TDi cutting-out at high RPM

Anyone else had any running problems with their TDi's?? I was running into work last night when the car seemed to be hesitating slightly, then she proceeded to cut-out. After about 1 minute of turning the engine over she would tickover fine and rev fine for a couple of seconds then would cut-out. This happens repeatedly. I must admit my first thoughts were 'dirty diesel', but this seems more and more unlikely now. I have nevertheless changed the fuel filter and this problem still persists. My second thought was the MAF sensor.......anyone with any help or advice, I would be very gratefully. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Cheers

Mark smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by ArosaPD

Had this last January during the winter & never worked out what the problem was, the car had a new MAF fitted & boost sensor & neither cured it. In the end I put it down to diesel freeze in the cold conditions as it was cured as soon as the weather got better.

Thanks for your responses Andi and Max. I had considered the boost sensor, but TBH wasn't exactly sure of sypmtoms of MAF failure, other than the car's poor running/performance (i.e. I didn't know if my symptoms were common to a MAF failure??). Max, if you don't mind me asking, how much were both items?? I don't know why, but I keep getting this niggling feeling about fuel starvation. Have we had any problems with diesel pumps....I don't recall any?? The weather was a little cold last night, but it's warmer today and the problem hasn't gone away, so waxing doesn't seem lightly. I'm letting her idle outside for a while, cos I'm starting to kill the battery. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Mark

Edited by ArosaPD

Thanks guys, today I am the bearer of good news. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> My initial gut feeling about s*itty diesel from Asda was well founded!! Today I removed the sender unit from the tank and completely siphoned the tank dry and cleaned the sender unit. If I'd put the diesel into a pint glass that I removed from the tank you would not have been able to see through it, it was black. angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> I put 20 litres of BP Ultimate diesel from my Jerry can into the car and 'hey presto' all was well. She'e a great little mover and is running as sweet as a nut again. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Mark

Ive heard loads of people having problems with asda fuel, supermarket fuel should be avoided at all costs imo.

Glad you got it sorted though, and that it wasnt anything serious that i had to watch for in the future for my TDI smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

Ive heard loads of people having problems with asda fuel

Cheers Chris, I think a valuable lesson has been learnt. I am awaiting a call back from the manager at the Asda store near Wheatley, Oxford which is where I filled my car up with diesel. I recall some time ago that the store had a reputation for water in their petrol, but they have re-done their whole forecourt so therefore thought that their poor quality fuel problem was sorted.......NOT!! angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Mark smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />