Changing Spark plugs

Hiya all

the lupo the other day had a check warning light come on so it went off to the dealers to figure out what was wrong was told leads and plugs

although they were replaced 6 months ago!

So going to do it myself this time i have checked the leads no splits ..actually look brand new still the connecting ends are still clean!.

Bought myself a halfords spark plug service kit is there anything special i need to know?

or is it a simple remove HT lead unscrew spark plug check and screw back in thing?

Cheers

Mike ...

Ouch had a bash earlier and removed and checked them all they look rather white and the electrode on some looks smaller than the others

They are bosch plugs only replaced 6 months ago!

Guess the risk to the threads isnt that great as long as you start them off by hand and taking it easy smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Probs can do it with without taking the engine cover off lucky i did as VW forgot to connect the breather hoses back to the air filter ..sigh!.

So what plugs are recommended for the 1 pint engine? guessing bosch plugs arent the greatest smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Ouch had a bash earlier and removed and checked them all they look rather white and the electrode on some looks smaller than the others

They are bosch plugs only replaced 6 months ago!

Guess the risk to the threads isnt that great as long as you start them off by hand and taking it easy smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Probs can do it with without taking the engine cover off lucky i did as VW forgot to connect the breather hoses back to the air filter ..sigh!.

So what plugs are recommended for the 1 pint engine? guessing bosch plugs arent the greatest smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Bosch plugs? Says it all really... Heard loads of problems with people running Bosch plugs on VAG engines.

NGK stock code 2397... go to your local motor factors and buy four of these... it'll work a treat then...

shouldn't cost you more than a tenner.

urgh! get them bosch ones out ASAP!!!!! shocking plugs!! and put a small amount of engine oil from your dip stick on the thread of the nu plugs before u put em in - helps an easy non cross threading entrance!lol.

urgh! get them bosch ones out ASAP!!!!! shocking plugs!! and put a small amount of engine oil from your dip stick on the thread of the nu plugs before u put em in - helps an easy non cross threading entrance!lol.

IGNORE THIS ADVICE...

Oiling the threads sounds like a good idea why ignore? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks for the advice ill get the NGK plugs do halfords stock them? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

*bangs head on desk I paid a fortune 6 months ago to get the leads and plugs done! ..Knew bloody sparkplugs didnt cost £15 each!*

Oiling the threads sounds like a good idea why ignore? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks for the advice ill get the NGK plugs do halfords stock them? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

*bangs head on desk I paid a fortune 6 months ago to get the leads and plugs done! ..Knew bloody sparkplugs didnt cost £15 each!*

Because a spark plug is steel, and a cylinder head is usually aluminium. Oiling up the thread could 1) Cause the plug to cut itself a new thread in the cylinder head, 2) Wet the electrode meaning you've just fitted a useless plug...

The thread where a spark plug fits has absolutely no reason to be still whatsoever, and if it is stiff for any reason, take the plug out, and make sure you've seated it properly!

Guess they should be designed for the size of the engine smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Just out of curiousity should there be a couple of washers at the top of the spark plug to stop it screwing in further?

Guess they should be designed for the size of the engine smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Just out of curiousity should there be a couple of washers at the top of the spark plug to stop it screwing in further?

All depends on the seat type.

If its a taper seat then it wont have the washers. if its a flat seated plug it will have like a two peice washer.

righto!!!haha, still funny though as I have fitted spark plugs to lots of expensive cars!!!and not one has EVER had a problem!!!!! mike - do what you want mate, if ur careful with the oil and only put it on the 1st 2 threads of the plug ur away mate. it won't hurt your car and most decent garages do it cus uv got a better chance of not fcukin up the thread!!!!!trust me, its fine!:-D

righto!!!haha, still funny though as I have fitted spark plugs to lots of expensive cars!!!and not one has EVER had a problem!!!!! mike - do what you want mate, if ur careful with the oil and only put it on the 1st 2 threads of the plug ur away mate. it won't hurt your car and most decent garages do it cus uv got a better chance of not fcukin up the thread!!!!!trust me, its fine!:-D

Oh boy am i gona laugh if this causes him a problem...

theres no need to do it whatsoever! the thread on a cylinder head where the spark plug goes in, has no reason to get dirty.

my job title: Automotive Parts Consultant

the people i deal with every working day of my life: Engineers, Mechanics, Technicians. Not one of the HUNDREDS of these who i deal with would ever recomend putting anything on a spark plug before fitting it.

places like hellfrauds sell spark plug grease, this is merely a way to make money.

I've also serviced a ka-jillion cars myself and NEVER put anything on the plugs...

P.S. Whats the point in doing something that you don't need to do... I shall let the originator of this thread make his own mind up on what to do.

The plugs are the easy part just do'nt hang on them they are not holding a battle ship together just collapse the washer and give it a little nip after than.

The leads will give you more of a problem if you do'nt make a note of where the leads fit to the coil pack.

Thanks for the advice everyone smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> dont think ill bother oiling the threads, Going to go down halfords to see if they have any in stock smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

last word from me...i dont care!haha. life is easier that way...oil or no oil on a spark plug....plus...your oil shouldnt be dirty anyway!!!!...not if u look after your engine change oil regularly etcetc. mike - good luck mate...there really is nothing to worry about when ya screw em in with or without oil/grease, just be gentle and slow and try not to get ga grubby hands on the electrode!lol.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> well if your in huddersfield and you see someone putting spark plugs in with a hammer you know somethings gone wrong biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> well if your in huddersfield and you see someone putting spark plugs in with a hammer you know somethings gone wrong biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

hahah....bash bash....'come on you bastrd' *wielding sledge hammer in hands...swinging vigorously!!!*

Just came back from halfords and bought these said on the sheet its for ALL engine codes are these the right ones? my engine code is AUC and it wasnt listed

dsc00036ji0.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Had a look for NGK2397`s and couldnt see them sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

not sure abouts them matie....been on ngks website - this is the part number of their set of plugs for a AUC engine code - PZFR5D-11. could always get um online?!

Just came back from halfords and bought these said on the sheet its for ALL engine codes are these the right ones? my engine code is AUC and it wasnt listed

dsc00036ji0.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Had a look for NGK2397`s and couldnt see them sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Thats cos Halfords arent a motor factor.

Ah well ill take them back and have to see what the local car parts place has got in smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Why so bloody many different variants?! sure vauxhall never did have so many as volkswagen! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

EDIT

Just been on NGK`s website and I cant find the NGK2397 although the parts finder says I need part number PZFR5D-11 (stock code 7968) for the AUC and ALD engines

Edited by mike uk