gearstick jolt

sounds like there is something wrong with your linkage. mine is solid as a rock. they will love you. if they have to take the box apart.

i noticed that when you depress the clutch and select a gear the seletor seems sprung as it seems to pull its self into the gears.

get them to check it out

my lupo sport dose this when you lift off - from the day i brought it over 3 years ago, never thought much about it - the gearbox feels fine - always thought it was torque doing it. the car is months out of its warranty so it will have to carry on doing it. would be interested to see what the VW dealer say thou.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Hugh,

My 99 SDI does it too - ever since I bought it, when I'm in fourth gear, if I have my hand on the gearstick, come off the accelerator for a few seconds then tap the pedal again the stick jolts back towards neutral. It also did this on a Polo TDI I had as a courtesy car. When I reported it to my local VW dealer they said it wasn't a problem. Don't know what it is, but I've done 4 years and 60k miles and it's not fallen apart yet. My mum was driving her Saab 900 a while back and the same was happening with her gearstick, then she went to put the car into reverse and the stick fell off in her hand!

Brian