Dash Rattles...

Hi,

I'm sure my dash has far too many rattles than it should for a 2 year old. Is this covered under warranty?

Oh, and sometimes when i turn the engine off i can hear a grainy sound coming from the speedometer (or around abouts) Almost like a trickle of small stones...

Unusual symptoms, i know.

Cheers for any help, hughesy

sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> i have the odd one or two as well mate. TBH i think it's coz i thrash the car - so i'm not really surprised. however it should be covered under warranty (i think) - but then again i would have thought that this is one of those things where if you get a dealer to demolish your dash looking for something they will miss crap loads of screws putting it all back together and you'll end up with an even noisier dash!! (lets face it if they can't even put a new washer yet in my rear wash/wipe and get it to work, i wouldn't trust 'em with a crap load of wires and screws in my dash!)......however, don't let my ranting stop you!! :thumbs:

how many miles has it got?

Personally, I've never been in a car that doesn't rattle over bumps and holes in the road, even nazi staff cars, the supposed paragon of rattle free cars. IMO a firm suspensh `set-up`, combined with badly maintained roads and those infernal speed bumps, means your car doesn't stand a chance of staying rattle free

I've got an annoying one somewhere near the nearside rear seatbelt/tailgate area and one behind the speedo, but I only hear them when I go over bumps or holes. Mine has only covered 8000 miles mind.

Quite agree about taking the dash apart. I had an ICE in my last Loop and the dash was never the same after it was put back together.

mine has developed one recently. think its the vibrations of the k&n! it makes my snooper rattle! as twisty will confirm! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

getting the sill scoop fixed for £100. only bumped a bench. oh and a bollard. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ???

anyone a noticed a bloody annoying rattle coming from underneath the ashtray ?

it goes away when the ashtray is pushed down hard but its not the ashtray itself

anyone know how to get access to this area so i can tape everything up

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an annoying rattle coming from the shelf area under the steering wheel. Tends to start once you go over a certain road surface and won't stop apart from when you push the shelf upwards!! Or just turn up the stereo!! Thinking of getting vw to take a look seeing as its still under warranty along with my temperature switch that doesn't go fully onto the blue cold dot!!

My other annoying rattle comes from the back right seatbelt area by the parcel shelf.

Glad I'm not the only one with a rattling loop then...!! :thumbs:

the problem is the bit of plastic on the bottom of the cup holders rattling against the top of the bit where the heater controls are

i just shoved a folded tiny piece of paper between them and it stopped and i cant see it so its staying

Moreno, DIY shops sell sticky foam rolls of various thicknesses. It's black, and even when I look for it not so easy to spot. 60p a roll, can be used loads of places.

Lynsey, I had a rattle in the tailgate/seatbelt area, and it was in for a service yesterday and the dealer knew what it was and has fixed it for me. Nice. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> And the one on the dash may be the cupholder. Next time try ppushing up the cupholder instead of the tray under the dash. If the rattle stops it's the sticky foam!!!

Im pleased to say i have no rattles or squeeks that i can hear so far.But i do get that sound behind the dash board that sounds like trickling water when i turn the engine off.My last Lupo did'nt do it,but my MK4 Polo did ???

Lynsey (and anyone else)

I was messing around with my boot lid (it isn't square) and the squeak came back. I fiddled some more and I think I've worked out the tailgate squeak.

Lift the boot and look at the hydraulic lifter. You'll find that you can twist it about 30 degrees from side to side. Twist it the opposite way to which it's sat now and try that. If it still squeaks move it a bit. I think what happens is that it twists away from it's ideal position, and when the boot is closed and it's compressed it catches on the mounting brackets. As I remember twist it towards the centre of the car.

I'll give that a go then and hope it works smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> (when its stopped raining that is....) sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Managed to stop the rattle under the `cup-holder` area with some flat pieces of rubber pushed in the gap and its stopped the annoying rattle (for now anyway!) :sarc:

I have had a rattle on coming from the dash just underneath the radio in both lupos i have had but it is not too bad. On my last lupo there was an awful rattle from the tailgate and VW replaced the lock under warranty. Just found a rattle on the gear knob of my gti so thats going back tommorrow, i think its just a bit loose.

John

mine does when im at a certain rpm in 1st gear