turbo/supercharge lupo gti engine

G40chris

looking to put a lupo gti engine in my mk1 golf

if i decide to get one of these engines i might supercharge or turbo charge it. how much work is involved in this as it would be worth me doing it before engine conversion. what you guys think.

reckon i could get it to 200bhp

would be very happy with that

Both have been done to the gti engine(by people on clublupo), but not as easy, cheap as a 1.8t. Less of a strain for a 1.8t to get 200bhp than a 1.6 gti engine. But I imagine it to be lighter, could be totally wrong.

13_034_006.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

rothe-motorsport

and lupocharged motor (hope he does not mind me using the pic)

3034B2C5516.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

big pic

Edited by Gavs_arosa16v

just seems the wrong engine to start with for a conversion to turbo.

i have experience of turbo nissan micra engines which are 9.5:1 as standard which is a good base ratio to start with for turbo, then gaskets and or pistons are then used to take it down below 9.0:1, i'm not sure how low you can get from a 11.5 start. the gti unit is born to be an NA high compression racer imo.

did you want to stay with vag engines?

other choices to be different if you change manufacturer.

btw the 1.3 micra engines can be good for 240bhp with a turbo setup, and they weigh nothing being all alloy.

Edited by beach

You can get custom rods and pistons to lower the compression.

But your talking £1200 for those alone, let alone the price of the engine rebuild, with all the bolts and gaskets that go with it.

If you can do the work yourself (?) it would be great to see it in a mk1, its just going to be an expensive job if your having to pay someone I would think.

You could always use a spacer plate, I know a couple have done this.

With a Turbo, the chap is only running low boost.

Don't think anyone knows have far you can push the engine before something breaks yet though.

The Rothe kit your talking thousands, and they will not sell you the kit (unless you know them, eh Dubya wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )so you would need to taken the engine/car for the work to be done.

Good luck with it though if you decide to do it.

Would be cool to see it.

1598cc 16v 2.4mm copper spacer plate takes c/r from 11.5.1 / 9.0.1 eaton/rotrex supercharger unit front mounted intercooler after market management plumbing and brackets should give you a user friendly 210/240 bhp(flywheel figures) good luck would be nice to see that in a MK1 golf biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Here we go beach, a question for you this wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i leave the stage to you tigz.

1598cc 16v 2.4mm copper spacer plate takes c/r from 11.5.1 / 9.0.1 eaton/rotrex supercharger unit front mounted intercooler after market management plumbing and brackets should give you a user friendly 210/240 bhp(flywheel figures) good luck would be nice to see that in a MK1 golf biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

i didnt realise it could drop so far. that is a big spacer though i guess. how many psi can that take? is it for light turbocharging.

if your lowering the compression then i thought that increases the volume the piston compresses this is how the compression drops because there is more volume? just what i thought dont know if i'm right.

Edited by beach

if your lowering the compression then i thought that increases the volume the piston compresses this is how the compression drops because there is more volume? just what i thought dont know if i'm right.

yes that is right.......

the compression ratio is the the realtionship between the total volume in the cylinder and the cylinder head combustion chamber at bdc, and the volume in the combustion chamber at tdc.

the required compression ratio depends on the effiecency of your turbo/super, how much boost, and quaity of the fuel. for a turbo engine & centrifugal supercahrgers(rotrex,g40, etc) i would start at about 9.0:1 and for a roots (eaton) type i would start at 8.0:1....... to produce your 200bhp goal you would need fuel injectors with a higher flow rating too.......

although someone's bound to have done stuff for a Lupo, since it's not exactlt an un-common conversion

a 20v turbo engine can be fitted to a lupo using all oe engine mounts

Edited by Teflon

you learn something new everyday smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

does anyone do off-the-shelf electric harnesses for them? or is it stand-alone the only way? (just for the people that are interested in the conversion smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />)

yep, i heard that the 18t can be fitted with oe mounts what other things would be needed to do the conversion, is it coston lengthed drive shafts. and exhaust and wire in the ecu, that about it? is it a fairly easy conversion to do?

jake

yep, i heard that the 18t can be fitted with oe mounts what other things would be needed to do the conversion, is it coston lengthed drive shafts. and exhaust and wire in the ecu, that about it? is it a fairly easy conversion to do?

jake

it would be the gearbox and the driveshafts which would give you the biggest headache...... the wiring is quite a tough nut to crack in a lupo..... too much $hite attached wich it doesn't actually need.... best ting would be to go for a an early 20valver with the cable operatted throttle. mind you there are companies such as custom code & revo which will can perform the immobilizer defeat function on vw oe ecu units... then all you need is a stardard oe loom to connect it all up. and you wouldn't have to mess around getting it mapped... food for thought eh???? i will ceratinly be looking into this in the near future....... might even do a DIY guide for everybody

Edited by Teflon

thank god for the revo immobiliser defeat lol no key match needed smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> , the six speed box is an impossibility without seriously comprimising the chassis rails width/strength, however the 2.0 tfsi new golf engines box is smaller smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

different ways of wiring also, i know of a polo with tt clocks hidden behind passenger side dash with a loom connecting to the original polo ones

and a company that can make a harness from a 20vt plug into the original cars fuse box.

the six speed box is an impossibility without seriously comprimising the chassis rails width/strength, however the 2.0 tfsi new golf engines box is smaller smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

there is a also the 02T series gearboxes fitted to 9n polo's/fabia/ibiza which can be used on the 20v engine and these are much shorter than the golf boxes..... hydraulic clutch only on these tho.....