Bulb Replacement

When I put my headlights on dipped beam last night I noticed that the passenger side bulb had gone.

Has anyone here replaced light bulbs, or have they left it to the dealer. You don't have to take the bumper off to replace the bulb do you?

no the bumper doesnt have to come off.

- o wait its a GTi ... and there zeons right? i dunno so..... blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

the light is a bit hard to get to but easily done. there is a metal clip holding the back of the light on. mine was well tight. i cant remember exactly how to do it. i took mine to halfords. for £2.50 they will send some feck witt to fit the bulbs. VW charge £12 to change a light bulb. is yours a gti?

ok so its a gti! yeah go to halfords buy a bulb let them fit it. i also ruined my jacket doing this as i got oil on it. let them do the dirty work.

excuse me, but dipped beam = the first position of the light knob? If so, you could do it yourself; there's a metal hatch you need to push upwards and then you can get the back of th e light housing off and repace the bulb.

If dipped beam = low beam DON'T TOUCH!!!!!!!! as it is a Xenon eadlamp, and that means there's voltages up to 28000 volts going round there... ah, a Xenon bulb will cost you about 160€.

Ok, had a go at replacing the dipped headlight bulb tonight.

Christ, what a nightmare. Got the clip off the cover OK and got access to the back of the light.

In a great piece of design innovation VW have put a spring loaded clip onto the back of the main beam bulb (which means it comes out really easily), but the dipped headlight bulb appears to be welded into the light!!

I have tried waggling it, turning it, pulling it and would it shift? Would it ******! I don't want to put too much pressure on it and break it so does anyone know how the hell you get the dipped beam bulbholder out of the light so you can get the bulb out?

I don't suppose VW have put the info in the Lupo manual have they? I haven't got mine with me so can't check but my Dad's Focus manual gives you details on changing all the bulbs.

My manual just said something like "To change your bulbs, take the car to an official dealer and let it be done by proffesional (spelling?) mechanics" didn't take notice tho biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to the local dealer to order my red trimmed mats for the Loop. Should look the dogs bollox with the red seatbelts and grey interior.

Also, more info on my dipped beam lightbulb saga. The manual says "go to the dealer", there's no available Haynes manual, and the Halfords monkey said "our manual says DNA - do not attempt".

So, though I can't believe this, I'm going to have to book my car in at the dealer to get the dipped beam bulb changed. Has anyone had this done and what was the cost?

• 5 years later...
excuse me, but dipped beam = the first position of the light knob? If so, you could do it yourself; there's a metal hatch you need to push upwards and then you can get the back of th e light housing off and repace the bulb.

If dipped beam = low beam DON'T TOUCH!!!!!!!! as it is a Xenon eadlamp, and that means there's voltages up to 28000 volts going round there... ah, a Xenon bulb will cost you about 160€.

no the first position on your light swith is side lights, they should be relatively cheap and easy to replace, only dificulty will be that it will be small and fiddly to get at. The next click along on your light switch turns on your xenon lights at a dipped beam with your sidelights also on in the smaller lense on the inside of your main lights. Then when you click full beam on a shutter lifts on your xenons revealing the full beam and also your halogen bulbs turn on which are in the same housing as the side lights. I'm assuming you mean your side light isn't working in which case if you look under the bonnet at where the light comes from it's a mini version of a standard lupo headlight and you release the metal wire clasp and remove the bulb. Bout 5 quid a pair from halfords. You'll have to do it yourself as the monkeys at halfords are useless and couldn't even change a bulb in my old sport. Easy tho. I don't know the bulb specs as know one answered my previous request for info. If it's the xenon I think the light unit by itself is around £250

how do, i know this is a dead thread and im going to look like a reet noob, but, what are the bulb types for the lupo? and is it easier to loosen the headlight and pull out slightly to change the bulbs?

is just a 1.4 S

Your main lights are H4 bulbs 472EB 12v 60/55w.your side lights are 501s. I had a sport and I managed to change the bulbs several times without much grief. It is a tight squeeze but is achievable without altering the headlight units position. Ha ha the dead link has been resurrected

• Like 1

thanks very much for the help, thought was going to be a case of rtfm but it wasnt in there lol, are the indicater bulbs straight bayonnet or offset? want some silvertecs,

Straight I think.

Edit....

I've found what i've done to my car and I can't see which ones they are. I'll have to check tomorrow or someone how has a better memory than me will tell you.

Just a few little things done....

Silver indicator bulbs......

DSC02143.jpg

Before

DSC02144.jpg

After

DSC02145.jpg

Before

DSC02147.jpg

After

DSC02148.jpg

Then some really blue sidelight blubs...... that look white, Result!

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

Edited by Steve TDI