Picture of the day

ArosaMike

Known as depth of field (DOF).

Use a low "F" number and focus on the object you want in focus and anything more than close to is should be out of focus.

The further from the point of focus the further out of focus it will be.

The lower the F number the more shallow the DOF. Check out some of Adeles pic's as she has a F1.8 toy. My max on my present camera is F2.7.

I wouldn't bet on that as she has a new f1.8 toy...

...I'll wait for Adele to confirm either way though.

Hardly any editing tbh, just b&w and increased the contrast a bit, thats it really.

I have an f1.8 50mm lens and you dont get that depth of feild cut off like in that picture!!!! its a gradual fade, not like that?

a rough example...

DSC_0343.jpg

unedited.

Edited by Little Green Giant

You say that, though it's only focused on about 10-15mm then it starts to get OOF, have a look at this one from a quick search on Flickr. Similar amount of focused area then OOF.

I think it's helped by the fact that the 'letters' are standing out from the background. Like a step.

Also to quote my own post with the 8-track player, you can see the difference in the 'pioneer' text and the button for the 'fwd' one is gradual and the other is instant.

Mine is a f/1.4, though with the adaptor for my camera it's about 1.7-1.8.

Food for thought anyway. I don't want this to come across patronising as you are an avid photographer from what i've seen of your photos.

Cheers.

...here's another with the 50mm f/1.4 .....

4344017356_65463b2072.jpg

Edited by Tallika_Fan

ah yeah, that does seem to do the same thing too. I dont know why but to me it just looks poor. it looks like bad attention to detail in the editing. but that may be why i tend not to use a shallow depth of field in close up still lifes. I tend to try and use it, like in Ray's image, when i want the foreground to in in focus but the background to not be or vice versa.

Still, i too do not want to sound patronising or like a cock, everyone has their own style and the photography on here is always and has always been very good. Just shedding my opinion. :D

x

New toy...

4412683345_588bc0dc44_o.jpg

Great shots there Ben. Adele was using F1.8 @35mm so I assume the DoF is going to be a lot narrower. And get some more shots up!

New toy...

4412683345_588bc0dc44_o.jpg

Great shots there Ben. Adele was using F1.8 @35mm so I assume the DoF is going to be a lot narrower. And get some more shots up!

Oooohhh... not bad ;)