Idling problem

mintylupo

This problem started on Friday night. Basically, from cold, it won't idle. Take my foot of the gas and it stalls. Only after it has warmed up a bit, does it idle ok, but even then only at around 500rpm.

Anyone have any ideas to what it might be and for a fix. Hopefully not going to be expensive.

Cheers.

Mine does exactly the same thing, feather the throttle till a little warm then she'll rev herself and then finally idle at 900ish.

Shall have to sort it sometime i think, though do the above and clean the throttle out, makes a lot of difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, had the problem looked at at a local garage. They put a diagnostic machine on and it came back with fault code 282 - Throttle body position and they are saying that I need a new throttle body! (and a coolant temp sensor)

Priced one up at local VW garage, and they quoted me £340 inc VAT! A friend says GSF do them for around £170?

Any help with sourcing one cheaply would be much appreciated. (or maybe upgrade it, if it's cheap enough!).

Cheers

How much did the garage charge you for the diagnostic?

Since cleaning out the throttle housing and intake on friday mine now seems to hunt even more, as if i've still got my foot on the gas when coming to junctions and the like. Starts up fine, better than ever though now it hunts all the time and seems to take forever to come back to idle when revving/blipping the throttle.

Shall have to look into this problem, as i too, don't want to spending all that cash unnecessarily.

• 1 month later...
Ok, had the problem looked at at a local garage. They put a diagnostic machine on and it came back with fault code 282 - Throttle body position and they are saying that I need a new throttle body! (and a coolant temp sensor)

Priced one up at local VW garage, and they quoted me £340 inc VAT! A friend says GSF do them for around £170?

Any help with sourcing one cheaply would be much appreciated. (or maybe upgrade it, if it's cheap enough!).

Cheers

Hello did you get the problem resolved and what did you do?

Did you have to change the coolant temp sensor?

THrottle body is really easy to fit. Just take of the engine bay cover, 4 bolts. Then take of the airbox, think you can cheat by unscrewing it through that inspection hole thinggy, then unplug the throttle body, take off the four bolts nad voila. Do the reverse to fit. TOok me about 15 mins to take off, clean and refit mine.

I cant see why you'd need to set it up in vag-com. If its the same part number then its the same part. Could be wrong thouugh.

THrottle body is really easy to fit. Just take of the engine bay cover, 4 bolts. Then take of the airbox, think you can cheat by unscrewing it through that inspection hole thinggy, then unplug the throttle body, take off the four bolts nad voila. Do the reverse to fit. TOok me about 15 mins to take off, clean and refit mine.

I cant see why you'd need to set it up in vag-com. If its the same part number then its the same part. Could be wrong thouugh.

Hello guys,

Cleaned my throttle body today, i couldn't believe how much dirt there was.

It didn't idle when it was cold, after 30 seconds it would come right.

Must of the dirt was in the pipe that came from the manifold to the inlet by the Throttle body was completely blocked.

Very simple operation, there is no need to open the black box or remove the black plug it is very well sealed and no dirt can get in there.

Just alot of carb cleaner a tooth brush and a knife just to scrap the stuff that is hard to come of.

Don't forget to take the pipe that comes from the manifold and give it a good clean, let the carb liquid sit in there for a while.

Didn't need to use Vag-com, it worked first time no problem.

And to finish let me thank all of you for the advice given, VERY HELPFULL.

TONY