Knocking sound from underbody - Anyone had similar problems

Just recently I have had a quite a loud knocking sound from under the passenger side of the car. It usually occurs when I change up/down the lower gears or when pulling offor as soon as I accelerate. Doesent sound too healthy so its in VW on monday. Anyone else had similar problems?

Apart from that the cars great, and now its run in I have been able to enjoy it even more.

John

i get the occasional knock when steering is in fulll lock on the drive. never had any noise from the gear box though!

i'm the same as putters, i remember reading something from some guy on here about (japanese i think!?) Loops and a massive recall re: steering racks, mine does it all the time - but then again i also reckon i've cooked one of my wheel bearings - whatever the noise is, t doen't sound too healthy, but yet again i really can't be arsed with a crap excuse from vw (i'm trying to move house at the mo, and i've heard enuff crap from solicitors and estate agents to last me a fookin lifetime!).........as ian would say.............****arse mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

My little SDi started with a knock from underneath recently, together with a strange buzz at exactly 2000rpm, further investigation showed that the exhaust is as rotten as a pear!

One of the hangers had come loose and was knocking on the underneath of the car.

I was very dissapointed to have to buy a new exhaust for a car that is only 3 years old (just out of warranty) and with only 20K miles on the clock.

I suppose that it is the cars low miles over the last three years that have rotted the exhaust so quickly.

Now I've seen that the front discs are shagged too! mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

exhaust dont last very long in british climate conditions.

Yep, it was a suprise to find it so rotten, but luckily the replacement bits aren't too pricey, same with the brake discs too.

I suspect that the fact that the car hasn't been used much over its life is to blame. Still I got a bargain, and the rest of the car is as new with nice spec. It is an 'S' model with quite a few factory extras like front fogs, ABS, heated seats, CD Player etc, and weirdly enough a 3 seat rear bench with 3 headrests? I haven't seen this arangement before in a Lupo.

The car was bought as a `run-a`-bout for me and the missus as my other two VeeDubs only see summer use (they've become classics now) but I have to say that I've become a bit of a Lupo enthusiast!

A lot of people say that the SDi is *really* slow, but once you've become used to the power delivery and max torque relatively low down the rev range - you can have lots of fun!

Keep up the good work guys, I hope to check these forums regularly....

the three seat bench is an extra too. mine has two seats with funny holders each side!

dito. on my next day off im going to hound vw for new xenon washer set too as mine is not returning flush to the bumper!