Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

I'll do my best to find something excited to tell you about...

Oh yes, we fitted a new engine on Friday.

It's another 1.6, but this time with a 6 speed gearbox with quaife LSD... and a nice big Turbo just to add to the fun!

b55a4e10.jpg

d9168c66.jpg

5665ddb3.jpg

I'm looking for 200bhp, although the turbo is good for 270.

I'm so excited about the engine, I've been watching it being developed since before my car was taken off the road.

My two favourite parts I have ever seen on a car are both on this engine.

The turbo manifold was designed and built by 'Blackrat' a few years ago.

When he had the plate made he had the word 'Lupo' cut into the material, it's so cool!

When Pete and I spoke about the deal, he told me he had cut it off because it was fitted to his Arosa! lol

I only semi believed him but that could have been a deal breaker!

When Pete took on the project a few years back, the engine started to come to life.

The oil feed for the Turbo, coolant to the Turbo and a million and five other jobs were worked out and built, I'm hoping Pete will have the time to explain it all as he's done such a nice job, the build quality is some of the best I've seen on a home build.

My other favourite part on the engine is the adaptor for the oil filter to give the feed to the Turbo possible, you have to see it in the flesh to appreciate just how sexy this part is!

The six speed gearbox with the first Quaife limited slip differential in the world fitted.

There is loads left to do, Pete has already built all the intercooler hoses, for for a different smaller intercooler.

There was a brand new, larger (and black so cooler lol) Sprinter intercooler with the car so I hope I can reuse as much of the pipework as possible.

The front of the car is so low, I love it but it's going to have to be raised up I think, there is plenty of space for the engine and box though which I was surprised about.

The 20v sat really low in the Polo.

Swapping the conversions were a one hell of a challenge!

My work mate let me use his LWB 3.0 V6 Toyota Landcruiser, so I collected that on Thursday night and picked up Pete and his car trailer.

I think we set off the hundred mile to my house about about eight, and made good time.

Got to the Lupo and started to winch it onto the back, the car has been sat for a long time so it didn't help the slightly poorly winch.

The car grounded at one point and while two men trying to put a car onto a trailer at 10pm in the dark a bloke came to challenge us. In the end we had to use the fella to pull the car up by hand!

We got to the fuel station about 11pm and filled up the car, £90!!!

Got to the window, handed over the car to find I only had £25 in the account!

Thankfully I talked the policeman who turned up to take me to get my wife's bank card to get on our way.

3:30am we got to Petes lol

We got up and got the car on axle stands on Friday, and got the engine installed.

We got the N/S and O/S mounts in, they are the same on the none and GTI.

The gearbox mount is different though, I have both type of mount so I need to get a bracket made to bolt to the subframe to avoid swapping the drivetrain.

We wanted to get off before rush hour so before we got cleaned up we tried to pull the Lupo onto the trailer and the winch gear bent.

We now have a problem, machine mart is in the city centre and rush hour was approaching!

Still, managed to find a new mount identical fitment so we were on our way by 6pm.

As we were on a fuel budget, it took three hours to get the Lupo home and swap it for the Polo.

Good to know you are still enjoying the build of the car!

Seems you have it all thought out, just needing time to get it finished... TBH I can't wait to do something like this on mine, but it's still a very long way ahead of me...

Bear in mind I'll be wanting a ride once yours is finished :lol:

• 1 month later...

oops, wrong thread lol

I've used Lupo GTI hubs, Lupo GTI carriers and Calipers.

mk2 GTI carriers work fine, but the calipers have a different brake pipe fitment and the mk2 brake lines are too short so custom pipes are needed (not expensive)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Andi.. Sweet..

To the person who asked about the oil pressure spring, you can shim the spring out with shims(Washers :blush: ) to increase the oil pressure. Knowing how much to shim it will take some experiment.

A stronger spring or shimming the spring will only make a difference when cold. When the oil is hot, it won't be relying on the spring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...