Honda Civic Type R

Tigz™

Since the demise of MG Rover my local dealership has been sitting empty.

Rode past today to see Honda have opened a dealership in its place.

Called in to take a good look at the interior of the new Civic, but couldn't get past the silly face wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Anyway, spotted a 54 plate graphite grey type R with 11k miles.

As usual before Id finished looking around one side of the car a sales man appeared rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Explained I wasn't buying, just stopping off to take a look.

Asked if I fancied going for a spin in the Demo car.

The Demo car was also graphite grey, but with more miles on a 55 plate.

First thing I noticed was just how heavy the steering was while reversing out the parking space.

Its been such a long time since I've come across a modern car, that felt like a car to steer.

Turning circle was pretty poor though, took two attempts to get it out the parking space.

I pulled onto the small carriageway leading to the island, really surprised how smooth it felt.

I had always expected the engine to be crap at low revs, but for the first couple of miles, I don't think I reached 4k rpm.

The ride was fantastic, better than the focus, and much better than the Renault.

The gearshift was great, didn't feel weird like I expected, it actually felt more natural than a 'normal' stick location.

Sweet short shift, and even with 22k miles, still felt really tight.

Turned onto the back lanes, and was stuck behind (ironically) a MG ZT.

Due to the blind bends, I was unable to overtake, and once I reached the open straight it turned off, so I didn't get the chance to test the over taking performance.

So for the first time, in second gear, I opened up the throttle, and hit 6k rpm.

Fantastic.

I always know what to expect, due to the numerous TV and mag reviews, but I didn't expect the feeling you get from the car.

As I said, the car was silky smooth, but with the cam change over, it turned into a different machine.

Engine sounded ace, yes its rough, but no more so than the Renault and it seemed smoother than the Ford lower revs so possible best of both worlds?

Id sampled the interior once before, when I sat in Twistys mums, and once again the seats amazed me.

They are such a nice place to be, really supportive, but you could spend the whole day in there without developing arthritis.

Not sure if Id buy one, although I like the way they look a lot more than I used to, I think its a car that couldn't help but mess with.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> My memory is poor, if I write it down I don't forget wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

joe took one of these out before he bought his gti and we were very impressed too. you think youve run out of revs and then it just suddenly starts over again!

Jen x

Lovely car. I had mine for almost a year and never felt the urge to mod it. it was perfect the way it is...

plus the fact if you wanted any decent bhp increase it would mean £££'s laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

It's fun when you hit 6k isn't it! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I remember the first time my mate took me out in his and I was thinking initially...yeah it feels pretty quick. Noticably quicker than my Arosa. Then he let it run to 8k in 2nd and I realised that it was a lot quicker than my car tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

A Honda type R engine with throttle bodies...mmmmm

Designed to rev hard, so make the most of it with some bodies.

Nice Monday morning read, but whats it doing in Lupo chat Andi? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

How much was the 54 plate up for, with 11k?

Ive no idea Andy, I was sure Id posted it in general..

The car was up at £14'000!

No gas dischage either sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Ive no idea Andy, I was sure Id posted it in general..

The car was up at £14'000!

No gas dischage either sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

A school boy error wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

14k, hmmm, not much more than that new, although I guess you'd be limited to whatever they have left in the system now.

It is a lot of cash, but like I say I dont think I would buy one.

Its still an ugly car/MPV.

Only really the Works Cooper I want to test drive now wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

How much will the prices decrease with the arrival of the new type R early next year? I can see a huge depreaciation as the new civic should be a right tool!

Thats quite a bit of cash. I put down a deposit on a brand new 55 plate last october which was 16k.

I think their a great drive, but I'm not sure if I could stay out of VTEC that much and therefore I'd have to live in a petrol station sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I dont know what the depreciation is like now. but I bought a new one in July 2004 for £14800 and when I came to p/x for the golf it had 20,000 miles on the clock and they gave me £14400 for it! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

only downside I really found was the petrol consumtion. 26mpg i think i averaged sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Oh, it drinks oil too!

Had to top up 2 litres in the first 1500 miles. It settled down after 3000 mind. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Id be supprised if the price drops alot.

Look at the ITRs, the older ones are still fetching good money.

That's got to be largely due to the fact it's very hard to get hold of a new Integra (i.e. you have to import one from Japan, either directly or through a broker) and also due to it being an import, the insurance is a bit ridiculous.

I think that if they sold the new Integra in the UK, the old one would plummet in value hugely (as would Civic sales).

hi just sold my ctr tigs due to it costing to much for me run aswell as my bike, but it was fantastic for the short time i had it. the v-tec is addictive and VERY VERY THIRSTY! ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> unfortunatly it was costing me an extra £20 a week in fuel, and my renewal quote was £1200 which i wasnt prepared to pay.

iv just brought me a 2004 a2 tdi sport, which be easy 2k a year cheaper for me to run so i get to keep my r6 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> .

but 100% you will love one if you buy it. its built brilliantly and is very fun to drive.