GTI Faults

drummachine

I have a few niggly faults with my GTI currently. Some of them are known faults but i thought i would post them up and people could let me know if they have aver experienced anything similar as if so how to go about fixing it and at how much.

1. Starter motor is very noisy on start up when cold - winds itself on for a couple of seconds

2. Drivers window sometimes wont go back up unless you do it in stages

3. High level rear brake light doesnt work

4. The blower motor is very noisy and rattles when cold

5. A very annoying knocking noise is coming from the n/s/r boot area but i cant find out where from

Think thats about it - comments appreciated!

Chris smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

5. A very annoying knocking noise is coming from the n/s/r boot area but i cant find out where from

Snap.

I too have most on list. Starter motor is worth doing as they do sound crap, knocking in boot I tracked down to wiring that runs up tailgate so rammed it full of padding. High level brake light is common but easy fix but I now have bubbling paint on my spoiler from water ingress, I'm presuming this will continue to get worse. Other than that... rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Hi bud,

1. Starter motor is very noisy on start up when cold - winds itself on for a couple of seconds

I have the same problems. With the starter motor, turn it to the first stage then wait 2 seconds & turn it all the way. Mine has been like that since I bought it.

Driverside window, tried a few different thing to no avail & then decided it give the car a bit of a personality & gave up.

Regards

Angelo

I too have most of the problems listed. My starter moster has allways been noisy and the drivers window often stops half way up and then goes down by its self!! Neither bother me enough for me to get it checked out though.

I have another problem my brake lights don't always work (all three) it's been into VW 3 times under warranty, every time they tell me the washer fluid has leaked into the wiring and shorted the electrics - is this a common fault?

Yup, my starter motor is on its way out too. Going to leave it until its *really* bad though as they're not the cheapest.

My high level brake light hasn't worked for about the last 2 years. I have a new one, I just haven't got around to fitting it yet. Not going to let VW butcher it though.

I have creaky n/s/r suspension... its not a knocking noise and only makes the noise when I've got a passenger in the back and I'm driving round a corner/bend.

I'd say they're bullsh*tting you about the brake lights tbh - I'm on my 5th brake light switch in 3 years - they're notoriously poorly made. Martin got me my last one and all the previous ones were under warranty. I had 3 in 4 weeks a couple of years ago...

My drivers side window played up a couple of years ago - got the motor changed under warranty. Been fine ever since (*touch wood*).

My rear washer jet doesn't work either at the moment - I'm going to have a play at the weekend though as I suspect its just a disconnected pipe rather than anything major.

My loop is in for service today (60k / 6 year service) and they've phoned to say they think my power steering pump might be leaking - they've cleaned it up and I'm going to take her back in a couple of weeks to see if it is leaking or not.

The problems i have is starter motor a little bit noisy drivers window sticks abit and sumtimes my breaklights dont work confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> which really scares me wen drivin.

Hi,

yep.... I have a few of these problems with my gti also.

Starter motor keeps winding after startup.....weather its cold or not!

Drivers window also mind of its own...but only sometimes!? wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

but have also had random problems with the central locking...it would unlock but not lock...? I had this problem with both my remote keys.......be interested to hear if anyon else has had this trouble?

Other than that......I love my car! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I too have most of the problems listed. My starter moster has allways been noisy and the drivers window often stops half way up and then goes down by its self!! Neither bother me enough for me to get it checked out though.

I have another problem my brake lights don't always work (all three) it's been into VW 3 times under warranty, every time they tell me the washer fluid has leaked into the wiring and shorted the electrics - is this a common fault?

wiring in the tailgate is a known problem on golfs due to the washer pipe falling off and spraying the inside of the tailgate,

the fix is o put it back on then tie wrap it to the jet so to speak so as it cannot come off with the pressure of the water,hope this helps. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Hi,

yep.... I have a few of these problems with my gti also.

Starter motor keeps winding after startup.....weather its cold or not!

Drivers window also mind of its own...but only sometimes!? wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

but have also had random problems with the central locking...it would unlock but not lock...? I had this problem with both my remote keys.......be interested to hear if anyon else has had this trouble?

Other than that......I love my car! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

i had a stuck window once, after disconnecting the battery it fixed it.

i have also had random failure of the remote central locking, but i havent ruled out the fob battery.

my rear spoiler brake light was filled with water but i let it dry out and sealed it with silicone.

i think i get starter motors noise.

i think we have identified faults that could well be called normal characterisitics of the lupo gti. annoying as they are.

would be interested to hear of any others.

i have heard of the bonnet release pull breaking and i have been gentle with mine.

has their been timing tenioner failures in the lupo gti or has it just been the polo gti?

Just seen this thread. I don't drive a GTi sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but i share some of the problems.

Ditto with the starter motor - sometimes it is fine but sometimes it keeps going and makes this god awful metalic crunch sound thing (technical or what!)

Rear washer doesn't work - like Niki I'm hoping something has just come loose and not a split in a tube or anything serious.

Drivers side window is not working at all - the passenger window works after a little bit of swearing at and telling it I will crush the car unless it starts to work.

Just noticed from the log that it hasn't had a 60k service (not my fault I bought the car on 67k) and it's just ticked to 70k. I'm going to put it in for it's MOT in march and have a service and everything fixed at the same time - better start saving!

ninja.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ninja:" border="0" alt="ninja.gif" /> (always wanted to use the ninja and never have so I'm doing it now)

I have a few niggly faults with my GTI currently. Some of them are known faults but i thought i would post them up and people could let me know if they have aver experienced anything similar as if so how to go about fixing it and at how much.

3. High level rear brake light doesnt work

4. The blower motor is very noisy and rattles when cold

Chris smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i had number 1, 2 and 3 fixed under warranty... the high level break light i had changed twice, the second time they give me a new spoiler! i also been experiencing squeeking noises whilst goin over bumps, thought it was my coilovers but then realised it was my exhaust!

Seems to depend on the dealership and the cause of the high level brake light failing as VW Used Warranty refused to change my high level brake light under warranty - which is why its still not been fixed. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I've had my top level brake light replaced under warranty and my windows wont go down automatically. have to press and hold.

I also get alot of condensation in my headlights but the place where i bought it from keep puttin them under heaters to dry it out and its not having an effect on them.

It also sometimes has trouble getting in reverse.

Edited by lupolu

My drivers side window has now fixed itself. I knew it would, only been doing it for a couple of weeks.

Have you 'taught' you windows lupolu? You need to put them up and down a few times holding the button in and they should re-learn how to do it.

i had a stuck window once, after disconnecting the battery it fixed it.

i have also had random failure of the remote central locking, but i havent ruled out the fob battery.

my rear spoiler brake light was filled with water but i let it dry out and sealed it with silicone.

i think i get starter motors noise.

i think we have identified faults that could well be called normal characterisitics of the lupo gti. annoying as they are.

would be interested to hear of any others.

i have heard of the bonnet release pull breaking and i have been gentle with mine.

has their been timing tensioner failures in the lupo gti or has it just been the polo gti?

I think I have a clone of your car.

My central locking every now and then decides to just not work (will not open the car) so I use my key.... and then 2 seconds later use the key fob and every thing works as normal.

My bonnet release pull has gone twice since owning the car.

And the timing tensioner went - was covered on the warranty thankfully though.

And the coating on the wheels has started to crack quite badly.

And despite all these problems I still love the car!!!

J

My drivers side window has now fixed itself. I knew it would, only been doing it for a couple of weeks.

Have you 'taught' you windows lupolu? You need to put them up and down a few times holding the button in and they should re-learn how to do it.

no i havent, thanks for that! i was considering buyin new switches for it.

cheers!