One for all you maths boffins

IDGM

Truck A is a six axle 44000kg combination, travelling at 55mph.

Truck B is a six axle 44000kg combination, travelling at 56mph.

Assuming each combination is 59 feet long and allowing 10 feet at both the front and rear of truck A for clearance, what is the total distance needed for truck B to overtake truck A?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 Seconds.

What? It's a quiet day! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

he asked for distance, not time rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I'm sorry, fail. The answer is a distance. Remember, you must show workings out.

Unless you're a GCSE student, where 45% of the answer is coursework

I don't actually know the answer. It just seems a bluddy long way when you're on the motorway and two lanes are blocks by one HGV overtaking another.

I don't have a Maths and Statistics degree but I do have a rampant competative edge, so:

The back of truck B is 69 feet behind the back of truck A. In order to overtake it needs to cover this distance plus the length of truck A (59 feet), and an additional 10 feet to be safely ahead.

= 138 Feet

Truck A Speed is 55 Miles per hour = 290400 feet per hour = 80.66 feet per second

Truck B Speed is 56 Miles per hour = 295680 feet per hour = 82.13 feet per second

Therefore, Truck B covers 1.46 feet more per second than Truck A

and will complete the required 138 feet overtaking distance in 94.09 Seconds.

In 94.09 Seconds Truck B, after it’s complete overtaking manoeuvre, will have completed 7728 feet (1.46 miles)whereas Truck A will have only covered 7590 feet (1.43 miles)

I live in Felixstowe, home of the UK's busiest container port. Sadly this means I spend a lot of time sitting behind daft truckers making overtaking a morning's exercise.

It's a sore point... can you tell? mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Why have I been told the weight?

Just incase you wanted to find out the power of the truck, but i couldnt care less because i finshed my last mechanics alevel exam today! woo hoo!

Assuming of course the topspeed of the truck was 56mph, and youre using the simplest a-level mechanics possible!

Edited by Gibbeth!

v=u+at

v2=u2+2as

s=ut+½at2

Except that it won't let me do superscript for the squared items...

I wrote my entire dissertation using those 3. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by nickilupo

Well yes, but its easier to memorise them!

Too much stress in exams to go deriving them!

My best mates off to do a straight maths degree at warwick, but apparently he only has to do 50% pure maths, the rest can be anything he wants, and he wants do stats! Personally i hate it!

So im doing mechanical engineering instead!

I would've preferred to do Mech Eng, but because I didn't do Alevel physics, I would've had to do a foundation year.

I could've done the exact same modules I did at Uni & come out with a straight Maths degree if I'd wanted to - all I did was opt for the stats modules before I went to Uni to make sure I always got a place on the courses.

Ridiculously, 3rd year degree level statistics is all pure anyway - it becomes so theoretical its silly. I had a statistics exam that basically the only numbers on the paper were the question numbers & the statistics involved were all algebraic.

I also did a module that was so farcical we renamed it "Continuous nonsensical piffle".

Well yes, but its easier to memorise them!

Too much stress in exams to go deriving them!

My best mates off to do a straight maths degree at warwick, but apparently he only has to do 50% pure maths, the rest can be anything he wants, and he wants do stats! Personally i hate it!

So im doing mechanical engineering instead!

Where you goin to do Mechanical engineering?

Nicki, did you do any stats at A-level?

Ive done 3 stats modules, 1,2 &3 suprise suprise! But the difference between stats 1 and stats 2 & 3 is unbeliveable, i got 93% first time round in stats one, yet in 2 and 3 i dont think ill get that between them!

Our physics course is soooo easy its unbelievable, if you do maths. Theres 7 of us in the class, 3 of which do maths, and we find it easy, but the other 4 really get confused when it comes to any number crunching!

I think the only reason i shouldnt be getting an A in physics is the coursework, which i have and never will be able to do well, so im kind of dreading uni in that sense! but im so looking forward to going and getting away from home!

I could well get slated for saying this, but i wish id appiled to do a maths degree now, enjoyed the pure ive benn doing lately, that i jus want to do more!

who cares,looks like the trucks been hi jacked along with this thread

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I know someone at Warwick doing Physics, not that that is very interesting.

On the subject of A-level maths I did Pure modules 1-6 (missed out 5), Mechanics 1 and 2 and a couple of stupid stats ones - so put that in you pipe and smoke it coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Im just a big geek innocent.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":innocent:" border="0" alt="innocent.gif" />