GTi Bathurst Tyre Size

leddy

Hi guys

what is the standard tyre size for the bathursts. my gti is totally standard and is fitted with 195/50/15 tyres but they seem to scrub the front passenger arch when on full size?

the only thing i can think of is the tyres are not the correct size? what else could it be?

thanks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i'm sure impossible for it to scrub unless something is non standard or damaged/worn out.

are you 100% sure your gti is standard? for a start you have non standard tyres fitted.

i havent had the wheel off but im pretty sure its standard. its definately not lowered.

there is a slight squeak coming from that side when i turn also but i didnt think this was anything to do with the scrubbing.

what else could cause the scrubbing then?

its really irritating as it make me look stupid! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

and it is scrubbing your getting? you have seen the tyre scraped or the arch rubbed when examined?

yes it scrubs when on full lock to the left. there is clear evidence on the arch lining of the tyre fouling the lining. the squeak happens when turning and it is only very faint so i dont know if the two problems are associated?

thanks for the help beach you always seem to be pretty helpful smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i suppose if you could try the 205/45/15 tyres up front and that would definately tell you if its the tyres or if its something else going on. but 195/50/15 tyres are an accepted size for the gti, they would be about 5mm higher into the arch compared to 205/45/15. but then people get no scrubbing with 30mm drop springs on the standard wheels. are your wheels the 6.5" wide 43 offset gti wheels?

are there any noises when you push down onto the left wing heavily to bounce the left hand side suspension?

could be worthwhile to get that front left wheel off and just have look to see if anything looks wrong/leaks/loose etc..

Edited by beach

i suppose if you could try the 205/45/15 tyres up front and that would definately tell you if its the tyres or if its something else going on. but 195/50/15 tyres are an accepted size for the gti, they would be about 5mm higher into the arch compared to 205/45/15. but then people get no scrubbing with 30mm drop springs on the standard wheels. are your wheels the 6.5" wide 43 offset gti wheels?

are there any noises when you push down onto the left wing heavily to bounce the left hand side suspension?

could be worthwhile to get that front left wheel off and just have look to see if anything looks wrong/leaks/loose etc..

the wheels are standard bathursts so id say they are the offset you have listed above.

i really dont want to have to fork out on new tyres though as the ones on it are virtually brand new rainsports!!

id imagine it would be worth getting it all checked first before i go buying tyres!

i was running some oz superleggeras on my gti which were 7 x 15 with 195/50/15 rubber, and they used to scrape the arch liner on full lock. i was told that it was due to the tyres, as the wishbones ect, are in good condition

i was running some oz superleggeras on my gti which were 7 x 15 with 195/50/15 rubber, and they used to scrape the arch liner on full lock. i was told that it was due to the tyres, as the wishbones ect, are in good condition

did you have offset 43?

I bought these wheels/tyres off martin and put them on my sport.

I had no rubbing issues at standard height, then lowered 40mm, everything was ok except sometimes going over a speed bump a little too quickly it would rub the arch liner but fine on full lock.

Hi, I used to work at a VW main dealer. The tyres rub because the standard tyre size should be 205/45 r15. If you had 195/45 r15 they would not rub, i think poeple fit 195/50 r15 because the tyres are alot cheaper but they will rub because the 50 section of the tyre is too fat and can rub on the inner wheel arch/suspension. The only tyre manufacturer i can find that make 205/45 r15 is dunlop but the cheapest quotes i can get for those tyres are £115 per tyre. If anyone knows a cheaper make, let me know.

i'm sure impossible for it to scrub unless something is non standard or damaged/worn out.

are you 100% sure your gti is standard? for a start you have non standard tyres fitted.

lol this is almost true, swore I had a smigin of rubbing when my car was loaded up to the nines coming back from E38 lol, but not much, and anyone who saw it, saw it was pretty extreme loading lol!

running 50 profile on a gti makes the car handle like a bag of poo imo.. had a set on mine, full lock they used to rub slightly...45 profiles much better..

arent toyos and kuhmos cheaper than dunlops in that size???