Test drove a Fox

Swoxy

Had the pleasure of test driving a Fox 1.2 yesterday. My brother knew I wanted a go and kindly arranged it for me. Got to Citygate Colindale pretty late, just before closing and didn't think they'd have time for us but the salesman was happy to see us and had the car waiting.

First impressions? Looked horrid in non-metallic dark blue paint and had massive unpainted bumpers. Was surprised at the interior quality considering what I'd heard - no way near as good as the Lupo but better than a lot of small cars I've been in. However, the door cards were disgusting - but the multi-coloured seat upholstery looked great. Upon starting it up and maneuvering it out of the car park I immediately noticed the steering was a lot lighter than the Lupo's.

Once we got on to the city roads I realised how much higher this vehicle is than most others on the road. Great for visibility and gives you a slightly better view of the road ahead, which isn't a bad thing considering the amount of MPVs and 4x4s around town. The gearbox was ever so slightly notchy but had the same reassuringly firm feel as the Lupo's.

Then we hit the open road. Thought I'd do a bit of acceleration testing, redlining it in every gear I noticed that it's more nippy then my 1.0 and pulls in 5th gear in situations where my car wouldn't. Heading back in to down I got a feel for the brakes when a car did a surprise U-turn in front of me, which were pretty reassuring and felt fine. I do not know whether the car I drove was fitted with ABS.

It was only when I got back into the dealership and noticed the car had a total of seven miles on the clock after a six mile journey, that I realised I'd been ragging the hell out of a brand new car ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> The salesman hadn't even said a thing!

Overall, I think it's a perfectly adequate little car. There is no doubting that it doesn't do it for me like the Lupo does, not because I love the Lupo but because the quality simply isn't the same and that's one characteristic of the Lupo I adore. However, the Lupo is no longer available. Although I'd have no hesitations in purchasing a Fox at the right price on the second hand market after a couple of years, I think I'd feel much more comfortable sinking my £6.5k into a brand new Aygo. Nevertheless, I don't think it's a bad choice of choice of car at all and look forward to more owners joining up here and showing us what can be done.

Sounds like you quite liked it then.

I would like a test drive in one also, did you book it or just turn up and ask?

I think all foxes, even the basics, have ABS, and they are quite a lot of car for the money i think.

The interior quality is a bit down on the lupo though isnt it, and its no where near as good to look at (the dash i mean), but i do like the look of the fox and i would buy one, but where is the TDi, i carnt believe VW has'nt released one, i know it was in the pipeline when the fox was first brought out, but it doesnt look like its going to happen.

Chris

Edited by cardaft

good post, i'm hoping to test drive one myself at some point as my mum will be looking for a new car in the not too distant future!

just to clear something up: ABS is compulsory on all "volume produced" cars since sometime in 2005 I believe, so yeah it will have had ABS smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think your right in that buying a fox is a decision of the head... its a good car, but theres nothing to get attached to like the lupo. Or an Aygo for that matter.

Chris I agree with you about the TDI, they do have one in european markets with the 1.4 TDI 75ps, but volkswagen UK chose not to import it as its price would be around £8500 and they decided after the lupo not many people would pay that price for a basic vw. I think its madness!

Chris I agree with you about the TDI, they do have one in european markets with the 1.4 TDI 75ps, but volkswagen UK chose not to import it as its price would be around £8500 and they decided after the lupo not many people would pay that price for a basic vw. I think its madness!

Oh i didnt know VW actually made one at all so thats interesting. I think a TDi would sell quite well, as there is only the C1 and Aygo availavle in a similar class which offers a diesel, and i would buy a fox over either of them. And £8500 isnt really too bad as the list price for a Fox Urban 1.4 is £7995 i think, id buy one, and i think people who bought the TDi lupo as a a commuter car, among others, would also buy one.

Chris

I'd have one if I didn't drive like a cowboy (legs apart), since my knees don't agree with the centre console

even considered buying one new yesterday, then realised that I could buy a better used car for the cash!

I would like a test drive in one also, did you book it or just turn up and ask?

My brother booked it the same day.

I'd have one if I didn't drive like a cowboy (legs apart), since my knees don't agree with the centre console

Same here!

even considered buying one new yesterday, then realised that I could buy a better used car for the cash!

Agreed.

I don't know why, but I'd rather be in a Lupo than a Fox in a crash. It just feels more solid.

Edit

Just had a look into this and I'm pleased to discover they're both 4 star cars ...

foxga4.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

lupodetwx1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by Swoxy

Bluloop - who said that in PVW?

Mike London, in his 'London Calling' feature on page 26, I have slightly shortened it, full version.......

I've owned and modified every damn thing Wolfsburg has seen fit for US shores- don't tell a soul, that includes a Fox. I've liked certain things about all of them, had fun and met friends because of each one. Minus the Fox of course, there is no reason for anyone to drive a Fox ever.

"It was only when I got back into the dealership and noticed the car had a total of seven miles on the clock after a six mile journey, that I realised I'd been ragging the hell out of a brand new car The salesman hadn't even said a thing"

one of the reasons you should never buy an ex demonstrater!!!!

this is what people do huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

so is Swoxy a crash test dummy or...? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Just a dummy mate wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

There is no reason for anyone to drive a Fox EVER

Except to rag the hell out of it twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add my thoughts on the Fox as I drove one for the first time yesterday, got it as a courtesy car due to Lupo being at dealers for a fix. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The Fox is a 1.2L basic model, no central locking, electric windows etc and lots of plastic trim and initial impressions are that it's very large for a 'small' car. Parked next to my Mk2 Golf it looks large, certainly very high and quite bland, plus it's bright yellow. That said, once you get used to it, it's not too bad looking, a bit like the modern VW/Seat Caddy vans and similar to newish small Jap cars I suppose.

As for driving, well, it's not really fair to compare it with the Lupo we have as the Lupo is a 1.4 16v so obviously a lot more powerful. That said, although very low powered the Fox handles quite nicely for this type of car, grips well and the brakes are very strong. Acceleration is nothing more than leisurely but it comparable to 1.0 Lupo's I've driven before and pulls well enough considering the power available.

One thing I did notice is that at speed on country lanes the back end of the Fox doesn't feel planted at all, it feels skitish and light which isn't reassuring at all, doesn't feel as safe as the Lupo, not sure why as presumably it has a longer wheelbase?

Anyway - overall, not my cup of tea and obviously built down to a price, but seems like a decent basic little car. With lowered suspension and a decent amount of power it wouldn't be half bad! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• 3 months later...

Hi they are not bad atall as i have just ordered a 1.2 urban in silver (they look alot better in silver) three years free sevicing as well . I drive a punto xreg at the moment it is not good the best thing is the factry fit sub and the engine pulls will.

but the fox is nice lot look at and drive i think vw could offer a lowering kit like they do with there other cars then add some alloys and away you go a micro golf plus

In other counterys you can get a 1.4 tdi and a hot 1.6l (100 bhp) engine

Hi they are not bad atall as i have just ordered a 1.2 urban in silver (they look alot better in silver) three years free sevicing as well .

That's exactly what I got! Brilliant car, has it been delivered yet? They do look a lot better in silver, I hate how car manufacturers market cars in red and yellow just to grab the 'yoof' market. The reason I bought the car is that I wanted something small but more grown up; the Fox is definitely not a kids car.

Yes i picked it up on tuseday nice car i had a 2000 punto befor it was s+%t compered with the fox i have found out you can get a golf bag with all the culbs in it in the boot if you slide the seats fully forward so you don't have to fold the seats down nice

I don't play golf, but I am a travelling PC repairman and I haven't had any problems fitting computers and repair cases in there. Haven't even slid the bench seat forward yet! It's just a shame you can't fit that extra person in the middle seat; they obviously decided to give two people luxury space rather than three people cramped space.

I don't play golf, but I am a travelling PC repairman and I haven't had any problems fitting computers and repair cases in there. Haven't even slid the bench seat forward yet! It's just a shame you can't fit that extra person in the middle seat; they obviously decided to give two people luxury space rather than three people cramped space.

My 3L only take 3 passangers...

• 2 months later...

Our Caravelee has gone itno VW overnight for its cambelt replacement.

So we have a FOX DSC00673.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Chris

Edited by cardaft