by, which is why i have gone for a plate instead. It would have been good if i could but i think the plate will be fine for this applicaton, there used in loads of big turbo cosworths with no problems so should be ample strong enough for my low boost set up compared to them.

John

And im sure it will make you nervous again claire......

Will hopefully have the charger instaled for making the pipes up this weekend, weather dependant though! Decided that i need to do the charger initial mounting and pipework before i take out the engine because if i need to adjust other bits it would be better if the engine was in, if you gets me.

If the weekends like today, then i think ill make a good bit of progress.

John

Sadly she dosent look like that any more!

12102008141.jpg

Heres one from ED38.

DSCF2047.jpg

And a few of a couple of bits for the conversion. sorry about the quality, there off my phone as my camera has dissapeared??

The cooper S blower exhaust is a key to this with the gti, there is no room at all for a standard pipe. Even with it there is only about 15-20mm between it and the radiator, Hopefully with stiffer engine mount rubbers it wont hit the radiator and make me cry :wacko: Im going to cut it just before it starts to bend, then weld on an adaptor that will change it back to a 60mm pipe as thats the size im going to use for the whole conversion.

12102008137.jpg

12102008139.jpg

3.0mm decomp plate which will drop the CR to about 8.2:1, HG and the sealant im going to use for the head, You should never use two head gaskets with decomp plates. It will only make the area weaker.

12102008138.jpg

For anyone thats interested, Heres a diagram of the belt routing for the git with aircon:

N13-0441.jpg

And a conversion table for CR's based on your max boost pressure at max rpm:

CRs.jpg

So ive now got the routing sorted out for the intercooler and the pipework, theres always a bit of cutting needed but it should all be ok, so will be ordering that on monday. I need to loose the front tow eye though to get it all to work. and once again the aircon provides to be the bain of my life!

The fluid container is right in the way, meaning i have to put the intercooler above the container which wont put it as on show as i wanted, will have to make it bigger aswell to get the same about of cooling airflow. Unless i cut up the bumper to make it fit, but then the tow eye covers may not fit back on as ill have to cut off the clip lugs.

I suppose i have some progress, but not as much as i wanted.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Yes well on of them sort of looks like this one, but the top bit is smaller. It mounts round the alternator and bolts on to the two original bolts of the alternator. And the other mount is the same as in paulbins top mount.

dsc04387fz6.jpg

The top has an idler pulley in between the alternator and the supercharger pulley, to keep the belt tight.

I dont have finalised mounts yet as its so tight in the GTi so ill probably end up making a few of them untill i gto it 100%. Im first trying by moving the radiator forwards about 10mm, as that all the space i have, then will make a set of mounts that gets the charger as close as possible to the enigne. then i think the cooper S outlet will fit with about 10-15mm to spare. If all else fails, im going to get a performance radiator made that i can make small enough so i can get a pipe out straight and down, rather than round the back of the headlight. Ill only be loosing about 50mm of radiator anyway if i do that so thats an option, but ill start with the cheapest first.

I didnt get to mount the charger this weekend, as i need to take the lock carrier off and had to spend the time degassing and making the aircon safe.

A few pics of the charger, the cooper S pipe is nice and flat. Will grind off the lugs (ones snapped off already) and cut the pipe so it comes off parallel, and then should be able to weld a pipe on to it and adapt it back to a 60mm pipe. its going to be.......

P1010568.jpg

P1010567.jpg

Tight...

A few pics of the charger, the cooper S pipe is nice and flat. Will grind off the lugs (ones snapped off already) and cut the pipe so it comes off parallel, and then should be able to weld a pipe on to it and adapt it back to a 60mm pipe. its going to be.......

P1010568.jpg

P1010567.jpg

Tight...

so this chargers (cooper s) goner fit onto that bracket/adaperter from the 1.4 16v yea??? its massive. my brains hurting so much info arrhhhhh

No, there custom brackets... but are the same as the one on the charged 1.4 as the outside of the block is the same.

Im now not using the cooper S pipe anymore, its going to be way too tight, so im getting a new radiator that is slightly smaller but thicker in the core. I also need to get rid of the AC pipes.... as you can see from the pics.

Todays progress...

Took a grinder to the charger, and took off all the lugs i didnt need.

P1010578.jpg

P1010579.jpg

Took off the front of the car, and placed the charger in to see how it fits, and put the front of the car back together...

P1010580.jpg

P1010584.jpg

P1010594.jpg

P1010585.jpg

P1010586.jpg

P1010590.jpg

Then i took it all appart and started on making a template out of 1/4 ply, after three attempts, i finally got the bracket square enough to get the charger sat in the right place. At the moment, its nearly touching the mainfold. Hopefully when i get the raceland on it then it might be a bit further away. With the new radiator ill be able to ge the pipe out no problems, through the intercooler and back up the passenger side to the TB.

P1010595.jpg

P1010596.jpg

P1010598.jpg

P1010599.jpg

P1010600.jpg

P1010601.jpg

Looking good, pretty pleased. Tomorrow, im going to make the plate out of metal and then sort out the radiator measurements.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

The main challenge is getting the air conditioning out of the way. Im focussed on not having to take it out of the car, but if needs must then i will. Other than that, its not as tight as it looks although that is if you remove the radiator and get a new one.

Getting a twin core 43mm one which is about 180mm shorter and 10mm thicker than the original one. Should do the job nicely.

Does anyone know of a place that makes flexable aircon pipes?

John

fair play u dont mess about,lol.looking good.have you mounted it on the bottom2 yea? have you got enough space at the front for wen the engine rocks? how much has this cost u so far then?? its either this im doing or i herd the 1.8 turbo engine audi/golf etc fits in with not to much trouble.wether its true or not i dunno.

Edited by toddyw

Pro alloy will be doing the radiator, just sorting out a drawing to send to them next week, dont know a price yet but probably in the region of about £350 possibly +vat.

We will see.....

The conversion will probably end up costing about 5500 i think, that gives a me a bit for extras too. It would cost alot more if you had a company do it for you.... if you havent got the technical ability to do it yourself i wouldnt reccomend doing it.... buy a faster car with the money!

There will be plenty of room for the engine rocking once its finished, i still need to trim the top of the slam panel back a bit more, then theres plenty of room. I think ill try to get hold of some stiffer engine mount rubbers just to be on the safe side.

Oh and toddy, please can you delete the quote bit on your post, its huge!!

Anyway, done the top mount bracket. chargers back in and front is back on... it all fits at the moment, happy me..

P1010602.jpg

P1010610.jpg

P1010611.jpg

John

Edited by CasperGTI