Ebay Feedback

Tigz™

People do it as they don't have to pay commission on postage.

It's fair enough, but against EBay rules. They should (theoretically) say in the description they're whacking the price of the postage up to make more money on the item.

If I got whatever it was for a real bargain price I'd shrug my shoulders but if the cost of the postage made it a lot less of a bargain and they were clearly profiteering I think I'd complain too.

The problem is with the feedback system. It's crap and I'll be amazed if they actually do anything.

PS - half an hour of Crusoe's time is £50!! Is the lad a dentist?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the seller is wrong to leave negative feedback.

Whats been said on here already is correct a lot of sellers hike up the postage to cover their ass in case there are few bids and the item sells cheap.

It works both ways though, the wife bought a brand new puffa jacket for our 8 year old, only bid at £2.00 plus £3.00 postage.

The postage cost was £4.74 so they got £0.26 for the jacket, so should we send the extra £1.74 for the postage wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I think the best you could hope for is to e-mail the seller and politely offer to withdraw your feedback if he does the same.

Goes against the grain but at least you get a clean slate and a lesson learned for future smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

when i list an item on ebay i look to see what other people are charging for postage then it seams fare to charge the same and some times i loose out and it costs me more (but i do pack things very well) take the ruff with the smooth coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Wonder who else rips people off on postage then.

Me.

Depending on how you look at it.

When selling a jacket on ebay, i charge £10 for special delivery, the actual postage charge is normally around £7.50, 50p for a large feathermail padded envelope...and £2 for my time.

In the case of the chop saw, i think the guy is pushing it a little bit, but at the same time....you did agree to the postage costs when you bid on the item.

Live and learn mate, its ok to make a mistake, as long as you don't make it more than once.

I would leave andi negative feedback too

Crickey!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Well I'll add some fuel to this fire too.......I'd give you some negative too Andi, just for the hell of it! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

if he knew how much it cost *him* to post it, then surely he's charged you the correct amount.

if you didn't think it was appropriate, why did you bid?

No, he didn't charge the appropriate amount. He charge 250% of the correct amount. Admittedly, that's talking about the postage cost alone, rather than handling, but let's face it - it didn#t cost him £15 to handle the thing!

Andi didn't know it was inappropriate until it arrived. Had it had a big stamp on it saying it had cost £25 for p&p (or even £20) I'm sure he wouldn't have complained. There was no way of knowing the that the price was inappropriate until it had arrived, by which it was too late.

The guy has broken eBay rules. I say report him. Keep your proof of actual costs. At the end of the day, you have nothing to lose, so you may as well try.

Retaliatory feedback pisses me off. I've had it when I've had Non Paying Bidders. You report them, get your fees back, leave them neg, and then they neg you back. Ebay were supposed to be putting a stop to retaliatory feedback in those situations (wouldn't probably apply to this situation though) over a year ago, but as yet have done nothing. I'm expecting more since I did 3 negs yesterday for NPB's!!

Also, my view is that a seller should leave feedback as soon as the buyer had paid. I had a seller send me a feedback reminder last week, just 4 days after I paid for the item, so I could have only had it for 2 days at best (I paid in the evening). He hadn't left me feedback, and got very upset when I sent him an email telling him I objected to his reminder. He also didn't like the feedback I'd left him, even though it was positive, but couldn't leave me anything shitty cos he's got it set up to leave feedback automatically. Anyway, I digress. Feedback should be left for buyers as soon as they have paid, and you are NOT allowed to make a profit from your postage costs, which this guy clearly has.

this still going on...

Sellers may charge reasonable postage & packaging charges to cover the costs of posting, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay will not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge, eBay will consider member reports when determining whether or not a seller’s postage, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Postage & packaging and handling charges may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge:

Actual Postage cost: This is the actual cost of delivering the item.

Handling Fee: Actual packaging materials costs may be charged. A handling fee in addition to actual postage cost may be charged if it is not excessive. Sellers who want to be sure they are in compliance with this policy may charge actual postage costs plus actual packaging materials cost.

Insurance: Sellers offering insurance may only charge the actual fee for insurance. No additional amount may be added, such as “self-insurance”. Sellers who do not use a licensed third-party insurance company may not require buyers to purchase insurance.

The cost shown on the package might have been an old stamp left on the box, it might have been the postage cost but not the insurance cost, it could easily have charged £10 to cover the cost of driving into town, money for parking etc.

You couldn't argue it was excessive - phone up DHL and ask how much it woudl be to courier that box and it woudl probably be £25 or more. If it was £50 that would be excessive.

Ok, simple...Andi - how was it delivered? Courier or Royal Mail? Was the £10 stamp dated? If so, what was the date (ie was it definately the stamp from your delivery).

I suspect I know the answers to these questions, but just to get people to see that the bloke's a piss-taker, it'd be good if you could post them for us.

When it arrived in the post, the postage stamp showed it was only £10.

In fact, I think this answers part of the question already. It arrived in the post. Therefore the price on the stamp (if this is the correct stamp) is the full price of postage, including any insurance. It also makes it unfair to compair the price with an independent courier, since it hasn't come via that method.

It was a courier.

The postage label was printed the evening before.

There was no postage insurance.

Also, I was not in when it was delivered, so when I got home from work I drove 15 miles to sheffield in my Polo, which I get between 17-24MPG in.

I didn't cost me £10 worth of fuel to do so!!

Edited by Tigz

i disagree - and not purely out of habit - if i'm selling something i'm not going to phone round working out the cheapest way to get it there. I might look on the postoffice website and guess or phone up a large courier and get a figure based on the weight/size and use that as my delivery charge plus something for my time, packing etc. If when it was bought in the auction and i arraged it through a different courier or post office instead of courier and it turned out cheaper i wouldn't return the postage cost difference that had alrady been agreed.

Alan, he's already sent at least one of these items before, so knows the EXACT cost. He's told Andi that. So he didn't need to research.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Thats the same chop saw as i have! i paid £60 from B&Q laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Not for that one you didn't.

B&Q certainly dont sell that model.

I have two, the new one I paid LESS for, Argos sell this size and spec for £89 but have them out of stock but on offer for £45.

I bought this 'ex demo' one knowing it could be had cheaper new.

Its to replace one that someone lent to my inlaws which failed the first time they used it.

I repaired it, but he complained that it was fine when it left him.

I didnt belive him, so told him he would get a replacment, but would not be getting a new one like he was hoping for.

Max could you copy and paste what you have found on ebay?

Crusoe it was you wasn't it? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Crusoe it was you wasn't it? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Nope, I certainly wouldn't think about arguing over £10 or £15 not worth the time or effort even to think about getting angry over. You agreed a price, paid for it and got what you expected - a successful e-bay purchase in my book.

Edited by Crusoe

Nope, I certainly wouldn't think about arguing over £10 or £15 not worth the time or effort even to think about getting angry over.

Not a man of principles then?

You agreed a price, paid for it and got what you expected - a successful e-bay purchase in my book.

Except not a fair sale

Not for that one you didn't.

B&Q certainly dont sell that model.

I have two, the new one I paid LESS for, Argos sell this size and spec for £89 but have them out of stock but on offer for £45.

I bought this 'ex demo' one knowing it could be had cheaper new.

Its to replace one that someone lent to my inlaws which failed the first time they used it.

I repaired it, but he complained that it was fine when it left him.

I didnt belive him, so told him he would get a replacment, but would not be getting a new one like he was hoping for.

Max could you copy and paste what you have found on ebay?

Excessive Postage & Packaging Charges Policy

Sellers may charge reasonable postage & packaging charges to cover the costs of posting, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay will not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge, eBay will consider member reports when determining whether or not a seller’s postage, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Postage & packaging and handling charges may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge:

Actual Postage cost: This is the actual cost of delivering the item.

Handling Fee: Actual packaging materials costs may be charged. A handling fee in addition to actual postage cost may be charged if it is not excessive. Sellers who want to be sure they are in compliance with this policy may charge actual postage costs plus actual packaging materials cost.

Insurance: Sellers offering insurance may only charge the actual fee for insurance. No additional amount may be added, such as “self-insurance”. Sellers who do not use a licensed third-party insurance company may not require buyers to purchase insurance.

Tax: Only actual applicable taxes, eg: VAT, and equivalent taxes may be charged.

For cross-border transactions, sellers may not collect tariffs and duties. However, buyers may be responsible for actual, applicable tariffs, and duties as requested by respective country laws.

Breaches of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

even if the guy wa charging a handling fee it would be majorly excessive!

To be fair i normaly over charge for postage and never had a problem. I had to post abroad and charged a guy 30 quid when it cost me 28 quid somthing. and i tend to chrage 10 quid on stuff i know only costs 7 or 8 quid to post, never had any problems

£1 or 2 isn't a problem on £10 or 30. You can justifiably say that's handling etc.

But not £15. That's outragous.

And the principle is that you agree to pay a fair price for something, and that includes the postage. Had Andi known beforehand that the actual cost of postage was MUCH lower, I'd have said it serves him right. But the guy's out of order, plain and simple, and he's in breach of eBay's rules.

£1 or 2 isn't a problem on £10 or 30. You can justifiably say that's handling etc.

But not £15. That's outragous.

And the principle is that you agree to pay a fair price for something, and that includes the postage. Had Andi known beforehand that the actual cost of postage was MUCH lower, I'd have said it serves him right. But the guy's out of order, plain and simple, and he's in breach of eBay's rules.

if andi thought £25 was unreasonable he should have said before he bid end of story IMO. If the postage was £100 becasue he happened to be visiting his parents in Alaska this week and there were stamps on it to prove it cost that would it be an issue? If anything it was Andy's error IMO it's easy enough to find out a rough price that somethign shoudl cost to be delivered so he should have checked if he wasn't happy.

bet Andy's one of those people that would come back and use on of those "if you see it cheaper elsewhere we'll return the difference" type deals if it was only 99p cheaper somewhere obscure on the web lol.

Ebay is supposed to be about Trust.

At the end of the day, you are trusting that the seller is being honest about what he is selling and delivery prices.

Feeback is there to help keep that trust alive, when you can not be honest about what the sale was like (ie, the guy over charging by £15) then a bad feedback shouldn't be given to the buyer.

Thats the issue here, I couldn'tc are less about the £15, I spent more cash on a gasket this week, the issue I have is with me leaving a nutural feedback, to then be given a bad feedback when I did everything I should perfectly (ie. paid with 5 mins of aution ending)

If you disagree with that Alan, I think you are argueing for the sake of it.

If the postage was £100 becasue he happened to be visiting his parents in Alaska this week and there were stamps on it to prove it cost that would it be an issue?

You've hit the nail on the head.

"and there were stamps on it to prove it cost that "

The stamps prove that it cost 2/5 of the postage price paid. Had the guy used a courier that had charged him £25 Andi wouldn't have complained. But he didn't. He used a £10 service, for which he charge more than double that. I doubt Andi could have checked the actual price, since he didn't know which courier was sending it.

Regardless of all your arguments, he HAS broken eBay's rules. It's clear. You can make all the other arguments you like, but he's broken them, and there's no excuse for or defence against it.