"Smaller than Fox" model coming...

dxg

thats great news.

ok for sure it will take 20 seconds to get to 60 and have tiny engines. but still could be used as a nice base and then get it custom tuned.

hope they give it a manual gearbox.

if there is any luck they might put in that 1.4 turbo non supergharged engine they made recently. miracles may happen.

Edited by qually

You gotta link to this chinese thing. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Anyway, sounds good, when do you think we will see any results of his statement, next year?(concept car I mean)

• 2 months later...

50327_450.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

^^^

The critics seem to like it. Saying positive things about it's "flow," but I'm no designer...

Also - tread with caution - note the four bolt hubs no longer present anywhere on the VW range.

Also worth noting is the fact that VW are supposed to be working on a microcar to combate Toyota's "smaller than Aygo" thingies shown last week. It's not clear if this is the Lupo II or something even smaller. Some people are saying that it (the microcar, not Lupo II, if they turn out to be different things) will be rear engined, rear wheel drive...

Deek.

This is the Toyota microcar:

endo_toyota.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Looks smaller than the Lupo II to me, suggesting that VW's microcar may be smaller than the Lupo still. Not that difficult if you drop the rear seats and go rear-engined. Like a Smart, but smaller... Only problem with this is the fact that VAG would have to develop a new engine as I'm not aware of anything small enough in their range to use. The only possible partner would be Mitisubhi(sp?), but they're selling their 600cc engine to Smart and have no historical links with VW. If VW want this microcar they will have to really want it given the expense of such a development...

Edited by dxg

However I think Piech himself has said:

"new small car - must seat 4 people and luggage and give excellent economy, for a good price" or words to that effect, so I doubt VW will build anything smaller than an Aygo, as I just don't see 4 people fitting in it!

• 3 weeks later...

dsc06722dz2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The above is supposed to be "Gol NF = Fox, Gol, Indian, Chinese and Russian Entry Car" which is said to be something different to "an all new small car,which happens to be a 2 door,rear engined machine.this new car is due to arrive as late as 2011 as it's still in its initial devlopment stages.this model will primarily be for the european markets.in addition,it will have small engines,like a single cylinder unit."

Sources? I have my sources...

So it definately sounds as if there's a front and a rear engined smaller than Lupo car coming... I wonder which we'll get to see in the UK? This gets curiouser and curiouser...

Edited by dxg

This article suggests the rear engined version will be 1.3l turbo coming to Europe and the US (so will the Polo still be heading over there as long-promised?)

http://www.leftlanenews.com/more-on-volksw...ne-revival.html

The link came from this interesting thread at the vortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3249311

I very publically wet my pants (and continue to do so) over the Concept-R. So if this does prove to provide the platform for such a variant, then that is the one thing I would consider selling the GTi to get...

Edited by dxg

Would it be wild speculation to wonder if VW may combine some of the ideas of the (alsow wonderful) Ecoracer concept (diesel and rear wheel drive) into this possible return of concept R. It would be great but maybe blue-sky thinking...

Ecoracer content: http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vol...icle_1581.shtml

Deek.

Edited by dxg

The Fox is up for renewal in 2010 maybe the rear engine will be in the new fox as a diesel and a front engined tiny car (wouldn't it be good if it was a three seater two in the front and one behind in the middle) waiting to see as i will change my car in 2010 (give or take a few months)

• 2 months later...

VW said this yesterday:

PRESS RELEASE

Volkswagen at the IAA 2007: Marketing campaign with eight world premieres

* SUV: World premiere of an agile Tiguan

* Prototype: World premiere of a slick City Expert

* BlueMotion: Six new models at a stroke

Wolfsburg, 01 August 2007 – Volkswagen will present its widest product range of all time at the International Automobile Exhibition (IAA) in Frankfurt (13th to 23rd September). Europe's no. 1 will be presenting over fifty models on view in Hall 3.0 – eight of them world premieres. One of the highlights: the Tiguan – an entirely new generation of SUV developed to complement the Touareg. And if all that's not enough: Volkswagen will respond to the official motto of this year's IAA – "see what's driving tomorrow" – with a prototype. The heart of this sensationally flexible City Expert will beat where the flat-four "Boxer" engine once did in the Beetle. When the gates open at the IAA, six new BlueMotion models will also make their debut. From 2008 onward Volkswagen will offer nine vehicles under the BlueMotion label.

Volkswagen will welcome visitors to the IAA in an exposition area of 9,000 square metres. The centrepiece of that will be the Tiguan. It is the world's first production model exclusively equipped with supercharged engines. It offers two particular advantages: lower fuel consumption and still fun to drive. Also new: the remarkably quiet four-cylinder diesel engine with common-rail injection. The two new TDIs produce 103 kW/140 PS and 125 kW/170 PS respectively. Both engines already conform to the Euro 5 exhaust standards that will be introduced in 2009. You will be able to "see what's driving tomorrow" here and now.

Moreover, Volkswagen will unveil six new BlueMotion models at the same time. Therefore, in the course of 2008, there will be at least nine BlueMotion models available. The Volkswagen BlueMotion environmental label will certainly become a byword for effective environmental protection. The versions already available – the Polo BlueMotion (3.8 litres of Diesel consumed per 100 km and 99 g/km CO2) and Passat BlueMotion (5.1 litres of Diesel consumed per 100 km and 136 g/km CO2) – have already redefined the standards of economy in their respective classes.

The Volkswagen press conference will be held on 11th September at 11.00 a.m. in Hall 3.0, on the Volkswagen stand. Dr. Martin Winterkorn will present the new Tiguan there, as well as the prototype of a future compact model

This will be *very* interesting... Let's just hope it's not yet another stunning concept that never makes it into production (Concept-R anyone?), but from the sounds of things this seems to be happening...

Deek

Some more info...

Whilst the City Expert will now have a water-cooled engine as opposed to air, it is closer in concept to the original Beetle than the modern namesake could ever hope to be.

The Bug was the car that put VW on the map and now the plan is to produce an ultra-cheap car for sales around the globe. Renault already sells the Dacia Logan, built from previous-generation Clio parts and with a starting price of just €6400 (about £4300). Indian manufacturer Tata is also planning a ‘one-lakh’ car to sell in its domestic market for around £1400.

VW’s car will cost around £3500 in developing markets, whilst Europe's version will cost around £5000. The City Expert is claimed to be ‘sensationally flexible’ because it will be available in three different bodystyles for varying markets. We’ll have a three-door hatch, India a five-door, and China will get a four-door saloon.

Although the engine is in the back, and steeply angled for more boot room, the battery, air-con unit and radiator are in the nose: both ends have a luggage compartment. Power steering isn’t expected to be available – it’s not needed due to the lack of weight over the front wheels – but ESP should be standard in Europe. Such simplicity should cut the build time of the car to an industry-leading 12 hours.

Engines will vary depending on the market but Europe should get a mix of two and three-cylinder models, whilst a one-cylinder car is under consideration for developing markets. A twin-cylinder car should instantly be £650 cheaper for VW to make, sources claim.

Supplier Bosch reckons that sub-£4900 cars will account for 13 percent of the global car market by 2010 – around 10 million cars per year.

Source

Very interesting stuff. I have been reading about the 'Blue Motion' models. VW are claiming that the Polo will be able to do over 70 miles to the gallon. A very impressive figure, but the Fox 1.4 i've got averages around 50 anyway!

100 miles to the gallon would be good if not sat astride a hair dryer!

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Trouble is, the Polo Bluemotion isn't exactly cheap:

Polo BlueMotion pricing

Model

Economy (combined)

CO2

On the road RRP

Polo BlueMotion 1 3dr

74.3 mpg

99 g/km

£11,995

Polo BlueMotion 1 5dr

74.3 mpg

99 g/km

£12,595

Polo BlueMotion 2 3dr

70.6 mpg

104 g/km

£12,845

Polo BlueMotion 2 5dr

70.6 mpg

104 g/km

£13,445

• 2 weeks later...

I think I just threw up a little...

69555700sm7.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

FWIW, this chop is getting badly slated on the net. No one believes it could look that bad.