Insurance

2001gti

Hi there - not sure if you've done this but it helped me out when I was starting down the no-claims route. Admiral, Elephant and a few other companies do a scheme where you get one years no claims in 10 months.

Plus points to this are that in 50 months (4 years 2 months) you will have 5 years no claims saving yourself almost a year (10 months).

The downside is that you have to buy insurance every 10 months rather than the 12 but as you will have one years no claims after the 10 months your premium should drop as well.

Other things to consider are to not do loads of miles, what job you do (NEVER NEVER say you work in the media - trust me on this). Something else I found was if you put a partner on as a named driver it will generally lower your premium as it classifies you as a stable and sensible person. I've got my girlfiend on my Lupo GTI and that saved me quite a bit of cash. A mate of mine even put his mum as a named driver to help reduce his.

The other big scam I've found is that when you get your renewal as well as the obvious shopping around go back to the company you are with and input your details all over again (you may have to say you have a second car you want to insure - on some web sites), and see what comes up. I've done this recently on my girlfriends car after the renewal price was £400 for 10 months from Admiral - I put it all in and got a quote for £252 for 12 months. the same thing happened with my car, I was able to save a further £95.

Remember the S%^T's want you to get lazy!!

Anyway hope that helps.

Edited by Eternal T-Boy

Bonus accelerators are all well and good but...youve got to make sure that it IS actually a better deal.

I did my first driving on a six month bonus accelerator. And i realised that you have to be very carefull when taking out successive insurance policies with other companies.

The questions you have to answer could render your previous bonus accelerator useless, a total waste of money and time.

Lots of insurance companies will NOT take a bonus accelerator as 1 years NCB. It is a tactic to try and keep you with the company you took it out with. So they can charge you £££ come renewal (knowing it's not really worth the paper it's written on).

Common questions are

1) How many years have you held a full driving licence ?

2) How many no claims do you have ?

Can you see how this will immediately show contradiction if you have had one of these bonus accelerator schemes ? This makes 'over the phone' quotes difficult. The companies that said "bonus accelerator is fine" over the phone, wanted an extortionate amount of money to insure me.

The only way i found to get around this, was to buy insurance online.

At the time, Tesco was giving me unbeatable (unbelievabley good) quotes online...Also their online system diddn't turn me away because i had more NCB than years holding a licence.

So just bare that in mind wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Ah insurance, the only good thing about getting old. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Lupo GTI me and the wife full ncb, fully comp £240, £200 excess. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

O and I have 9 points.

Ah insurance, the only good thing about getting old. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Lupo GTI me and the wife full ncb, fully comp £240, £200 excess. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

O and I have 9 points.

Mate in 3 years time, ill be feeling the same joy LOL

I'm 21 with 3yrs NCB and mine was £760 with Adrian Flux with all mods declared and added free of charge and a £450 excess. However i added breakdown cover which took it up a bit smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by db

Yep, the 10 month policies aren't really worth it in my opinion. I had two years NCB on 10 month policies, but other companies would only honour them as 1 years worth. It's just to get you to stick with that company.