Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

nope in front of the pulley would prolly be easier

gonna be harder to fit it in behind

ill find a pic of it

CrankTrig4.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

CrankTrig5.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

apparently Bill does the 36-1 toothed pulley, but i doubt it will fit on the lupo engine but im sure you would be able to have a new boss machined to fit it

Edited by Blackrat

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Really?

Oh that'll be easy then.

crap thats great news

I thought it had to be inside the engine.

Thanks mate, it somehow seems doable now. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Im not a member of Votex, still waiting confermation email from them.

I dont understand?

Looks like a good thread though smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Cool. Glad you're getting it sorted. Obviously the MegaSquirt thing is fixed unlike the stuff I've used. That doesn't look too hard to fit.

u will prob have yours running before me tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol nar, Ive got to learn al this stuff yet.

I think I know the basics, but then I come accross something like this and realise how little I know.

Wish I could afford a mechanic. lol

Right spoke to Bill about the Trigger wheel.

he does a 36-1 wheel for £45 and the boss to fit a 1.8 16v VW pully for £55.

Now he doesn't know if the boss will fit my pully, so I need to measure the cup area and the bolt holes and get back to him.

Looking good though smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Some more good news is that the parts were sent out yesterday so they should arrive with you today Clifford.

Next job I think is to get the engine ripped out so I can get started on the throttle linkage.

This shouldn't bee too difficult I hope, as Id imagen the hole for the cable should already be in the bulk head.

Gonna see if Mitch removed his or not, and still has the linkages.

Would make life easier if I can get my hands on a VW part instead of trying to build from scratch.

Think Im not going to fit the engine untill all the parts are on the engine, I didnt realise how work work was needed, and Iguess its gonna be alot easier working on the thing out the car.

feeling better again today smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As tough as it sounds, modern cars are designed to be worked on so you'll probably find that once you've got well into it, things will seem easier than you fear. I looked at the engine removal instructions on ELSA a while back and once you've drained all the fluids it seems to be simply a case of just unbolting the mounts and craining it out. I take it you have the instructions btw? If you don't, I'll post them up later for you as I'll have access to the system then.

Just think.....anything is gonna seem piss easy after you've done this. You'll be ripping out the interior, changing suspension and making your own exhaust in no time tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Susspention is sorted, interior is next.

brakes are still on the list although I have all the parts bar one wheel hub.

The engine does look pretty straight forward, but yes the ELSA instructions would be great, after the house move Ive mislayed my copy, and ater formatting the drive its really buggered me!

Your right though, if I pull this off (and it works!) I dont think anything will phase me.. ok thats a lie, but we can all dream! haha

Here you go: http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28J91PT...O21NUR1Y5M7XOO1

Saved as a 148Kb pdf. I missed out 2 sections, one about placing the engine and gearbox on some special engine stand and another to do with vehicles that have air con (and I don't think your's does, does it?). Download it asap cause I'm not sure how long the files stays there smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks mate, that is gonna be a great help.

I have the latest Autodata, so have instructions for most servicable jobs, just nothing for major jobs.

My 'Never gonna touch a tool again' technical supervisor, offered me his pre fad garage, as hes gonna have a clear out and get a shed.

I love this guy, when he had a clear out of all his tools, he asked if I wanted some odd sockets and spanners, as he'd sorted out one complete set of metric and imerial sizes.

He opened the boot and said, you will have to lift them out. In was a doubled bagged refuge sack, full of them.

Well over a full set of proppa old tools.

Ive spied my Dads old welding gear, in the back of my mums Garage.

Gonna ring him and ask if I can take them, as theres no way he'll ever collect them, he hated welding, when getting paid for it. Wouldn't do it for fun lol

Someone once said to me, to always plan everything, and then get on with it, iother wise it cost ya.

Didn't listen, and realised today, I paid extra when I bought the engine, because I wanted the Loom and ECU.

The loom isn't gonna be used, and neither is the ECU, so Ive wasted over £100 already.

sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Need to ask my work mate, if can give me a hand taking the 1.0 out as the guy that was helping me pulled his back out night before last.

Edited by Tigz

making your own exhaust in no time

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When it comes to exhausts what is the best thing for a car on throttle boddies?

The Jetex I have now is fantatsic, the engine revs well, but remains restricive enough to not lose much touque.

Commen sense tells me, this will be better than a large bore system, that were for use with a Turbo.

But can someone conferm that please?

When it comes to exhausts what is the best thing for a car on throttle boddies?

The Jetex I have now is fantatsic, the engine revs well, but remains restricive enough to not lose much touque.

Commen sense tells me, this will be better than a large bore system, that were for use with a Turbo.

But can someone conferm that please?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess you wanna stick with at least some back pressure, as the engine on TBs is gonna be pretty rev happy anyway. Keeping some restriction in the zorst should give you some low down pulling power. I doubt there's much of an exact science about it (unless you want to go calculating all the fluid flow through some mega kean pipe!) so you'd be best just try the Jetex you have and going from there.

Im sure it'd be fine.

Luckly Tim has said I can have his Manifold, so that terrable 1400 effort can be scrapped!

Rains held off for a while, so Ive got the rest of the front end removed and the water drained out.

Just gonna jack the car up now, and empty the oil.

Its wierd that this is the first time in my life Ive never even changed the oil and filter on a engine!!!

front-end.jpg

What ever happends Tim, that piece of Poo is going!

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edit.

erm... 4 bolts.

How many have I removed?

None, everyone sheared off!

Oh the Joys of salty brittish roads!

Edited by Tigz

Two reasons really, first and formost, I dont have an engine lift, so it willlose a hint of wieght (as Tesco says - every little helps)

But the main reason is I dont want to leave the engine stood for months in old oil.

You think I shouldn't bother then Ross?

Ok I'll leave it then.

Will the engine be alright with the old oil Ross?

I saw on Home and leasure (dont laugh, you'd be suprrised how little I could do without it tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ) that you should change the oil before standing an engine.

what ya gonna do with that engine ? dont leave it standing with no oil whatever you do, but imo its a wates of fresh oil, cause no one is gonna want that block, take it to the tip and see if you can get enough for a pint biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ... ive got one too so maybe you will get two pints

im off to get your throttlew now, smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> they got here at 12:50 today, but i wasnt here...