Broken Light

Hi

I have just returned home to find that one of the front inside lights has been cracked on my GTi. must have been a stone or something.

Phoned the local garage to be quoted £210 + vat + fitting :0

Is there anywhere else you could get one of these or is my poor lupo going to have to go round with a sore eye mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Thanks

Mike

try some of the breakers listed in PVW mike - i'm sure one of them will be able to help - failing that do what the ADAC cars do - and take the light out to put a monster air intake in for an induction filter - ram charging - i like it! (similar to ram systems on motorbikes i guess??) 8) wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Thanks for the advice, the induction kit sounds good but got it sorted.

My wife stood and argued with the parts man that the inside light was a halogen and not a Xenon as he insisted

He eventually tried to prove it to her by looking up the parts on the computer to find out he was wrong. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p

So the inside light is only £36 + vat. (Hope I never break a main one)

I haven't got a quote for fitting it but it looks like the front bumper/grill has to be removed.

Has anybody done this and is it easy or would I be better getting them to do it. I am not sure how you get round the headlamp washers.

Mike

:0 Shit I hope I never crack a Xenon! Why is it that much, do they have to replace the whole unit??

And I can't imagine its an easy job, I think you do have to get the front bumper off - how much are VW charging to fit? If its not that much you might be better off getting them to do it...

36 quid's a bit more liveable with mate - i'd get them to fit it personally - coz i too reckon the front bumper has to come off - see how much it is first.

BTW can you believe what little knowledge vw people have about their own bloody models - it's disgusting, how these monkeys get jobs defies belief - bet he felt a right dick when you proved him wrong! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

especially when it was my wife (blonde) that proved him wrong
biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> there's hope for AlanVW yet haha smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Think I read somewhere the Xenon bulbs were about £150 each, imagine if a stone went through the lense and cracked the bulb too. £50 for protectors might be well spent, look a bit naff though ???

Pretty sure the lens of the Xenons are plastic already so they should be pretty tough. (Watch mine get smashed now!!!)

i think you will find they are glass matey.

i've got the naff protectors but they only work on the big ones and dont allow the bonnet to shut 100% perfect.

i only use them when they grit the roads.

VW garages generally know nothing about the lupo gti, some dont even know they do one!

TL Derby had only seen 2 mine and one that arrived to be sold second hand the day before!

They didn't even know the wings were ally not steel till they took mine off to replace it. good job i didn't damage the bonnet otherwise they migh have ordered a steel one rather than an alloy one.

Don't see why not, someone on here was even getting a carbon fibre one made; they probably still have the mould if someone wanted another one.

Hi,

the Xenons have plastic lenses.

If you break a mounting bracket for the lights, you can order a repair kit; but if you break the housing, well, then it's expensive! A bulb should be less than 150 £, as it is 150€ here.

Who did a carbon bonnet???? Me wants to know! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Every aluminium part of the GTi or 3L fit a normal Lupo, except the front fenders, they need a bit of work.

Ummmmm!

I might have to enqure about the GTi alloy bonnet biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

What about the tailgate? Is that alloy on the GTi? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(alexfernihough)
VW garages generally know nothing about the lupo gti,

They didn't even know the wings were ally not steel till they took mine off to replace it.

The salesman who sold me mine had been driving round in one for months. When we went on the test drive he didn't know it was variable valve.

When I went back to point out that the spec says locking wheel nuts and mine didn't have them he looked through the spec and said "Oooh aluminium doors"

I said yeah and bonnet and front wings

"Oh yeah"

QUOTE(Slyclone)
Ummmmm!

I might have to enqure about the GTi alloy bonnet  :D  

What about the tailgate? Is that alloy on the GTi? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Nope, pure steel for better wheight distribution (like they moved the battery to the rear). Which means that the GTi spoiler fits on normal Lupos smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You're not gone to believe this guys.

Just got the new light fitted to Lupo. Got the local VW garage to fit it.

Guess what they charged me for labour

£11+vat yes thats eleven pounds :0 - Nearly fell of my seat - was expecting about £60

Still love the way this car winds people up.

Was cruising home at about the ton. Passed a Golf GTTDi big wheels etc. and he just had to pass me and then slow down in front of me again :sigh:

Good to hear you got it sorted for so cheap, I have replaced all the lights on my Gti, its not fun taking the bumper off .. i get so paranoid that im going to chip the paint or scratch it ...

as for the headlights , the lens is glass, and the cover is plastic ... the lens part looks like a magnifying glass .. and the cover protects it from UFO's smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i got spares , shall i post some pics of the headlight so you can c what is inside ? (not much) ??? tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />