Water pump?

Hello all,

Well the saga of the broken lupo goes on.

Quick explanation as to what has happened and what ive done and tried.

Car was all jumpy and hesitant, one day i opened the bonnet and the coolant had pressurised and changed coloutr. Immediately i thought head gasket blown so went on to do a compression test, compression was fine in all cylinders, well in the green on all counts so it looks like theres no leak.

So we stripped the throttle body, inlet manifold and jetted them all out with carb cleaner, these were caked in thick sludge from years of build up it looked like. Drove it for a few days after wards and all seemed fine, no jumping and it drove really smoothly, then a few days later it overheated badly and had to be towed home.

So then we moved on to the thermostat, fan switch etc. We swapped the thermostat over and put a new fan switch into the rad, flushed all of the coolant and topped it all back up

Took it out for a drive and the car overheated again within half a mile. All the way up to 110 with all the light flashing away at me. Anyway got out and looked under the bonnet, the top hose was boiling hot and the bottom one was stone cold, the heater hoses were cold and the heater inside the car was blowing cold air despite the heat of the engine, the radiator was stone cold as well, so no fan kicking in. I cant tell whether the thermostat opened but i think it would seem that the water pump isnt actually working at all? The coolant seems to be just sat in the system and not getting to the rad or heater matrix? Does this sound right?

I dont know what else to try as the pump is the only thing left to look at now. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Hello all,

if anyone is interested to know it was the water pump, well i think so.

We spen ages taking it all apart got down to the water pump and the plastic impellor (way to save money VW!!) had fallen off of the actual pump!

So a nice shiney new pump with metal impeller has gone back on in its place now.

Edited by DanH

• 5 years later...