rear disc conversion

one litre wonder ;)

right i have managed to get a GTi rear beam , right i am assuming the brake fluid pressure regulators and master cyclinders between GTi disk and drum are the same ? can somebody please check and let me know

Craig

right the brake master cylinder is the same , the brake pressure regulator is the same , the rear beam is the same , basically seems to only differ when it gets to the stub axel point . so i am thinking , will it be cheaper to replace a rear beam and bleed the brake system and change over the handbrake cable OR leave the current rear beam on and strip if down and rebuild it

I think thats where Al got to aswell.

As far as I can remember, there is just a plate that you attach to which you bolt the caliper.

a GTI rear beam also has an anti-roll bar built in to it, which can only help things!

i looked on etka for the pressure regulator, but it doesn't highlight one as being fitted to my lupo!!!

as for the handbrake, you'll definitely need to replace the cables, as they are longer on a lupo wiht rear discs

you will need 2 of 6x0 609 721 e which retail at £6.85 inc vat per side

cheer martin , on the subject of the persure regulator , the part number for the one fitted to my car is 6X0 612 151 and i took that to VW in jordan hill and they said that it was the same part across the range of lupos and i told him that part number was from my arosa and hes like , yeah there all the same biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

score! about the anti-roll bar

Parts needed - Providing you've got the full rear beam, all that you will need is the flexi hoses from the calipers to the supply pipes - You SHOULD get these with it...

but the main "copper" sections of the brake pipes are the same between the drums and the disc models.

The only thing that worried me about it was that drums take a different brake fluid presure towards calipers... not sure how this would affect things, but i rekon it may be best to consult arosa (once a week) PD, just to make sure things are gona run smoothly...

Also where did you find this GTI rear beam sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i have my sources al tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

right anyway , about the fluid pressures , i dont know how it works that way cause the pressure regulators are the same

i know ArosaPD has done the conversion already on his TDi arosa but hes not been online in about a week

Yes i messaged him a few times about this, he fitted the whole rear beam only extra part he got was new handbrake cables was a straight swap but they seem surprisingly rare

i dont trust myself bleeding brakes

youve got to bleed them whichever way you do it get on with it laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Also where did you find this GTI rear beam sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

i know iv been searching since i had my arosa for a gti or petrol sport rear beam and am yet to find one sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> and iv just figured it out its off 'waynevr6' isnt it? was looking at that thread the other night and thinking "what do i need off a gti"? but couldnt think of it might beat you to getting it laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> the one i got was sheer luck that i clocked it laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

@ wayne - yeah there is a way I dont have to bleed the brakes .....

.... get it done by a garage

bleeding brakes is easy, youd pay over the odds for a garage to do **** all really unless you have a good friend for a mechanic! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i have my sources al tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

right anyway , about the fluid pressures , i dont know how it works that way cause the pressure regulators are the same

The lad in preston who's braking a GTI at the moment has already sold his entire rear beam sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

it does ?

exactly the only parts in the system that are different are the stub axles and then from there to the discs and calipers rather than a drum , all models use the same master cylinder and pressure regulator

OLW did you get my PM okay? Everything on the beam is a straight swap with the exception of the two handbrake cables, these were the only additional things that I had to buy (£6 each). Bleeding the brakes is a piece of cake especially if you use a pressure bleeder. I too had made sure that brake components were compatible when I changed my beam over and to give me piece of mind I put the car on the brake rollers at my mates MOT bay to make sure brake performance was as it should be for both foot and hand brake. It was perfik!!! rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Mark

The lad in preston who's braking a GTI at the moment has already sold his entire rear beam sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

And who PM'd him just after he'd posted up he was breaking it?

Who said he may bump in to bossjohnc in Preston?

I'll give you three guesses. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

And who PM'd him just after he'd posted up he was breaking it?

I'll give you three guesses. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Joan of Arc?

Donald Rumsfeld?

One liter Wonder?

Who said he may bump in to bossjohnc in Preston?

We bumped into bossman when we went to collect some bits. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by nfbr

I'm just assuming that that's what OLW got.

I'll be making the trip to Preston myself next week, wonder who i'll bump in to. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I'm just assuming that that's what OLW got.

I'll be making the trip to Preston myself next week, wonder who i'll bump in to. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Nice one! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> What you pickin up ?

Joan of Arc?

Donald Rumsfeld?

One liter Wonder?

We bumped into bossman when we went to collect some bits. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> the only time my name will be next to the two of them , and yes its me thats got it all tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />