MOT failure - Front Lower Suspension Arms/ Bushes

2001 GTI with 44k miles failed by VW main dealer on "(n/s/f and o/s/f lower suspension arms [REAR BUSHES WORN]) bonded suspension bonding failed and part of unit is likely to become displaced [2.4.F.2]

Proposed solution is to replace both front suspension arms - does this seem appropriate? From what I have read here the bushes alone can be replaced - needless to say I am getting another opinion.

By the way the 'how to' on fixing the High Level Brake Light is excellent! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ....failed on that as well

Also needed new wipers and found that a 6X2 955 426A blade is a direct replacement for drivers side blade without changing the arm - another £30 plus VAT saved! Seems that passenger side still has to be a kit of blade and arm - not quite convinced - but that not in stock until tomorrow. From what I can see the two sides are identical - as far as I know mine still has the original blades - mostly rubber with a simple pin fitting!

Any advice on the first point welcomed.

you can replace bushes on there own about £6-£8 from g&s each

it usually costs more to replace the bush than the whole wishbone, due to a press being required to push the bushes out

about £25 + vat from an auto parts shop.

You'll be lucky !

Most UK motor factors can not supply wishbones for the lupo...

We can't and were the biggest privately owned motorfactors in the uk, and founding members of the UK Parts Alliance ! so i very much doubt whatever you get from an "Autoparts" shop will be right for the car !

if the lupo and mk2 arosa front suspension arms are the same then they are available from some motor factors Gsf wanted £45 delivered and i managed to get one for £40 from a local place so shop around as usual

if possible i would be getting under the car and checking they do need replacing i really woulndnt put it past stealers to try and push for a bit of extra money

wayne

• 1 month later...

RE: high 3rd brake light

Just read this thread and 99.9% certain that the highway code says that any red light on the rear of your car must be fully working and operational. ie if your car has 25 rear red lights then all of them must be fully operational.

Even if both your tail lights are OK but your high rear is bust then it's a fail.

My mate's dad is traffic police man so I'll double check with him - just so you chaps are aware.

Merry Christmas.

RE: high 3rd brake light

Just read this thread and 99.9% certain that the highway code says that any red light on the rear of your car must be fully working and operational. ie if your car has 25 rear red lights then all of them must be fully operational.

Even if both your tail lights are OK but your high rear is bust then it's a fail.

My mate's dad is traffic police man so I'll double check with him - just so you chaps are aware.

Merry Christmas.

MOT test manual states this:

High level stop lamps

These are lamps usually fitted in the rear window or boot spoiler of a vehicle and may consist of a number of light sources .

The lamp is one unit, so as long as at least one of the light sources illuminates when the brake pedal is pressed the lamp is deemed to be working.

MOT test manual states this:

High level stop lamps

These are lamps usually fitted in the rear window or boot spoiler of a vehicle and may consist of a number of light sources .

The lamp is one unit, so as long as at least one of the light sources illuminates when the brake pedal is pressed the lamp is deemed to be working.

blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Fair enough - I would have bet my dangly bits on it being a failure - but obviously I'm wrong.

Slightly off topic

I've got my MOT in the new year - I've never had to MOT a car before anything I should watch out for. Also, will a non functioning driverside elec window fail me??

blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I've got my MOT in the new year - I've never had to MOT a car before anything I should watch out for. Also, will a non functioning driverside elec window fail me??

Take a look here, its the digital version of the testers manual.

TESTERS MANUAL CLICK HERE

i believe its a fail according to the manual if your spoiler brake light doesnt work. it counts this lamp as one unit, what it means is as these are usually multiple red leds in the spoiler, its ok if some of them dont work but at least one led must light up then the lamp as a whole is counted as working..