Rear Bump stops

Hiya all got the loop back from volkwagen to sort its idle problem out (dirty throttle body) only dawm thing I didnt do was clean that! ..doh! ah well atleast they diagnosed it and fixed it for £60 also topped up power steering fluid ..oops.

Got the express visual sheet and its got a "needs urgent attention" for a near side bump stop how important are these and how much am i looking at to get it replaced?! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Also need to get a couple new tyres for the front of it ..then its sorted well sorted until something else falls off it lol biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Mike

The bump stops are there to cushion the impact when your strut is fully compressed (under heavy load). They perish over time through abuse and weathering. There's no rush to refit new ones - if your tight on money, then fit the new tyres first. They are massively more important. New stops are dirt cheap, and can be fitted by yourself. It's only a matter of releasing the rear strut top and jacking the car up - you should be able to slide the old one off and the new one on in situ - probably 10 minutes a side. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 2 months later...
Only a matter of releasing the rear strut top and jacking the car up - you should be able to slide the old one off and the new one on in situ

Sorry to drag up and old thread! Does anyone know if this technique can be used on a 9n Polo?

My sister's been quoted £135 to replace the rear stops on her SDI!!

Cheers

Si.

Lol forgot all about mine needing doing ..few other expensive things fell off it which needed re attaching lol smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

..£135 ! ouch

had a look at my girlfriends 52reg polo. the process above would appear to still be relevant.

my bumpstops need doing too, I just keep applying gaffer tape to the plastic cones to hold it all together... think it'll hold until the weather turns better!!

to get the rear bump stops changed will take you all of 10/15mins a side , i would say the easiest way would be to take the shockie out . now with an arosa you can get access to the top of the strut witout removing anything . with a loop remove the carpeted boot wall.

to undo the top of the shockie you will need a ( i think its a 5mm spanner and i *think* a 15mm spanner . the 5mm is to hold the shockie inplace while you undo the bolt . once that is undone , jack the car up and undo the bolt that holds the bottom shockie bolt on . ( both sides of the bolt are 16mm if i remember right ) and then the shockie will come out . replace worn bumpstops and refit everything . done .

You dont need to take the shocker totally out, just undoing it from the top will do. Then just compress the shocker and the bumpstop will slide off. YOu then pop the shocker cover onto the bottom of the new bumpstop (as it falls off when the old bumpstop is perished exposing the metal rod) and then fit it. 10 minute job .

Sorry to drag up and old thread! Does anyone know if this technique can be used on a 9n Polo?

My sister's been quoted £135 to replace the rear stops on her SDI!!

Cheers

Si.

Yeah looks to be the same as the lupo / arosa. Although the set up on the mk5 polo (the one the lupo is based on) is different, but then mk6 polos have the same rear suspension set up so yes it should be the same.

Chris