GTI Faults

drummachine

got number three. I have been told that this is water comming through the spoiler. You will soon find bubbles under the spoiler were water has dripper through.

I have a few niggly faults with my GTI currently. Some of them are known faults but i thought i would post them up and people could let me know if they have aver experienced anything similar as if so how to go about fixing it and at how much.

1. Starter motor is very noisy on start up when cold - winds itself on for a couple of seconds

2. Drivers window sometimes wont go back up unless you do it in stages

3. High level rear brake light doesnt work

4. The blower motor is very noisy and rattles when cold

5. A very annoying knocking noise is coming from the n/s/r boot area but i cant find out where from

Think thats about it - comments appreciated!

Chris smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I found that the knocking in the boot area was the rear head rest. Give it a push and see if it moves

I have a few niggly faults with my GTI currently. Some of them are known faults but i thought i would post them up and people could let me know if they have aver experienced anything similar as if so how to go about fixing it and at how much.

1. Starter motor is very noisy on start up when cold - winds itself on for a couple of seconds

5. A very annoying knocking noise is coming from the n/s/r boot area but i cant find out where from

Chris smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I have number two its good fun when it's raining lol. My rear wiper was leaking and shorted my boot switch which made my alarm go off every 2hrs all night. I got a friend to bore out the wiper motor, re-tubed it and put it on and no problem since touchwood. I think that these things give my car character biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ..... funny though seem to be lots of common problems. wee annoying ones though mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...

i ave found my doors creak when it's cold i've put this down to the alluminium shrinking more than the steel on rest of the car but i get most of the problems occasionaly also stood under it when it was on the ramps the other day the fuel pump is really loud and i prety sure that's not right

3 and 5 for me. I've learned to live with 5. Wonder if it's something to do with the catch?

I've got/had a few of these.

My highline brake light hasn't worked since 25k miles (nearly on 50K now)- had a quote from VW the last couple services which I laughed at and have done without - though my MOT guy brings it up everytime saying it *could* fail the MOT, though he never does smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My rear squiter also broke for around 20k miles and VW quoted something silly at the 30k service which I laughed at then at the 40K service found that it was something that didn't involve what they suggested at the 30k service and fixed it.. I squirt happily now.

Now as for the windows.. they give me most joy at multistories when they do that thing where they trick you, pretend they're going all the way up, but go up then back down lol. It amuses me. There's a certain way of flicking the switch it seems.. doesn't bother me all that much.

All the other knocks, noises and squeaks I'm immune to after working on a busy ward.. I don't hear things like that anymore, so sure it probably does but only my passengers comment smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The key fob thing - very temprement (sp?), has been since I bought it, but again it's not too much of an issue apart from when it decides not to work when I've just straightened my hair and it's raining..! VW quoted me and it was over £100 so I opted against it.

Other than that the only new thing I have to add is a leaky washer jets bottle which I've left.. it leaves a nice little damp patch where ever it's been parked for a while, but doesn't leak enough to warrant me replacing it really..!

As everyone else has said - I love the car biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> and all of the above adds character wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I have the rear near side clunk noise when i go over a bump. Almost sounds like the spring goes under pressure and reseats itself. Took it to VW a year ago when it was under warranty and they said they couldn't see anything but it still does it and would love to know what it is.

My doors also make funny noises when i go over uneven surfaces such as up a drive or over a speed bump. The doors seem to move when the chassis flexes and the noise is the door moving on the rubber seals

mine sometimes sounds like a desiel when i start it up and there is a creaking near the boot and i dont know when it is creaking. any ideas?

mine sometimes sounds like a desiel when i start it up and there is a creaking near the boot and i dont know when it is creaking. any ideas?

mine also sounds like a DIEsel when you start it up, think they probably all do

how do i fix my brake light spoiler confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Edited by gti-dan

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...06&hl=light

Just to say, the bottom three images on that how-to aren't mine - i think someone's edited some posts together. I just wound up buying a whole new unit, but I recall that someone else had success with this soldering appraoch. FWIW, the replacement is also full of condensation a few months later as I didn't manage the seal the spolier properly when putting it back on (the gasket got damaged taking if off), so I fully expect to have to do this again in another 30k miles.

Edited by dxg

Im on my third rear spoiler brake light and my fourth bonnet cable/handle...not paid a penny for any of them!

My passenger door has always rattled over really big bumps and has marked the paint inside the door shut. Measured up and its perfectly aligned so all I can think of is the door is on top tolerance for manufacturing size or the door aperture is on bottom tolerance. Before anyone suggests it my door hinge pins are spot on, no play in them or the catch striker plate.

My high level brake light has condensation, but still works. Fixed under warrenty, but back the way it was the next morning sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> .

In another water-related problem when I open my boot and the car is wet, the top of my seats and the plastics round them get wet. Not a big problem, but wiping marks off the plastic every time i clean the car is annoying.

Snapped the bonnet release handle, dealer has ordered bit for me and will sort it under warrenty. A month ago, and I have just realised that I haven't got it sorted biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> !

Otherwise, my car is trouble free (so far ph34r.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> )

just payed 560 for the service

I'm sorry, how much? What did you have done?

Edited by RS2quattro

• 2 weeks later...

update on my problems, the lights keep goin out around my centre console, if i put it up to 2 the lights go off, if i flick it around for a few seconds the lights cum back on, any1 had this problem?

update on my problems, the lights keep goin out around my centre console, if i put it up to 2 the lights go off, if i flick it around for a few seconds the lights cum back on, any1 had this problem?

Change the bulb, the element has prob snapped and catches every now and then.