1.4 tdi

Gavs_arosa16v

The quickest way to remove all the performance gains of a remap on your tdi is to fit one of these...

Didn't someone claim that they had faster shifting from one of these i remember reading?

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

From what I know, VNT style turbos don't operate the same way as normal turbos, so have always been worried if the excess boost is usually designed to kept in the system, it cannot be good to vent it out using a £300 electronically controlled system! huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

quote from FAQ of TDI club:

11. Blow-off valves or BOV or similar

Since people insist upon asking about these devices, they need to be discussed ... The purpose of a "blow-off valve" or "diverter valve" on a gasoline engine is to give boost pressure someplace to go when the throttle plate is abruptly closed, to prevent operating the compressor in the "surge" regime. Since a diesel engine doesn't have a throttle plate, a gadget like this serves absolutely no purpose and has no business anywhere on a diesel engine. "But I like the cool noise ..." Too bad, this discussion is focused on things that WORK. Even if you manage to find some way to make such a device work, the noise of people "in the know" laughing at you because they realize that it has absolutely no place on your engine will drown out the noise that the device itself makes.

Installation: Impossible. Cannot be made to work even if you insist upon it.

Advantages: None.

Disadvantages: Won't work. People who actually know how a diesel engine works will laugh at you for even considering it. You are your own warranty.

Cost factor: Too much, all things considered.

Cautions specific to this modification: Won't accomplish anything.

Suggested modifications in parallel: Irrelevant.

"Bang for the Buck": One hundred percent total waste of time and money.

What if I want more? Do something that actually accomplishes something ...

Totally agree with the above....no benefit to be gained in anyway, shape, or form by fitting one to your TDi.

Mark smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

quote from FAQ of TDI club:

11. Blow-off valves or BOV or similar

Since people insist upon asking about these devices, they need to be discussed ... The purpose of a "blow-off valve" or "diverter valve" on a gasoline engine is to give boost pressure someplace to go when the throttle plate is abruptly closed, to prevent operating the compressor in the "surge" regime. Since a diesel engine doesn't have a throttle plate, a gadget like this serves absolutely no purpose and has no business anywhere on a diesel engine. "But I like the cool noise ..." Too bad, this discussion is focused on things that WORK. Even if you manage to find some way to make such a device work, the noise of people "in the know" laughing at you because they realize that it has absolutely no place on your engine will drown out the noise that the device itself makes.

Installation: Impossible. Cannot be made to work even if you insist upon it.

Advantages: None.

Disadvantages: Won't work. People who actually know how a diesel engine works will laugh at you for even considering it. You are your own warranty.

Cost factor: Too much, all things considered.

Cautions specific to this modification: Won't accomplish anything.

Suggested modifications in parallel: Irrelevant.

"Bang for the Buck": One hundred percent total waste of time and money.

What if I want more? Do something that actually accomplishes something ...

yeah i understand what your saying about it going on a tdi!

but are you realy that sad to care about what people think about your car?

im not!

Edited by ryan lupo sport

The reason people use them on petrol turbo cars, is that when you let off the gas and dip the clutch, the turbo goes into negative pressure, causing the turbo to stall...

When the dump valve opens, It dumps the build up of presure from the turbo, and allows it to keep spinning more freely.

(afaik)

Ive got a electronic dump valve. Brought it for 100 quid off ebay, second hand. I want it for a backup to prevent over boosting. Should help for a quicker spool up of the turbo between gear shifts.

I thought the main reason of a dump valve is get rid of the left over hot compressed air. The longer it stays comepressed in the pipework the hotter it gets. So it would make sense to be a benefit to both diesels and petrols. Diesels dont have them because they dont produce vacuum.

The tdi club FAQ on BOV's is a little out of date i think. They refer to fact that it cant be done more than being useless.

derv doctor dump valves are complete ****, mine was nothing but trouble, infact any dump valve kit that has to be activated by a switch and takes its vacum from your brake servo pipe it crap.

you will see no perfomance gains from a dump valve on a diesel only loss. you would purely be fitting one for the sound.

there is one dump valve kit on the market at the moment for diesels and i have seen it first hand, and can vouch for how good it is, you wont see any gains from it but you wont get any loss either, its from Adam Baker Developments www.abvss.co.uk if any one does feel the need to fit one i would give adam a call, tell him i sent ya. he has put alot of time and money in to this kit and it is only used on PD engines.

I've got a dump valve off ebay, only thing is because I dont have a turbo it makes a noise when I hit the funny pedal, then goes quite when I lift off.

Have I been ripped off?

its possible you have wired in the wrong way round, did you run the live straight to your flux capasitor or through a relay first??

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I've got a dump valve off ebay, only thing is because I dont have a turbo it makes a noise when I hit the funny pedal, then goes quite when I lift off.

Have I been ripped off?

Bit of a stupid comment.

Im probably wrong about the spool up part of it, but as my ecu is not gonna be controling the turbo i need something to kill the boost whilst im setting up the boost controller.

Bit of a stupid comment.

Im probably wrong about the spool up part of it, but as my ecu is not gonna be controling the turbo i need something to kill the boost whilst im setting up the boost controller.

hold on a second, im totaly confused. what exactly are you doing??